What was your worst injury?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

palmertech
What was your worst injury?

Post by palmertech » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:45 pm

palmertech wrote:
I had a "friend" who hauled ass my my face using a 9 iron gold club, cleaved my jaw clean off, broken on both sides. They have to re-attach it. Luckily, only the impact zone has a scar, the rest was more of a clean tear, so it went together nicely. I just have a scar running own from a little below the side of my lip to under my jaw, I think it makes me look badass. :wink:

And I am proud of the fact that I did not pass out, despite the fact they would not give me oral pain meds, so I had to wait till they could inject them. :lol:
palmertech wrote:Just to clarify, this was not recent; it was 5 or so years ago.

Me and the buddy were playing golf with wiffle balls, it was great fun. Then, he did a backswing, a firetruck that had been cruising down the street did one of those single horns to warn off this one care (The BRAAAAAAAP sound) just as he began the forward swing, and between me being startled and turning to see what it was, and him going way off target for the same reason, I got hit. :(

I was absurdly lucky, the jaw went together fine, the muscles were stitched up fine (in 8 layers, took forever), my teeth are still perfect ( :mrgreen: ) and other than a kinda messed up tongue bed (under my tongue) and a jaw that is the slightest, slightest bit shorter/squarer (A result of the trimming and notches needed to heal), I am perfectly fine. Could have been a lot of things that went wrong, but I got out fine.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will make a general purpose injuries thread.
Coleslaw, got shot in the eye, anybody else? I know Triton has a good story. :lol:

Excellent

AfroLH

Re: What was your worst injury?

Post by AfroLH » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:48 pm

When I was snowboarding in Colorado I was doing a Rodeo 540 and got to about 360 and fell and broke my arm.

I broke my radius buts (surprisingly) not my ulna.
I have the X-Rays if you want to see them.

Edit: Oh, and the bone made my arm look like a turkey neck. Or so the doctors said.
Edit 2: Here is What the x-ray looked like before they put it back in place:
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 54cf91.jpg
Last edited by AfroLH on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:16 pm

Wow. I guess that makes my sprained ankle really pathetic.

._.
what is this i don't even

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:21 pm

When i was in south america i ran in front of a bus and got hit by a car.
Nothing broke surprisingly.

AfroLH

Post by AfroLH » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:22 pm

argelfraster wrote:When i was in south america i ran in front of a bus and got hit by a car.
Nothing broke surprisingly.
:shock: PARADOX!
Last edited by AfroLH on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:24 pm

I know Triton has a good story.
lol yep!

when i was 16 driving home from school on a gravel road @ about 50mph i hit loose gravel, fishtailed almost 180 degrees and the drivers front wheel caught the edge of the road and flipped the GMC jimmy i was driving one complete revolution and into the ditch, missing a phone pole by about 2-3 feet. the fact that the drivers side hit the ground first (at probably close to 40mph) and i hit the drivers B pillar (between doors) at the same speed i wound up with a type IV AC seperation, which is basically a seperated shoulder where the collarbone seperates from the rest of the shoulder at the end, tears most/all of the attaching ligaments and sticks up about 2 inchs higher than it should. a few weeks 16 staples,a stainless steel pin, and internal stitches later my collarbone is reattached to the rest of my shoulder!
picture of my shoulder post surgery
picture of the scar a few weeks after the staples were removed
ImageImageImage

Valium

Post by Valium » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:29 pm

I got my wrist cut open in my Construction Tech class in my first year of high school.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:33 pm

I've got some pretty nasty injuries, but nothing that can even come close to any of these.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:42 pm

I've never even broken a bone. But I'm just getting into my teenage years of crazyness.

mikeyg
PSN Username:mikeyg95

Post by mikeyg » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:48 pm

XCVG wrote:I've never even broken a bone. But I'm just getting into my teenage years of crazyness.
Same here, XCVG. Starting High school next year. :)

antrock101

Post by antrock101 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:52 pm

I've done a few minor ones like breaking my thumb 3 knuckles on 1 hand and 1 on the other whilst in a boxing sparring. Worst of it is i had to carry on punching till the bell went, and taking direct punching to the hands whilst defending myself, i took my hand out of the glove and there was blood all over my where it had split. fingers are all at diffrent sizes now
HOLY FREAKIN MOTHER OF JESUS CHRIST! THAT CASE IS HUGE!

Perhaps you may buy a smaller one.

robm

Post by robm » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Heh, I don't have any hard-core stories like that, but the one injury that I get to show off all the time is when I cut off half of a knuckle of my right-hand middle finger while washing a glass . Got to watch it go down the sink and everything. I was in fourth grade at the time; I called for my mom like, "Hey mom, c'mere, I'm kinda sorta hurt."

Her: "Oh just hold on a second, I'm doing laundry."
Me: "Erm. No. I'm really hurt."
Her: "Jesus Christ, fine." *throws down laundry basket, walks over to sink*
Me: "Sorry, but uh..."
Her: "Just let me hold in under the faucet.."
*The skin covering the knuckle flips back, giving a wonderful view*
Her: "Ah. Ok, time to go off to the hospital."
Me: Finally starts bawling at mention of hospital.

Four stitches was all I got for it, and now I have a cool rounded middle finger knuckle.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:24 pm

first game of senior rugby, played in outside center, our inside center ran into the forward pack and offloaded it to me, went for a Run and came up to the fullback,
fullback didn't look much bigger than me so I went for the shoulder charge, with my right shoulder forward i was a bit sideways when i hit him but he absolutely smashed me, picked me up by the waist and drove me into the ground on an angle where I fractured my left foot, the growth plate and another bone that runs up the leg (im no good at remembering names of bones). I didnt notice anything at all until I tried to stand up, (the ref had called dangerous tackle) then I toppled on my leg and the pain kicked in.
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

AfroLH

Post by AfroLH » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:27 pm

blaze3927 wrote:first game of senior rugby, played in outside center, our inside center ran into the forward pack and offloaded it to me, went for a Run and came up to the fullback,
fullback didn't look much bigger than me so I went for the shoulder charge, with my right shoulder forward i was a bit sideways when i hit him but he absolutely smashed me, picked me up by the waist and drove me into the ground on an angle where I fractured my left foot, the growth plate and another bone that runs up the leg (im no good at remembering names of bones). I didnt notice anything at all until I tried to stand up, (the ref had called dangerous tackle) then I toppled on my leg and the pain kicked in.
I bet that took a lot of recovery.
Growth Plate Injuries are the worst..

qerkdtx

Post by qerkdtx » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:38 pm

I broke my arm last year snowboarding like Afro. I went off sum huge jump and did a long 360 method. I guess I pulled out too late. My alna was completely severed. Ill get a pic up of the xray

EDIT: