So I went to Washington DC

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face
So I went to Washington DC

Post by gamemasterAS » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Like the title says, I went to DC and here is what I have to say about it. First I wanna say DC is pretty much awesome. Its one of those places you should visit at least once in your life because it has so much significance. So now I am going to show you some awesome pictures, tell you some of the things I got to see and do, and answer any questions about DC if I can.

first

The first tip I'm going to give is see all the monuments at night, they are less crowded and look nice lit up.

Second tip I'm going to give you is make full use of the metro, its dc's subway and its far cleaner, simpler and overall nicer then New York's or the L in Chicago. From what I have heard from friends its nicer the the subway in several other capitals in other countries as well. One thing you are going to want to remember is that you lose all cell signal when you go into the tunnels so bring something else to do.

Another thing you might want to think about is if you ever go where will you stay. Staying in DC is a total rip and the sublines extend far into the surrounding states, so my advice would be to go somewhere past Rosslyn on the orange line.

Another tip, if you go you are of course going to visit the capital and want a tour. The public tours have terribly long lines and waits. The best way to get around this is to contact your representative and they will book you for a private exclusive tour. This tour is free, has no waits and is move extensive. One of the neatest things about the private tour is the way you move from your congressman's offices to the capital is through underground tunnels used by the senators and congressmen. You will probably see no other people like yourself down there, so you feel mighty important.

I think now is a decent time to talk about food. DC Has some great food. If you want a cheap massive burger hope on the metro and go to Ray's Hell Burger. Its the best and biggest burger I have had in my life. If I remember Obama and Biden have both gone there. Its only 6.99. There was another place I went that was actually closer and had the best fries I have ever had in my life and a damn good hamburger as well, once the name comes back to me I will post it.

One thing you should avoid going to is the international spy museum. I heard it was good and I paid the 17 dollars or whatever it cost. It was not worth it at all, it may have been worth it for free but it was more of a play place for kids then a museum.The rooms were the smallest of any at any museum in DC and it was extremely crowded. So definitely steer clear and don't waste your time.

Now I will include some fun personal things that happened to me and some observations.

When I was on the steps of the Supreme Court building I saw a un marked black SUV zoom by. The windows were down and inside I saw four men in swat gear all holding some sort of assault rifle. I heard sirens go off for awhile but I had no idea what it was until I read the paper the next day.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02888.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So my guess is I saw the secret service making sure this went no where near the capital since it started out very near it.

The other coolest thing that happened possibly was my tour had 2 tour guides, one leading and one training. The one training was a cute girl who was 15. So I start to talk to her and find out I am talking and lightly flirting with my congressman's daughter. Was just kind of interesting to here her views on DC and what it was like to be that daughter of a congressmen.

So in general I would say DC is pretty much one of the coolest places I have vacationed it. As far as major cities go I would rate them like this

New York, New York
Washington, DC (extremely close second, might be my first if this was not my second trip)
Chicago, Illinois
And then if you are ever stuck in god for saken Texas San Antonio isn't to bad.

Questions? Comments?
Last edited by gamemasterAS on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: So I went to Washington DC

Post by bicostp » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:18 pm

Jeez you could spend DAYS wandering around the Smithsonian. There's just so much stuff there! :shock:

Did you visit the new memorial? I think it's for the Korean War or the Gulf War. (We went back in 2000 [when Clinton was in office; I just realized that :shock:], and it wasn't built yet.)

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:19 pm

bicostp wrote:Jeez you could spend DAYS wandering around the Smithsonian. There's just so much stuff there! :shock:

Did you visit the new memorial? I think it's for the Korean War or the Gulf War. (We went back in 2000 [when Clinton was in office; I just realized that :shock:], and it wasn't built yet.)
I think the latest was the World War two, it was pretty neat.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:41 pm

I've been there as well. The metro is actually a really interesting place if it's your first time there. It's kind of an "architectural feat" with the huge tunnels, and just how great it looks.

Tip 1: If your bored waiting for the metro, play a game! A popular one is to try and guess where the doors are going to land on the train, based on the lights that are near the edges.

I can also vouch for how awesome it is to see the monuments at night. It's really an amazing thing to see the pool at night, reflecting all of the lights.

Tip 2: If you go without a guide, make sure you know where your going. We couldn't find any of the monuments for quiet a while when we were trying to find them. :roll:
gamemasterAS wrote:I think the latest was the World War two, it was pretty neat.
I know that the korean war one is extremely cool to see at night. We went when there was a sort of mist, and with all of the statues of soldiers, it gave an extremely spooky vibe.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:32 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:Image
Did anybody else look at the topmost thing on this burger under the bun?

Does that not look like a small hairless rodent?!?

I'm not saying that it is, but just the the color of it combined with a fleck of something that looks like an eye instantly made me think small rodent. Creepy... :lol:

By the way, nice Star Wars shirt! :D

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:44 pm

I have never been to or seen a map of DC, but thanks to fallout 3 I could locate several districts, streets, and monuments. :D
Now to find Tenpenny Tower and Rivet City....
Skyone wrote:
typamc95 wrote:There called Roto-disc.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Roto-Disc
Game, set, match!

Squintus
Steam ID:tehsquint

Post by Squintus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:00 pm

I fell down the steps of the Jefferson Memorial, down by the water, when I visited DC when I was 8 or 9. That was fun :roll:

I don't remember anything exciting happening like SUVs or political stuff while I was there, though.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:08 pm

I totally agree about the Metro. Of the major cities I've been to I'd rate their transit like such:
DC Metro
Portland TriMet
Boston T
NYC Subway
And this is coming from someone who lives within walking distance of the Hudson River.

DC is great overall and I keep finding myself in that area every now and then. I have to go to do some of the touristy stuff again some time. I want to see the new Air and Space Museum.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

J.D

Post by J.D » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:22 am

I've only been to two metro areas - Portland metro area and the Seattle metro area. Portland sucks, although there are a few nice places. Seattle is ok, love the downtown though. My dream is to live in Issaqua.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:00 pm

You still in DC? I am hanging there right now, maybe we could meetup. Just got back from visiting Grossaffe. :mrgreen:

Excellent

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:52 am

palmertech wrote:You still in DC? I am hanging there right now, maybe we could meetup. Just got back from visiting Grossaffe. :mrgreen:
I am not unfortunately. Right now I am in a multi-million dollar home in Big Sky, Montana. I just found out that apparently Oprah and Bill Gates also have homes in this neighborhood.

Also I'm wondering has anyone here ever heard of stores called Murdoch's also known as The big R?

http://www.murdochs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know this a bit of a bump but I thought you guys might like to know I'm in the same neighborhood as Bill Gates lol.

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:30 pm

DC is pretty nice, but there are areas with incredible poverty. My sister lived in one, in a very nice shared house with other professionals. Her car got stolen of thanksgiving while we were there :/
Also a great place to go is Bens Chili Bowl. Its an amazing chili place with burgers and fries and all that good stuff, and has been supported by bill cosby and other celebrities.
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

gamemasterAS

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:52 pm

madc0w wrote:DC is pretty nice, but there are areas with incredible poverty. My sister lived in one, in a very nice shared house with other professionals. Her car got stolen of thanksgiving while we were there :/
Also a great place to go is Bens Chili Bowl. Its an amazing chili place with burgers and fries and all that good stuff, and has been supported by bill cosby and other celebrities.
I was very close to going there but went to Rays Hell Burger instead. Did I make the wrong decision?