Must see movies

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Paj
PSN Username:geiranton
Re: Must see movies

Post by Paj » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:32 pm

My favorites are Transformers 1, Transformers 2 and Iron Man :o

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:57 pm

tom61 wrote:If we had enough users I'm pretty sure we'd get a significant subset of all movies ever made... There are quite a few movies I'd question as being classics, much less being 'must see movies'.

If you're a computer geek you need to see:
WarGames http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and for the heck of it, add this to your netflix cue:
Colossus: The Forbin Project http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you think any on my list aren't classics?

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:28 pm

Paj wrote:My favorites are Transformers 1, Transformers 2 and Iron Man :o
*shudder*

Iron Man > Transformers 1 > Transformers 2 - although I wouldn't call any "must see"

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:05 pm

If you're looking for true classics that should be seen by everyone at least once in their lives, then here's my list:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - My all time favorite and it is brilliant to boot. Clint!!!

2001: A Space Odyssey - To me this is the 'best' film ever made. It is the perfect embodiment of what film can be.

Lawrence of Arabia - Has one of the greatest and most iconic performances of all time from Peter O'toole and it is just flat out gorgeous. One of those movies that was definitely of it's time. Hollywood can and will never make a movie like this again.

As far as recent greatness is concerned, here's a couple...

Tell No One - A French thriller that was released last year in the US. This was my pick for best picture of 2008 and is one of the best mystery/thrillers I have ever seen. I know I will still have this movie within arm's reach 20 years from now.

The Prestige - An excellent mindbender of a film anchored by great performances all around. After seeing it for the first time, I immediately watched it again, because I wanted to see how it was done. Amazing movie...

Unbreakable - This is the best superhero movie ever made. It is an origin story of not only the hero, but the villain as well. Oh, and get this... It is completely original! Hollywood keeps crapping out pointless sequels that no one wants to see. Why don't they greenlight a sequel to this. It would kick all kinds of ass!

There are many more, but I will stop there. :D

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:21 pm

weaponepsilon wrote:WTF?

NO one has even mentioned the single greatest movie:

Terminator 2
I have it on LaserDisc! Same with "Apollo 13," which I will agree is a great film - Tom Hanks is by far one of my favorite actors.

I thought "No Country For Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood" were excellent, as well, though I thought the ending for the former was quite dissatisfying...

Oh, and the "Star Trek" movie that came out this summer. I knew next to nothing about the Star Trek universe going into it, yet I absolutely adored the movie.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

alentris

Post by alentris » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:57 pm

jones wrote: The Prestige - An excellent mindbender of a film anchored by great performances all around. After seeing it for the first time, I immediately watched it again, because I wanted to see how it was done. Amazing movie...
It was great... But I didn't get it until the 4th time watching it... Probably THE most confusing movie I have ever seen. Other good movie:

LOTR: Return of the King

limpport

Post by limpport » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Lord of the Rings Trilogy extended editions
Dark City
A Scanner Darkly
The Village
Watchmen
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Silence of the Lambs
The Matrix Trilogy
Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother
(The original) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Port Washington

AfroLH

Post by AfroLH » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:41 pm

limpport wrote:Watchmen
Everyone should also read the book.

limpport

Post by limpport » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:08 pm

AfroLH wrote:
limpport wrote:Watchmen
Everyone should also read the book.
Please please PLEASE read it before watching the the movie! I read it over a year before they announced the movie. I'm glad I was into it before the movie wave.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:33 am

Sorry, couldn't resist...
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:44 am

Gran Torino was pretty good, the old man reminded me exactly of my old weight training teacher.

:evil: :evil: :evil: Get off my lawn... :evil: :evil: :evil:
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:05 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:
tom61 wrote:If we had enough users I'm pretty sure we'd get a significant subset of all movies ever made... There are quite a few movies I'd question as being classics, much less being 'must see movies'.

If you're a computer geek you need to see:
WarGames http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and for the heck of it, add this to your netflix cue:
Colossus: The Forbin Project http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you think any on my list aren't classics?
Nope, your list looks pretty good. I was more talking about Anchorman and Iron Man. Iron Man was geek-filled with interesting toys, but I can't even remember the plot now (it did have one, right?) Anchorman just isn't my kind of movie, my brother loves it, and I really wish he would stop quoting it. I put it in the same category as Napoleon Dynamite, quotable, but not much else. Variation in taste I suppose.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:26 pm

weaponepsilon wrote:Image

I'd watch that :lol:
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:04 pm

weaponepsilon wrote:Image

What we really need is a God of War movie with Vin Diesel as Kratos!

That would kick all the ass. :)
alentris wrote:
jones wrote: The Prestige - An excellent mindbender of a film anchored by great performances all around. After seeing it for the first time, I immediately watched it again, because I wanted to see how it was done. Amazing movie...
It was great... But I didn't get it until the 4th time watching it... Probably THE most confusing movie I have ever seen. Other good movie:

LOTR: Return of the King
I loved it though, because it was the rare Hollywood movie that actually challenges you while watching it. Watching it again allows you to fully realize it's genius. It the end the whole movie was a magic trick with the finale being the prestige of prestiges. :)

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:30 pm

it (it: the clown)

That movie's creepy.

Also, mighty ducks.