If a school near you is ever moving...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Mario
If a school near you is ever moving...

Post by Mario » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:18 am

...go dumpster diving!

A school right next to my house is moving to a different location. To reduce what they have to pack up/move, and to generally just clean up, they threw out TONS of interesting things.

First, I got 15 unopened copies of Windows 2000 Pro (which are up for sale)

Some random electronics junk (fuse holders, bulb holder, wire nuts, some kind of brackets)

Just regular junk, which was a bunch of "attendance correction slips" which I duct taped together to make a giant notepad, some wire, and something called a Key-Bak (a retractable keyring)

22 clean baby food jars and 11 lids

Now, here comes the good stuff. I got an old Smith Corona electronic typewriter (can't find a date for it, guessing it's an early 90's model) with a FULL SPOOL of ink tape. The typewriter itself is also in excellent condition.

I found a giant USA atlas. Although the information is over 40 years old, it's a neat thing to have, and it's fun to look at the info in it. There was a page of TV broadcasting stations around the country; there were about 100 total. :P

It's enormous!

And now, my personal favorite. A medium-sized golden-rectangular electronics poster! ^_^

The funny thing is, the theme of the year was Conservation. Discuss how schools can be so wasteful, even though they claim of budget cuts and such.
Last edited by Mario on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: If a school near you is ever moving...

Post by bicostp » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:38 am

Nice finds! Do the Win2000 discs have any service packs preinstalled?

I bummed a bunch of crap from my high school before I graduated. An entire Pentium II computer, a PC from DEC (which got traded up to a P3 933 Compaq DeskPro SFF desktop), miscellaneous odds and ends...

This could have gone in the Garage Sales thread. ;) (It's basically become the "hey guys look what I got cheap/free!" thread, anyway.)
Mario wrote:The funny thing is, the theme of the year was Conservation. Discuss how schools can be so wasteful, even though they claim of budget cuts and such.
Subtle. :roll: :P

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:39 am

I recall a little while, my old school decided to renovate and upgrade everything. SO, I did some DD action

I scored a great mass of old computers, PA Amps/speakers and most importantly of all, I managed to get all of their old audio video editing equipment, which when new cost a few grand--most of it is still worth just as much :shock: ...if I can ever work up the energy, I'll be broadcasting random things an VHF channel 7 someday 8)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:07 pm

bicostp wrote:Nice finds! Do the Win2000 discs have any service packs preinstalled?

This could have gone in the Garage Sales thread. ;) (It's basically become the "hey guys look what I got cheap/free!" thread, anyway.)
A few have service pack 1 with them.
bicostp wrote:
Mario wrote:The funny thing is, the theme of the year was Conservation. Discuss how schools can be so wasteful, even though they claim of budget cuts and such.
Subtle. :roll: :P
It's not blogging! :P

Taiben

Post by Taiben » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Meh. Harder and harder to get support for any kind of 2k.

Nice find on them fuse holders an conduit clams though. And that keybaks an easy $15 at the local hardware store. Electric typewriters an awesome find though.
copulate all you goddamn smartasses.