What's Going on Here?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Bino Gas
Portablizer
What's Going on Here?

Post by Bino Gas » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:43 am

It seems like everyone here is flocking to the ModRetro forums. I don't want to make anybody angry, but for what good reason would they want to leave the Benheck forums?

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: What's Going on Here?

Post by thewise1 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:56 am

It started with some of the more popular members leaving. Then since they're over there then you join them. Tha's why I joined modretro, but I still stay very much in contact.

Plus it's more of a democratic community, while here you can almost never contact benheck with complaints about the site. Modretro is much more user friendly. Some of the senior members say they try to keep up with both forums but end up staying on modretro.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:11 am

thewise1 wrote:It started with some of the more popular members leaving. Then since they're over there then you join them. Tha's why I joined modretro, but I still stay very much in contact.

Plus it's more of a democratic community, while here you can almost never contact benheck with complaints about the site. Modretro is much more user friendly. Some of the senior members say they try to keep up with both forums but end up staying on modretro.
What's wrong with the forums that would need Ben's involvement?

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:36 am

Some people just have different preferences. I'm part of both sites, if I had to compare the two I'd say that ModRetro is a little more friendly, and has a quicker response rate than here. I personally think the administration and moderators are a little more on their feet, as it didn't take them 3 or 4 years to add a new smiley. :P

In all due respects though, they're pretty much the same, the counterpart forum 47 is just as populated here, with not much else going on in the other forums. You can frequent both without being persecuted.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:06 am

thewise1 wrote:while here you can almost never contact benheck with complaints about the site.
You do realize Ben's not the only admin, right? There's gannon, me, Sparkfist, and Spongebuell. (Spongey even has FTP access to the forum subdomain now, so he's pretty much got the same level of access as Ben does.) The only thing different between Ben and the rest of the admins (as far as forum permissions go) is he can't be demoted because he's the founder. And of course there are numerous mods you can go to. We do talk to each other and keep each other up to date.

Here's a full list of moderators.
ShockSlayer wrote:ModRetro [...] has a quicker response rate than here.
Well yeah when everybody leaves that kinda happens. :lol:

[quiote]I personally think the administration and moderators are a little more on their feet, as it didn't take them 3 or 4 years to add a new smiley. :P[/quote]

Adding a smiley requires it to be uploaded locally to the server (You can't tell it " :hurr: = some Tinypic URL ".). As others have said, sometimes getting Ben to do something like that is like pulling teeth. (Understandable; he's got stuff to do.) It was only recently that one of us got a permanent FTP login so we can do that ourselves. And it's not like we're completely oblivious to problems (at least the ones people tell us about... :P), and we're on top of spammers and that kid who keeps trying to scam people in the trading post...

Really, many of the "problems" listed are more little quips that are really no big deal. The only major "problem" is that nobody ever comes to us (the staff) with their criticisms and comments. We are not psychic, and if you never tell us you have a problem with something, we don't know about your opinions and as a consequence cannot do anything to address them. Please don't accuse us of inaction because we're not solving problems we don't know about. We want to hear your feedback!

ShockSlayer wrote:You can frequent both without being persecuted.
Quoted for truth. I want it perfectly clear that you can freely be a member of both forums and not worry about it.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:12 am

bicostp wrote:The only major "problem" is that nobody ever comes to us (the staff) with their criticisms and comments. We are not psychic, and if you never tell us you have a problem with something, we don't know about your opinions and as a consequence cannot do anything to address them. Please don't accuse us of inaction because we're not solving problems we don't know about.
:lol: HYPOCRITE! What about embedding youtube videos, suggested by khaag? Or the ebay-like system that khaag suggested? Both of those just got blown off. Don't forget many people have wanted the old smilies back, and that never happened either.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:18 am

bicostp wrote:
thewise1 wrote:while here you can almost never contact benheck with complaints about the site.
You do realize Ben's not the only admin, right? There's gannon, me, Sparkfist, and Spongebuell. (Spongey even has FTP access to the forum subdomain now, so he's pretty much got the same level of access as Ben does.) The only thing different between Ben and the rest of the admins (as far as forum permissions go) is he can't be demoted because he's the founder. And of course there are numerous mods you can go to. We do talk to each other and keep each other up to date.

Here's a full list of moderators.

Well the last time I remember a conversation about some changes being made to he forums it that they needed to go through ben first. I don't remember anything about having the same power as ben over the forums.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:21 am

Embedding youtube videos: I've been trying to get it working right (off and on) for a while now, but the BBcode is being annoying. (That is, "following-official-tutorials-and-it-doesn't-work" annoying. :facepalm:) It shouldn't need an addon, but it might. If you want Youtube embedding so bad, could you please post the BBcode setup form the admin panel over here in

Code: Select all

tags? Maybe something got messed up in the past phpbb update.

EDIT: I finally found the problem. Stupid me forgot to remove the "/watch?v=" part from the URL. :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm: 

It should work now.

[yt=480,320]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhCG1NbLFrU[/yt]

Old smileys: See previous point about adding new ones. (For the longest time we couldn't because you have to upload them to the server.) Phpbb3 doesn't include the old ones; we had to track down and manually add the ones we scrounged up.

Ebay feedback system: Needs FTP access to install the addon. Now that we have that, we're trying to find one that works right without being intrusive. This one looks pretty good:
http://www.shockmaker.com/projects/shmk_user_feedback/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: [quote]Well the last time I remember a conversation about some changes being made to he forums it that they needed to go through ben first. I don't remember anything about having the same power as ben over the forums.[/quote]

I think he just meant he had to clear it with Ben to make sure it was okay. I don't know the specifics on that; you'll have to ask him.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:48 am

Yeah, I know that ben can be the most productive lazy person in the world when it comes to the forums. :P I know that as long as you have FTP access its easy as hell to add smilies in phpBB3, so....yeah, that.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:16 am

I'll always be apart of Benheck. I just like the community here.

I may sign up for modretro sometime, but I believe BH forums will always be more popular for me.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:36 am

A wise man once put in his signature: "United we stand, divided we crash and burn into obscurity."
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:54 am

The reason people leave benheck.com apparently is because we don't have a flustering gallery of smiles and the ability to post YouTube videos. Defending these forums is getting pretty lame though, there's really no need. Have fun there, modretro.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:46 am

Skyone wrote:The reason people leave benheck.com apparently is because we don't have a flustering gallery of smiles and the ability to post YouTube videos. Defending these forums is getting pretty lame though, there's really no need. Have fun there, modretro.
Don't forget the part that most of the mods are dicks.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

collinE

Post by collinE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:24 pm

eurddrue, you can't be serious. I'm betting most of your problems with the mods stem from you getting banned all the time... for being a dick.

I think modretro is more active because 1) it's newer and 2) The only people who know about it are active members from here with something to prove. Four or five years from now, who knows what it'll be like? It may turn out to be exactly like these forums with new kids asking dumb questions and then who won?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:40 pm

eurddrue wrote:Don't forget the part that most of the mods are dicks.
Then explain yourself. Give some examples of times when moderators have been "dicks", more so than you, or even the average user.

P.S. your being banned for not following the rules multiple times is not an example. Save these stories to protect yourself from looking like a moron.

P.P.S. if you think this post is "dick":