Should Triton Remain a benheck moderator?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Should Triton stay a mod on bemheck, or should he resign

Poll ended at Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:01 am

Yes, Triton should remain a mod
76%
No, Triton is unfit to moderate
24%

Total votes: 88

SpongeBuell
Re: Should Triton Remain a benheck moderator?

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:30 am

Raise your hand if you've done nothing wrong in your entire life, and are absolutely perfect. Anyone?
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Should Triton Remain a benheck moderator

Post by bicostp » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 am

To me, this whole ordeal seems like nothing more than a personal beef. :? However, to be fair I'm refraining from voting because of potential conflict of interest allegations.
bacteria wrote:It is unprecedented to post personal PM's in a public way without the express permission of the parties involved. I never gave permission.
You want justice, you're not going to get it solely based on 'he said / she said' and spin doctoring. You wanted to make the whole issue public, so the public (basically acting as a huge jury) has the right to know the facts about what really happened. You can cry "unfair" all you want, but we can't take your personal spin on the issue as absolute truth.

Besides, you didn't complain about it when I posted the whole conversation in the other thread. Why the sudden shift?

If it makes you feel any better I'm double-checking the quotes for editing now. Go look them up yourself and cross-reference if you don't believe me.

EDIT:
(By "Correct" I mean "accurate to the original post", not "let's draw a conclusion based on its contents".)
The quoted PM exchange is correct.
The quote of your post on ModRetro is correct.
Life of Brian's quote from the "Let's clear the air" thread is correct.
Your quote from the "Let's clear the air" thread is correct.
Your quote that he says is in the feedback thread (but actually it's in "Let's clear the air") is correct.
Your quote from the "Palmertech in trouble" thread is correct
His quote of himself from the "Palmer in trouble" thread is correct

Conclusion: None of the quotes have been altered.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:08 am

As a mod you represent everybody equally. By having the sig, triton did not represent everybody equally. I vote no, as I think that made him unfit to be a moderator.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:18 am

SpongeBuell wrote:Raise your hand if you've done nothing wrong in your entire life, and are absolutely perfect. Anyone?
*raises hand* :lol:
bicostp wrote:To me, this whole ordeal seems like nothing more than a personal beef. :? However, to be fair I'm refraining from voting because of potential conflict of interest allegations.
Didn't Triton say in the other thread that none of the staff should vote? (I haven't)

AfroLH

Post by AfroLH » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:28 am

SpongeBuell wrote:Raise your hand if you've done nothing wrong in your entire life, and are absolutely perfect. Anyone?
*raises hand*

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:37 am

vskid wrote:Didn't Triton say in the other thread that none of the staff should vote? (I haven't)

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:55 am

Honestly, I don't see a very good reason for mods not to vote. In just about any other situation, when does that happen? If anything, the "heads" are given more authority, and that's not happening. If we weren't allowed to vote, that's a lot like saying that a politician IRL is not able to vote once in office, which you pretty much never see. Some may say that it's a conflict of interest because we're friends with John or something. I say that the same logic can be used for any non-mod, too, so it's hard to give that point much credibility.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

samus
Steam ID:masamus

Re: Should Triton Remain a benheck moderator

Post by samus » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:09 am

bacteria wrote:The PM's between Black Six and myself add a different hue to this anyway; however there is no relevance anymore as the matter is closed - see the old thread - I posted nearly an hour before this topic was started in the other thread about peace, Skyone locked the thread as I asked, matter closed, especially as everyone is sick of this anyway.
do you realize that you obviously aren't helping this by bringing that up.. well, probably, but it seems that the matter isn't closed, yet, because you keep talking about it.

others may seem to you to be bullying, but you don't know how to deal with one. all of this is absolutely ridiculous.

and if you take this as an attack, then i've lost all my respect for you.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:40 am

The mods should vote, if anything as moderators their opinion on whether Triton should stay a moderator is important. After all, they would be the most fit to say so. Its not a poll about whether or not the member's that are not mods believe it, but rather the member base in whole. To not vote would be against the number 1 rules in the moderator rulebook.
Lucretius, in the moderator rules topic wrote:1) You are still a member of this forum. Your powers are to be used only to aid the forum, and the rest of the time, you are an equal to the rest of the members.
Your vote COUNTS

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:45 am

Can't we all just get along?

