Game Suggestions! (And other crap)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ghosstt
Game Suggestions! (And other crap)

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:02 am

Well, hopefully today, I'll be getting a 360 through a trade for an ipod. It comes with Oblivion and Skate, so I'm guessing I'll be playing Oblivion for QUITE a long time, and I can't wait. :lol: Does anyone have any other suggestions for some 360 games? I was thinking maybe prototype or Red Faction, since those seem kinda cool. So just list off some good games that you guys have played and I'll probably go try em out!

Questions
-Can you actually play full 360 games off your hard drive? Or does it just load some data to it, so it can read it faster? If it does the full game, can you borrow someone's game and just put it on your hard drive?
-Do even the lowest price range 360s have Component cables? (I know the regular ones come with the composite/component split cables)
-Are achievements ONLY for XBL accounts? If I start getting achievements now, and then get a LIVE account, will they carry over?

To keep this in forum 42:

Anyone play any good games recently? (Any console) What did you like about it? Dislikes?

I played some of mirrors edge recently.(PS3) It was actually really cool. I liked how intuitive it was, and everything seemed to flow smoothly from jump to jump. I also played Resistance 2 online, and WOW. That game is great too. I really like how you gain XP per bullet landed, not just per kill.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Re: Game Suggestions! (And other crap)

Post by marshallh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:21 am

The entire DVD image gets copied to your hard drive. it only checks the DVD when the game boots to make sure it matches. It doesn't have to be the exact disc.

It's possible to run your 360 with the drive cover off and just pull the disc off once it's loaded. I played COD5 for hours like this, off the hard drive.

Arcade 360s only have composite video cables. Premium and higher 360s have component cables.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 am

So it loads the game to your hard drive, but uses the CD to authorize that its the same game?

I'm not exactly sure which 360 version it is, but it comes with a 20 gig hard drive, so I'm assuming its above the arcade version. Or did they make the arcade version with a hard drive?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 am

It could be an Arcade with a 20 gig drive that was bought and installed later on.

Make sure it wasn't banned from Xbox Live if you want to play online. (Live bans by hardware, not by account.) This shouldn't be a problem as long as it wasn't chipped or softmodded at any point.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:54 am

Ya, I'm pretty sure its all good on that front. Anything else I need to know before I set it up and stuff? :lol:

Actually,

Vertical or Horizontal

I would think vertical lets it cool off better and has better airflow, but I could be wrong.

xtrmgam3r360

Post by xtrmgam3r360 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:31 pm

due to not having much space available mine is horizontally, but to make sure it gets enought airflow I put a soda cap underneath each corner to raise it up more. (probably not necessary but w/e)

J.D

Post by J.D » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:21 pm

Buy Fallout 3. One of the best games ever. And yes, you will be playing for a VERY LONG TIME. Especially when your little sister always deletes your saves :evil:

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:35 pm

I own the PS3 version, but whatever: Get "The Orange Box," whatever you do. $20 and you'll have five fantastic games to keep you occupied for quite some time.

Also, "Bioshock." Again, I have the PS3 version, but it's still a must-own nonetheless.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Oh. I forgot about orange box. I'm gonna go get that tomorrow.

PROBLEM!
I got both skate and oblivion with the 360, but there is a slight problem. When I'm on the dashboard and put in the game, it usually says play DVD, and then when I go to play it, the "put this in a 360" message comes up.. If I restart the system (So it loads on startup), it will work, but that's going to be very annoying. Any ideas?

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:31 pm

ghosstt wrote: Questions
-Are achievements ONLY for XBL accounts? If I start getting achievements now, and then get a LIVE account, will they carry over?
You can make a free Silver account and upgrade it to a Gold one later and it'll keep all of your achievements.
ghosstt wrote:Ya, I'm pretty sure its all good on that front. Anything else I need to know before I set it up and stuff? :lol:

Actually,

Vertical or Horizontal

I would think vertical lets it cool off better and has better airflow, but I could be wrong.
Horizontal, as the largest air vents are on the side opposite the harddrive. If it's vertical that part is on the ground and reducing your airflow.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 pm

Black Six wrote: You can make a free Silver account and upgrade it to a Gold one later and it'll keep all of your achievements.
Well, I just used the free month of Live they give you for free, so I'll probably just buy a card after its up.
Black Six wrote: Horizontal, as the largest air vents are on the side opposite the harddrive. If it's vertical that part is on the ground and reducing your airflow.
I would have figured vertical let the hot air dissipate through more surface area, but I guess a bigger vent is better.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:25 am

ghosstt wrote:
Black Six wrote: You can make a free Silver account and upgrade it to a Gold one later and it'll keep all of your achievements.
Well, I just used the free month of Live they give you for free, so I'll probably just buy a card after its up.
If you let your subscription last it'll just turn into a silver account and you can upgrade again any time later, just FYI.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:15 am

Hmmm. When I open the disc tray (after playing a game, to switch to a different one) the game is STILL spinning, and the try doesn't open all the way. It opens enough, but if you pull it, it opens all the way. Any idea whats causing this? I don't want to scratch the games from them spinning like that.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:46 pm

Ok, now it's just pissing me off. I put the game in, it reads, it says play DVD. etc.etc. Sometimes it works. When I open the tray, it doesn't open ALL the way, and the disc comes out spinning. Any ideas? Does anyone know which hole under the faceplate is the one that lets you move the laser back?

please help.. :lol:

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:40 pm

Thought I'd post my list of game suggestions:

- Oblivion (You already have this but make sure you play it)
- Braid (Get it, Get it, Get it)
- Mass Effect (In my opinion better than oblivion. This game is brilliantly epic and a lot of fun)
- Orange box goes without saying
- If you're into racing Forza 2
- Bioshock
- Halo 3 (for the multiplayer and online)
- Did I mention Mass Effect?
- GOW 1 & 2 (mindless fun with chainsaws)
- COD 4
- Viva Pinata if your into that kind of thing (which I'm not but my brother is)
- Banjo Kazooie (the remake not nuts and bolts) because the graphics are a bit better and that's enough for a fan of the 64 like me.