Best console for shmups?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

dragonhead
Best console for shmups?

Post by dragonhead » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:12 pm

just curious as your your opinions. what do you all think is the console with the best SHMUPS collection, import, homebrew, domestic, or otherwise? what shmups make it the best?

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Best console for shmups?

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Eh..I'd have to say the SEGA Genesis/CD....games like M.U.S.H.A. and ROBO ALESTE are among some of the best ever made, others like the Afterburner games, lightning & thunder force games are totally awesome too!
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:51 pm

For imports, Japanese Saturn hands down. Radiant Silvergun, Batsugun, Soukyugurentai, Twinkle Star Sprites, Don Pachi, DoDon Pachi, Cotton series, Paridous series, Cho Aniki & Steam Hearts (if you're into messed-up adult themes), I've played all these and they are amazing. There's tons more and I could go on for a while but read this instead.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/sat ... oters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:22 pm

If you don't mind it being legitimate emulation (I.E. Legal ROMs), the Wii has loads of shumps on Virtual Console/Virtual Arcade(unreleased, rares and commons for various systems), plus some Wii Ware originals, in addition to Gamecube shumps like Ikaruga. There was even talk of a shump to be released on disc for the Wii.

IMO, the ultimate platform for shumps is an actual arcade machine. Though, anything not in MAME and good is usually quite expensive.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:41 pm

tom61 wrote:If you don't mind it being legitimate emulation (I.E. Legal ROMs), the Wii has loads of shumps on Virtual Console/Virtual Arcade(unreleased, rares and commons for various systems), plus some Wii Ware originals, in addition to Gamecube shumps like Ikaruga. There was even talk of a shump to be released on disc for the Wii.

IMO, the ultimate platform for shumps is an actual arcade machine. Though, anything not in MAME and good is usually quite expensive.
stick with consoles please. no emulation etc. and arcade systems are usually just one game. lets stick to home consoles.

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:03 pm

I vote TG16/PC Engine. Tons of great shooters even if you don't get a Duo or CD add-on (though I recommend it).

Too many to list but here's a good start:

Blazing Lazers/Gunhed
Download
R-Type
Parodius Da
Nexzr
Aero Blasters
Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, Final Soldier
Lords of Thunder (my favorite shooter ever)
Gate of Thunder
Salamander
Galaga 88/90
Sapphire
Gradius 2

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:31 pm

jperryss wrote:I vote TG16/PC Engine. Tons of great shooters even if you don't get a Duo or CD add-on (though I recommend it).

Too many to list but here's a good start:

Blazing Lazers/Gunhed
Download
R-Type
Parodius Da
Nexzr
Aero Blasters
Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, Final Soldier
Lords of Thunder (my favorite shooter ever)
Gate of Thunder
Salamander
Galaga 88/90
Sapphire
Gradius 2
Don't forget about Air Zonk, Dead Moon, and Raiden.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:12 pm

The dreamcast has a lot of great shmups. In fact, companies that are still making unliscenced games for it are still comming out with great shmups. Look into "last hope"
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:48 am

I agree with the dreamcast statement.

Last Hope, Trigger Heart, etc.

skeneegee

Post by skeneegee » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:44 am

themadhacker wrote:The dreamcast has a lot of great shmups. In fact, companies that are still making unliscenced games for it are still comming out with great shmups. Look into "last hope"

Don't forget the most fun shmup ever, Bangai-O! The Dreamcast version is a hoot!

I think the newly released DUX is a steal for $26. It has been getting slammed in reviews for being too difficult but I think some people just aren't playing it right. It has it's own unique gameplay style, sort of like Ikaruga and R-type put together.

The mighty Genesis/Megadrive has Zero Wing!
Notorious wrote:Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:29 pm

I would say Dreamcast, due to the fact that there are STILL games being made for it, and that you can burn games, homebrew etc. The fact that companies are still choosing to develope games, (especially since most of those new games that are being developed are shmups), and that you can download and burn all those games, should be a good enough reason to pick the DC over any other console. AFAIK, the dreamcast has the longest living game development status, as ofcourse there are still new games coming out.

Also, incase you didn't know the dreamcast is VERY cheap these days.

So, cheap price, good games, games still being created, and the ability to burn any game, makes the Dreamcast a winner in my eyes.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:59 pm

ok lets clear somithing up here. im not looking for recommendations really. (already have a genesis, sega cd. and dreamcast, so im aware of their shmup libraries) im wondering what you personally think is the best out there. :D

now then, carry on.

skeneegee

Post by skeneegee » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:21 pm

dragonhead wrote:ok lets clear somithing up here. im not looking for recommendations really. (already have a genesis, sega cd. and dreamcast, so im aware of their shmup libraries) im wondering what you personally think is the best out there. :D

now then, carry on.

I'm sorry, it's so hard to choose, I only really play Radiant Silvergun on Saturn, but...

Dreamcast is where it's at! The control pad isn't as nice as the one on the Saturn control pads but it has the games.

Bangai-O - A more hardcore version than the N64. One of the most fun games I've ever played!

Ikaruga - Although I don't have a japanese Dreamcast this is a great game(I play it on GC)

Dux - I may just be facinated by it's newness, but it's unique play mechanics make it fun.

There are others I haven't tried but if I've learned anything, it's that if lot's of people rave about a game, they're probably right. Dreamcast seems to have many shmups that people love to play.

mg
Notorious wrote:Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:06 pm

Also, trigger heart excalia. Is great.

MegatronUK