Sweebez

Post by Sweebez » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:46 am

Triton,

I spent a great deal of time (not this year, but in years previous) on this website, and you were always a good and fair mod. Perhaps the logo was in poor taste, but the fact that you removed it was a powerful sign of your maturity. I don't think that *any* of Bacteria's PM's influenced your decision to remove the logo; Admins and Mods lose their "right" to be personally biased when they accept the role, and I think you realized its full meaning just in time.
========
Bacteria,

Someone who is fourty-something certainly has the life experience to know that every action is backed by someone who believes their cause is "just"? No one writes a message, then thinks "this goes against my beliefs, but I'm going to do it anyway" before hitting the submit button. You believe with all your heart that you are being victimized by a couple members, but have you considered that these people may have a reason (morally correct or not) for lashing out against you? It seems to me that instead of taking some time for self-reflection, you've tried to establish an "ultimate morality" in this issue. I'm sorry to say, but ultimate morality can never be enforced or (even identified) when imperfect beings are involved.

People are not driven by blind hatred, and their dislike of you is not tantamount to bullying. Also, even if it is, why would the "ends justify the means"? Do you truly realize the implications of such a hateful statement? The internet is not run by any sort of justice system, and calling out instances of Harassment, Bullying, or even Hypocracy, is a wasted effort. What did you hope to gain from calling out these alleged crimes? Five to ten years in jail?

I am a great believer in the power of love, and when I see what you've written about the subject, I can only disagree in the highest degree possible. Love can NEVER be a product of force, war, or anger. Love is freely given and slow to anger. Your posts have not indicated your understanding of love, and it makes it hard for me to empathise with your case.

Ultimately, what people seem to dislike about you is up to them. What they have given you credit for is your talents in portablizing, as well as your generally above-average grammar. I think that these two great things about you are clouding the issue a bit. If you look beyond those two things, and look to the spirit of your messages, what do I envision about the "internet" you? I feel like he is insecure and afraid of criticism. I feel like he needs not just respect, but reverence, and thinks that he is deserving of both. I feel like he is using a rather stupid incident as an outlet for some frusturation that he is getting either at home or work. Bacteria, I feel bad for you, but not for the reasons that you would have me do so.
========
All,

This was a dumb incident that got way out of hand.
Triton did not act professionally in this case. This was wrong.
Bacteria did not act professionally in this case. This was wrong as well.
Most of us did not act professionally in this case. This was the greatest wrong.

Since none of us had the guts to be professional,
I cannot judge one man for also failing in this regard.
Especially if he seems to have learned this lesson first-hand.

No one "won" this fight. No one was "right".
Triton soiled his hands and had the sense to clense them.
For that, he is deserving of his status of authority.

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:55 am

Triton are you serious? This forum wouldn't last a week without you at the helm! :lol:
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

J.D

Post by J.D » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:39 pm

Ehh...no. Although I do enjoy pissing you off though :lol:
Besides, you've lost my respect. You seem kinda like an ass, but that's just me.

neverused

Post by neverused » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:23 pm

The way I see it, Bacteria was wronged, did something about it, and Triton did corrected his part in it.

Triton has proven himself here mor than enough and Bactria has my respect more than almost anyone else here, but this whole thing is stupid. Why not make Bacteria a mod too? I know that's not part of this thread, but he obviously would be fair according to his standards, as is Triton.

I voted that Triton keep his position, but it would make sense to see Bacteria as a Mod too if that were possible.

Either way, doesn't this kind of effectively end all this? (I stole a pic, because I can't quote the stupid thing):

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:11 pm

I've met John (triton) several times in person, he's a very down to earth guy and isn't in the business of trying to screw over people. If he wasn't such a great guy then I wouldn't be driving my ass 4 hours up to his cornfield in Iowa just to hang out for a few days :lol:

Sweebez said everything I'm thinking, pretty much. The whole issue was handled in a reasonable timeframe and there's not much left to go over.

New users who just joined in the past few months; I would refrain from posting your opinion until you've seen things a bit longer-term.