What was your worst injury?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

limpport
Re: What was your worst injury?

Post by limpport » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:49 pm

I haven't gotten anything major. I cut the tip of my thumb off with scissors in math class in 7th grade. I didn't notice until someone else did. I also fell down and slid down about 40 feet of rock face while hiking back down a mountain. (I was actually running, because we were racing down the mountain). I didn't break or sprain anything, but there was blood. I couldn't sit or lie down comfortably for a few weeks.

It's funny how these both happened in 7th grade :roll:

AfroLH

Post by AfroLH » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:55 pm

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Motorcycle + Tree. Put 2 and 2 together. I think I was going somewhere around 20 MPH, but I don't remember the details and dirt bikes don't have speedometers. I didn't break anything, but my left index finger's still a little off, and that's probably why my knee and lower back give me trouble every so often. This was about 10 years ago. There's still a mark on the tree.

All I remember is heading for the tree, then waking up all "wtf why am I in the hospital?!". :lol:

Trees don't move, kids.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:15 pm

So I have this mini trampoline that i got at goodwill and i was running and jumping off of it into our pool. The shallow end of course, only because i could get a good running start. I was jumping off of it, having a good time doing flips and stuff when I got the great Idea to try a double front flip. I figured, "why not?" I was over rotating to the point of doing a couple belly flops when I was trying to do just a flip. And I can also do a double front flip off of a diving board. So I went for it thinking that the air you get from a mini trampoline is roughly equivalent to that of a diving board. It might be close, but its not the same because diving boards are a meter above the water and the water is deeper than 3 feet. Anyways, I ran, jumped, tucked and held my tuck until my head hit the bottom of the pool. I think I blacked out for a couple of seconds, I cant tell, though, because my eyes were shut in the first place. So once I realized I hit my head on the bottom, the first and only thing I concentrated on doing was to get above water. My head and neck were throbbing. Once I got above water I figured that I would just sit out and wait for the pain to go away. That is, until Emma told me that my head was bleeding. So we went and told my parents. Before we left I got a picture of where my scalp was split. Then we went to the ER on warner and I got 9 staples in my head. The doctor said staples were easier then stitches because the scalp is kind of like leather and the staples would be easier to take out.

I got lucky because I was still rotating when I hit the bottom so it wasn't a direct hit, which could have really screwed up my neck and spine. All in all I scraped off a little skin on my shoulder, have a bump on my head as well as the staples, and a sore neck.

I must state that I have learned my lesson: Always complete the flip.

I know its not well written, I wrote it a year ago (6/20 actually) and dont feel like editing it. :roll:

anyways, pics!
before: http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8793 ... 8de1d7.jpg
after: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/794/ ... 02e935.jpg

edit: I forgot to mention that this wasnt my first time doing a double front flip off the trampoline. I think it was my 5th jump or so, but it was the first one that day. And to clarify it was into the shallow end of the pool which is 3ft deep.
Last edited by schmellyfart on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:10 am

I had a surgery once that really kicked my ass. Had my shin bone completely cut in half, then they rotated it and screwed in a plate to keep it all in place. But I was on lots of meds so even though that really hurt I would imagine most of your injuries were worse.

chipdouglas

Post by chipdouglas » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:41 am

:shock:
Wow mine doesn't even come close to some of the ones posted here. For me the worst I ever had was in 5th grade I broke my finger when it got slammed in one of the school doors.
My site: http://whengamescollide.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robm

Post by robm » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:39 am

Sheesh, why in the world did they rotate your shin bone? That just doesn't sound fun at all.

antrock101

Post by antrock101 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:35 am

chip tbh your probably hurt a lot because you didnt have adrenalin pumping, when i was boxing your used to taking punches and your body kinda doesnt feel it untill you get caught square on the nose or chin. My only really hurt when i pushed my knuckle back in the right position. then i was in agony for weeks
HOLY FREAKIN MOTHER OF JESUS CHRIST! THAT CASE IS HUGE!

Perhaps you may buy a smaller one.

alentris

Post by alentris » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:16 pm

lol I broke my leg while wrestling with my brother... The funniest thing is, though, it broke AFTER we were done fighting.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:52 pm

I was going down the mountain road on my kick-scooter at around 10-20km/h (or whatever, scooters don't have speedos. :P) then I ran over a rock and my scooter flipped forward launching me with it. Then I got tumbled over and over and over before sliding to a stop.

I had no protective equipment whatsoever (no helmet, no knee/elbow/hand pads.... nothing) when that happened. Bad cuts, grazes and wounds, but no broken bones or concussions.

I got two near-misses on broken glass (One event nearly killed me when a sword-like piece almost stabbed me, another when I went into rage and smashed a glass cabinet nearly stabbing me by falling glass. Another is when our home was being built I fell 5 feet hitting my chin on a plastic drum. The skin turned blue and fell off. :lol:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:25 pm

I've had a fairly safe life. I broke my wrist when I was 7 or 8. I fell off my bike, put out my left hand to catch myself, and broke it. I think it was called a buckle break, I didn't get a cast, just a splint/brace thing. Other than that, there hasn't been much, just scrapes and cuts (not many bruises, I almost never bruise).

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:51 am

Never broke any bones, hoping to keep it that way :P

Just two stitches and three staples in my head in two separate incidents involving a dresser and my brother, and a 2 by 4 and an idiot, respectively.

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Umm does your appendix exploding count as an injury? It sure as hell hurt like one. Plus I couldnt eat for 12 whole days! It felt like an eternity in the hospital. Now I have a nice scar by my belly button.

VV

robm

Post by robm » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:44 pm

Ick, no food for 12 days straight? That sucks. Counts as an injury for the hospital stay/surgery alone LOL

Did the appendix actually rupture, or was it caught beforehand? My understanding is that ruptured appendix's cause septic shock, and resultant death, pretty rapidly.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:24 pm

My youngest bro just had his appendix explode on him..took out a small chunk of his large intenstine too...needless to say, it sucked to be him for a good 6 weeks...and it kinda sucked to be me for tha ttime, as I had to take care of him during that time.

As far as my injuries go...worst I've done is cut my thumb open with an x-acto knife...if it makes it seem any more cool, I hit one of the blood vessles in there and it couldn't stop bleeding until i got to the hopsical were they sealed up the vein and sewed my hand shut :lol:
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato