Radio Shack is dead. Long live "The Shack"?...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

palmertech
Radio Shack is dead. Long live "The Shack"?...

Post by palmertech » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Radio Shack, struggling to sell anything to compete with megastores like BestBuy or Wal-Mart, needed a new strategy. They should return to what they started, and sell electrical components and repair parts and tools, right? WRONG, I guess. They think the best way to move forward is to rename themselves to "The Shack". I crap you not.

Why do they want to be "The Shack"?

Seriously, this is the worst idea they have ever had. They are going to stop selling electrical components, and focus more on HDTVs and Laptops. "The Shack" is the most worthless idea I have ever heard of in my life. If I want a laptop, I will go somewhere that sells laptops with a wide selection, probably online. If I want overpriced electrical parts in a short timeframe, I go to radioshack. Besides, "The Shack" sounds lame and run-down, not just vintage/offbeat like RadioShack. I would seriously be happier if they just called it RatShack.

Link to story: http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/02/radi ... the-shack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Discuss.

Excellent

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Radio Shack is dead. Long live "The Shack"?...

Post by bicostp » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:32 pm

So they used to be an electronics store, then they became the cell phone store, then the poor man's Sharper Image, now they want to go toe-to-toe with Best Buy and Wal-Mart in the home entertainment market?!

EDIT:
palmertech wrote:I wish they would turn into a miniature version of Fry's.
They used to be. :( Years and years ago they carried all sorts of fun electronics gadgetry. Everything from build-it-yourself radio kits to kids' "electronics labs". (I probably still have the old 250-in-1 kit around somewhere. You know, the one with the spring terminals? :lol:)

Don't forget the Realistic stereo equipment and Tandy computers. Our old Realistic receiver from 1983 still works and sounds great.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:34 pm

Epic Fail :facepalm:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:37 pm

bicostp wrote:So they used to be an electronics store, then they became the cell phone store, then the poor man's Sharper Image, now they want to go toe-to-toe with Best Buy and Wal-Mart in the home entertainment market?!
Pretty much a perfect analysis. Then again, the "Sharper Image" approach was obviously not working too well; I mean, there is a reason Sharper Image went bankrupt. :(

I wish they would turn into a miniature version of Fry's.

Excellent

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:44 pm

I always used to call it CrapShack, but now...

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:48 pm

"the shack" sounds like some sort of terrible restaurant chain none of us have ever heard of. i don't know why, it just does to me. so much for Radio Shack. :(
Citizen Kane

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Wow, it does sound like a restaurant...first image that popped into my head when I read that name was an aged seafood joint near a dock :lol:

That's pretty sad tho...how they've progressed, er um, more like regressed, actually. They used to make some fine stuff there. My entire stereo system (amp, eq, speeks, ect) was made by Realistic--most of the equipment is 30 years old now and still cranks!

I remember a time when a trip to radio shack was a fun time...seeing walls filled with cool amps and awesome speakers....then going to the back area, and digging through the seemingly endless supply of random parts. Good times.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:00 pm

(I probably still have the old 250-in-1 kit around somewhere. You know, the one with the spring terminals? :lol:)
YES!

But really, back in the good days of radio shack, electronics were mostly through hole, and surface mount things were expensive or unheard of. You could build simple modern electronics with a kit, and it was great. There's just no way they can continue with that. Few people want a build your own transistor radio kit, and radio shack has no reasonable way to construct a "build your own cellphone" kit, or a "build your own mp3/video player" kit that is half as good as modern day low-end electronics.
Hey, sup?

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:11 pm

Whats wrong with you guys?

I'm pumped.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Uhhhhhhhhhh Why?
gamemasterAS wrote:Whats wrong with you guys?

I'm pumped.

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:35 pm

sad... Maybe if we're lucky the last of the overpriced components will go on sale and become regular priced misc. components.

I don't want to revert to buying things online!!!
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

banditpaw1
Portablizer

Post by banditpaw1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm

So if the start karate the can be call Shack Fu like that crappy Snes game

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Hmmm. Wierd. Is it really going to be a legit name change? (An actual business change) or just a nickname they will force onto people? They are building one about 240 seconds from my house and the signage all says Radio Shack. Are they really going to change it all once it's completed? What a waste. :wtf:

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 pm

I heard they're redesigning

and selling this book:

Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Pretty lame. I also hear Pizza Hut is becoming "The Hut" (I shat you not), probably because pizza is "unhealthy" (but delicious!)

The Radio Shack I goto (West Town Mall, Madison WI) has a pretty good selection of parts, breadboards, even Basic Stamp robot kits, but it seems all they really do is sell cell phones to people who have never bought them before. I swear EVERY time I go in someone is buying a cell phone.

Technically a cell phone IS a Radio, so Radio Shack is (was?) fairly descriptive.