Ebay Advice

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator: Moderators

antrock101

Ebay Advice

Post by antrock101 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:11 pm

I recently dispatched an item at 25 gbp standard british rate to portugal, The item was 2.6 in weight at over 30 pounds postage, however i broke the item into to boxes with a total of 15 pounds, leaving 10 pounds for materials and handling fee. The customer is demanding the diffrence of 10 pounds however i do not think i should have to pay this back to him as it was standard rate and covered postage and handling for such a heavy item. Was i in the wrong and should i refund him for over charging?

His email
Hi, i received the games today and as i suspected you have overcharged me because both packets cost 7.99 + 6.89 = 14.88 GBP. So please refund me in the next 48h or i will have no other choice than leaving you negative feedback and report to Ebay for overcharging. Thanks.
My email back
Dear miguel.freitas,
Just recieved your email, Postage covers handing and materials to protect it. further more i thought the postage would have been 30/40 gbp hence the break up of parcels snet after the money was recieved. I am willing to refund you however i need to contact ebay customer services to ask about there policy on overcharging regarding handling fee as it was set as standard rate.I would rather do this than us have a dispute over the costs. I ask you please to await this as also the money has been sent to my bank and will not clear for 3-5 days before i can send it back. I hope we can come to a conclusion in the following days in a civil manner.If this does not satisfy you please email back i will be up for the next hour.
Regards Anthony
HOLY FREAKIN MOTHER OF JESUS CHRIST! THAT CASE IS HUGE!

Perhaps you may buy a smaller one.

antrock101

Re: Ebay Advice

Post by antrock101 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:13 pm

i frogot to stat he took 11 days to pay me and was being very awkard. Please tell me if i was wrong and if i have delt with it in a calm manner, i'm more than willing to refund him.

nevermind1534
Steam ID: nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:28 pm

I wouldn't charge a handling fee, but if he agreed to pay it, he agreed, and is now going back on it. I probably wouldn't refund it. Out of curiosity, what is their ebay username?
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Triton
360 GamerTag: triton199
Steam ID: triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:36 pm

I would say you are in the right here, if he took 11 days to pay then pitches a fit over 10GBP :roll: from his message the guy sounds like a total flake and borderline scammer. ebay has ROYALLY screwed over sellers with all this new BS to "protect the buyer" aparently its OK for us sellers to get scammed :evil:

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Triton wrote:I would say you are in the right here, if he took 11 days to pay then pitches a fit over 10GBP :roll: from his message the guy sounds like a total flake and borderline scammer. ebay has ROYALLY screwed over sellers with all this new BS to "protect the buyer" aparently its OK for us sellers to get scammed :evil:
I hate it; I've been scammed once already.

antrock101

Post by antrock101 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:58 pm

yeah its a joke 3 pound max postage, i lost money selling stuff on there, and ebays advice was up your price when i emailed them!

his name is miguel.freitas I have a case open agasint him because he took so long

antrock101

Post by antrock101 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:45 pm

ebay are really taking the piss i just added an item to sell, some snes games i'm now not allowed to charge postage so if i sell an item for 10 the shipping is 5 and the ebay fees are around 75p i got less than 5 quid for my items! what a joke avoid selling on ebay at all costs

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:26 pm

antrock101 wrote:ebay are really taking the piss i just added an item to sell, some snes games i'm now not allowed to charge postage so if i sell an item for 10 the shipping is 5 and the ebay fees are around 75p i got less than 5 quid for my items! what a joke avoid selling on ebay at all costs
Ebay allows you to charge postage. Did you put a check in the box that said "free shipping"?

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID: cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:40 pm

I wouldn't refund him. It's called handling charges along with shipping. Besides, if he paid already he paid. If there is no problems with his merchandise on his end then he's a flake.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:26 pm

If you quoted a postage price in your listing, then it doesn't matter if the actual postage is more or less than that, the buyer agrees to pay the stated amount at the time of the transaction, that is the contract. If you want to complain to e-bay, do so on the basis that the buyer is trying to blackmail you with negative feedback and ask for his feedback to be deleted.

In regards to postage that e-bay "allow" - one way around this would be to list your items that need more postage into a completely different product category that allows for more postage to be included. People will find your items listed by your descriptions anyway. You can't demand or ask for more money once someone wins the bid, what they see is what they pay, not additional wording in the description.

antrock101

Post by antrock101 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Ebay allows you to charge postage. Did you put a check in the box that said "free shipping"?
positive
If you want to complain to e-bay, do so on the basis that the buyer is trying to blackmail you with negative feedback and ask for his feedback to be deleted.

In regards to postage that e-bay "allow" - one way around this would be to list your items that need more postage into a completely different product category that allows for more postage to be included. People will find your items listed by your descriptions anyway. You can't demand or ask for more money once someone wins the bid, what they see is what they pay, not additional wording in the description.
I never knew that diffrent categorys get diffrent pricing!, I don't want to demand money after, I've started excluding internation bidders from my items, as when you set the postage its for your country and you set a postage once an internation bidder has bought the item according to Ebays bad customer service.I didnt simple add the charge on i told him what i expected for postage handling and materials he agreed and when he recieved the item with the cost of the postage on it he complained. But then like anyone who has an argument he believe he is right therefore i wanted to get your opinions as most of you are experienced sellers and buyers

I think your right tho, if he's gonna get pissy about 10gbp which he has already paid i might report him for blackmail as that is a bannable offence.

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:52 pm

When I sell on the US ebay, I have free shipping for cheapest domestic option, and input the weight for the shipping calculator to give a price for the international and more expensive domestic shipping options.

MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:06 am

I get a bit pissed if I buy something from Ebay that maybe has a £5 postage fee and it comes in just a standard envelope and with £1 worth of stamps, I might leave a neutral feedback but I certainly wouldn't try to claim money back. I understand as a buyer that the cost listed for postage is not just the the number of stamps on the package, but sometimes I think sellers can take it too far.

I think it's a difficult balancing act to get the regulations right for both buyer and seller; IMO as a buyer I disliked the old system where a lot of sellers would use the 'feedback hostage' game to ensure that you left positive feedback for them first. As far as I'm concerned if I communicate promptly and pay quickly then I've completed my side of the transaction.

In your case I would say that he's just trying it on - the postage costs were quite clearly shown up front. If it only cost you a tenner to post everything (by that I mean materials + actual shipping cost) I think he'd probably be justified to leave a negative comment (obviously that's not the case), but he can't claim that he didn't know the cost up front.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:22 am

To take your example, if someone charges me £5 for postage that costs £1 I just give them 4* or 3* in the postage price feedback score; I would not give anyone negative or neutral feedback for this, as my bid price would have taken into account the cost of the whole item, including postage anyway; so if I won the item, it was because I was prepared to pay the final price happily.

The only time I ask for a discount on postage, (only ask, don't expect) is if buying multiple items so they can post items together and thereby save post costs, which I like to think they will give me the difference - they aren't out of pocket and I a better price; everyone is happy.

Black Six
360 GamerTag: Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:24 am

In my opinion, if you don't like how expensive the shipping cost is, either don't bid on it or contact the seller beforehand. When you bid you're agreeing to pay you maximum bid as well as all associated shipping costs. If it actually costs less to ship it out, oh well.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops