Kids these days...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ghosstt
Re: Kids these days...

Post by ghosstt » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:37 pm

Hackmodford wrote:But I've probably seen more "old" movies than new ones.
Likewise. I think maybe I see 2-3 new movies per year, and that is a lot.
Kurt_ wrote: I mean, those things are really old and obsolete. I've never thought about using them because you can't buy them new, you don't see commercials for them, and most have been replaced by modern technology.
Actually that is wrong.

When I was stocking some inventory at a new Walgreens opening up today, I was extremely surprised. In the "electronics" aisle were the things like Blank DVDs, Blank CDs, a few Digital Cameras, and some mice, headsets, etc. etc. Well, when I opened a box to unload some things, there were Cassette players, CD players, Walkmans, and AM/FM radio receivers. They even had blank cassettes and VHS mini tapes! Quite a suprise! (The CD players were even behind a locked rack)

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:16 am

Hmm i'm not one for old technology.

Give a Bluray Player & iPod over a VCR and Record Player any day.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:01 am

everyone with musical inclination knows that a record player crap on everything else for quality, the old atari' pc's still give better quality sound recording than most modern pc's.
and on the gaming side
nintendo 64 was the pinnacle of gameplay vs graphics (nowadays gameplay goes down, graphics goes up)
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:18 am

Vinyl has a unique quality to it, but I'm not sure I'd call it better than a Super Audio CD or an Audio DVD. I'm not sure how a computer from the late 70s or early 80s could record audio at a better quality than modern day equipment, care to elaborate? As far as the N64 goes, yeah there were a couple of games there I really remember enjoying, but there are plenty of games that have come out since that I've enjoyed more, as well as others that came out before it. It's all a matter of opinion.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:22 am

Being part of a punk Music scene meant we tended to get a bit more use things like cassettes and 7" records :lol:

But havent done in quite a while, not since CD-R drives became so dirt cheap that even the crustiest of bands could get their hands on one. Bands still put out 7" but its always a small scale novelty thing alongside a CD.

I do love my old games consoles (but then if we're here im sure we all do :lol: ) but i dont miss having to wind tapes backwards and forwards to find the right track or having to walk in a special way to stop your CD walkman from skipping in your bag. MP3 players are a godsend.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:48 am

Does anyone remember the days before the internet revolution? BBS on a 1200 bps?
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:16 am

Not quite, but I remember tying up the phone line playing an hour or two of Starcraft on a 28k modem.
Hey, sup?

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:56 am

blaze3927 wrote:everyone with musical inclination knows that a record player crap on everything else for quality
That may be true, you'll just be hard pressed to find someone who cares at all tbh

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:
blaze3927 wrote:everyone with musical inclination knows that a record player crap on everything else for quality
That may be true, you'll just be hard pressed to find someone who cares at all tbh
yeah...things like that make me sad...people don't care for quality anymore. It's quantity over quality these days. Something must be done to revive the hi-fi!!!! Down with lo-fi and compression!!!
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:24 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:
yeah...things like that make me sad...people don't care for quality anymore. It's quantity over quality these days. Something must be done to revive the hi-fi!!!! Down with lo-fi and compression!!!
I'm quite the opposite, I have about 10000 mp3 files on my PC, the cost and size of that in vinyl would take the piss tbh, not to mention Vinyl crackles and breaks easy.

It is a good, and probably the best quality audio source out there, but it's not practical enough for everyday usage these days.

EDIT: What I don't agree with, is how ruined the mastering process is on some modern CDS (a practice which thank god is dying), don't hard-limit it and you can truthfully say, CD > Vinyl.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:06 pm

vinyl is and always will be my favorite music format. I only wish that therre was a portable record player that could play 45 rpm records. It would be like magic walking down the steet listening to Flying High Again by ozzy osbourne on a vintage 45 rpm record.

In fact, I think I have a new project ahead of me.

Oh, and for anybody who cares, I have a few 8-track tapes that I still occasionally listen to.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

RockNRoll!

Post by RockNRoll! » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:What I don't agree with, is how ruined the mastering process is on some modern CDS (a practice which thank god is dying), don't hard-limit it and you can truthfully say, CD > Vinyl.
This is what bothers me the most, they master everything way to goddamn loud. New music distorts way too easily on my old truck stereo but old music sounds great no matter how high I crank the volume. Good thing most good music came out before computers started effing up the quality.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:09 pm

themadhacker wrote:vinyl is and always will be my favorite music format. I only wish that therre was a portable record player that could play 45 rpm records. It would be like magic walking down the steet listening to Flying High Again by ozzy osbourne on a vintage 45 rpm record.

In fact, I think I have a new project ahead of me.

Oh, and for anybody who cares, I have a few 8-track tapes that I still occasionally listen to.
But it's still not the same without vacuum tubes.

Screw transistors; all of my radios have tubes.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:19 pm

RockNRoll! wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:What I don't agree with, is how ruined the mastering process is on some modern CDS (a practice which thank god is dying), don't hard-limit it and you can truthfully say, CD > Vinyl.
This is what bothers me the most, they master everything way to goddamn loud. New music distorts way too easily on my old truck stereo but old music sounds great no matter how high I crank the volume. Good thing most good music came out before computers started effing up the quality.
Thats because new music is mastered at a much higher volume that older records

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:44 pm

As far as technology goes my family has always been about half a step behind society. The only reason we have an LCD tv is because it was a gift (nice ass gift though). I finally got my butt in gear and bought a fairly decent Technics turntable and found my parents old music on 33's. It does have a deeper, richer, tone than CD's or mp3's. I only have receivers in use from about 18+ years. The current one in my big home stereo is 33 years old but it's not a tube (too expensive).

I'm 17 and am very influenced from older technology that I will not be able to just let my kids or even young-ins around me go by in the dark.

But just to play devils advocate, do you think that farmers wish they could go back to use spades, shovels, and horse drawn plows instead of their new fancy farm equipment? :lol: