Kids these days...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Super Cameraman
Kids these days...

Post by Super Cameraman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:37 pm

I was reading this article on Wired and it reminded me of something that happened to me the other night.

I introduced my 6 year old cousin, who is obsessed with Mario, a Super Nintendo. I let him play Yoshi's Island, which he was decent at because he had played it on his DS already. When I blew in the cartridge, mainly out of habit, but also because the game was not turning on, he was confused and asked me why I did that. I didn't have any other answer except that "It's old."

Have any of you guys had similar experiences? Like for example, showing kids a VCR and them not knowing what it was?

EDIT: Also I showed the kid the D-pad on the SNES controller and asked him "what does this look like?" Expecting something like "A DS" or "that thing on a DS" but he didn't recognize it as a D-pad....
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Schmeman

Re: Kids these days...

Post by Schmeman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:51 pm

Heh, when that article mentioned turning the playstation to load it reminded me of how I had to eventually turn my ps2 upside down in order for it to load anything... you know up until it died.

But anyways, so I work at a peter piper pizza and there we have to deal with a lot of kids. So one day I was thinking of all the movies I watched as a kid; back to the future, Jurassic park, etc.. and I asked a bunch of kids if they had seen the movies... not a single one had. I feel bad for the next generation, it's too "Ugh". If you know what I mean.
Currently Playing:

Xenogears
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Parasite Eve

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 pm

Schmeman wrote: I feel bad for the next generation, it's too "Ugh". If you know what I mean.
i believe the term is "sheltered"

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:20 am

The other day, my sister (she's 12) popped a VHS tape into our VCR/DVD player (using the VCR portion for the first time in awhile), and it greeted her with "Hi-Fi" on the screen, as the tape had Hi-Fi audio. And her reaction was "Wow, Hi-Fi? That's weird. I'm so used to seeing Wi-Fi." :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Made me feel really old.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:48 am

How about audio cassettes, vinyl albums, electronic and manual typewriters (days before internet)? Must seem like antiques to the new generation, and most of you guys! - yet it wasn't that many years ago when they were "in" - about 25 years ago - I was using them!

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:42 am

I'm 18

I've played a NES and SMS, i've used a VHS a million times, i've used an electronic typewriter, i've used a record player, I can appreciate the value in antiques, I still love 80's and 70's music and movies..

believe me, it's not that bad, some of us are in the know :P I do feel sorry for any kid who hasnt seen Back to the Future though, I shown a mate of mine whos 14 the 3 films for the very first time and he agreed they didnt seem in any way old.

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:24 am

I'm only 15, but I still love old movies. The other day I heard a kid ask "What's the lion king?"
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

robm

Post by robm » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:17 am

thewise1 wrote:I'm only 15, but I still love old movies. The other day I heard a kid ask "What's the lion king?"
Not that I would consider that movie all that old (now that I think about it... it's over 10 years old now, isn't it?) but yeah, it's considered a classic and is part of any parent's video repertoire that I know of.

My kids were watching TV, an older movie, don't remember what one. One of the characters had one of those old cassette-player walkmans, and they said something about it. My daughter asks, "Dad... what's a cassette?" After imitating a flopping fish for a couple of minutes, I discovered something even more distressing... I don't own a single cassette anymore, so I couldn't even show her in real life what a cassette is.

My son found my box of old LPs... he drug one out, I think a Rush album, and said, "LOOK... I found a WHOLE BOX of FRISBEES!!" Me, running: "Nooooooooooooooooo...."

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:54 am

im only 20 and even I feel old. a lot of the stuff i grew up with is completly unknown to the younglings around now. plus with my love of all things retro i am surrounded by all kinds of things that little kids have never heard of like VHS, CED, cassette and vinyl albums,8 and 16mm films, film cameras, CRT televisions, any videogame system older than ps2, all the great TV shows and movies i grew up watching, and the classics as well

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:46 pm

My favourite times were the days before surface mount electronics. Back when electronics were rock solid and didn't die if you dropped them.

But I guess it's kind of like what Bacteria said. I mean, those things are really old and obsolete. I've never thought about using them because you can't buy them new, you don't see commercials for them, and most have been replaced by modern technology. That's the young'uns' mindset too. Out of sight, out of mind, if you don't mind a misuse of the quote.
Hey, sup?

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:01 pm

I saw a kid with a DSLite at the store today. I was in the "coolest" part of the store, a refrigerated room, with yogurt, milk, crumpets....donuts....mmm. Anyways, I had a thought. The next generation of gamers will be raised by gimmicks, shovelware, and overly user friendly devices.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:20 pm

yeah, I'm only 23 and many a time I feel old...unlike pretty much all the people I know who are my age or younger...I actually have a physical music collection consisting of CDs and Vinyl. ..plus my hatred for compression confuses people too, lol. I'm so used to listening to high quality vinyl and cds that I just can't listen to anything remotely compressed down...it just sounds terrible.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:34 pm

I grew up listening to cassettes and cds. I only ever watched vhs tapes too. I love listening to vinyl records and have started collecting them. All my consoles are old ones. I have a laserdisc player and have started colling LDs too.

I'm only 15 years old. My parents never deprived me of the good technology. I can't stand modern crap. All new movies suck, and so does most new music. I dislike mp3s too.

These days suck so horribly that I wish I could go back in time to the 80's, when all the best movies, music, and audio/video formats were around.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:48 pm

me too, and i'm 14.
i hate the new stuff. i'd rather play hogan's alley then grand theft auto
Citizen Kane

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:01 pm

I love all the old stuff, you can't beat a good game of starfox 64 or the Legend of zelda, but I stay in the now too with xbox 360. As for my music, my collection is on iTunes but I have most of the albums on CD. I also have a large collection of Vinyls. I never was much for collecting old video games, all I had as a kid was a 64 and a GameBoy. I played all the other systems at my friends houses XD
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.