Help me choose what to get for my birthday!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ValiantVenality
Portablizer
Help me choose what to get for my birthday!

Post by ValiantVenality » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:27 pm

My birthday is coming up on July 8th, and I cannot decide what I want for my birthday. I have a couple choices, but cant decide.

1. I wanted to get a new phone. My contract is almost up, and my mother considered if I wanted a new phone. Theres that new blackberry flip phone that t-mobile has, that I thought was pretty sweet.

2. My brother suggested that I get a new Xbox 360. My old one broke, and theres no way to send it in because of Microsofts new online policy. I dont remember the email i used withit, so I cant fix it. The best gaming machine I have now is my Dreamcast. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my Dreamcast, but its starting to look a little too outdated. i still play sonic adventure 2 and stuff, but the new games that are for Xbox 360 look awesome! (UFC, COD 5, Unreleased Fight Night Round 4 etc)

3. Finally, I was at my friends house one day, and his brother is AMAZING at electric guitar. I thought that would be awesome to learn how to play, and it will give me more things to do over the summer. I hate when i'm sitting at home during summer and everyone is on vacation, and I have nothing to do. It sucks!

Help me choose please! They are all sooo awesome! I cant pick.

VV

AfroLH

Re: Help me choose what to get for my birthday!

Post by AfroLH » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:29 pm

GUITAR!
Definatly.

It gets ze ladies

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Are you limited by carrier to what phone you get? Or ANY phone?

Excellent

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:56 pm

1. Why? Do you even USE it for anything other than calling.
2. That's crap. Get on the line to microsoft and female of the dog species and threaten to sue.
3. It's a lot harder to learn how to play than you think.

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:06 pm

@palmertech: Only Verizon. Sorry for not mentioning it.

@XCVG: I didn't ask reasons NOT to get it.

VV

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:07 pm

1. Your contract may be expired, but that doesn't mean you have to turn around and sign another one! Wait around till you really need/find a cool phone. The flip-berry has gotten mixed reviews...
2. Don't give Micro$oft any more money than you have to. You can definitely get a replacement, just give them a call and don't let them push you around.
3. I definitely vote for the guitar, it's a totally awesome skill to have. Do you have any musical background? If not, piano might be a better thing to consider... Just give me a price range and I'll give you options!
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:38 pm

sgtpepper wrote:1. Your contract may be expired, but that doesn't mean you have to turn around and sign another one! Wait around till you really need/find a cool phone. The flip-berry has gotten mixed reviews...
2. Don't give Micro$oft any more money than you have to. You can definitely get a replacement, just give them a call and don't let them push you around.
3. I definitely vote for the guitar, it's a totally awesome skill to have. Do you have any musical background? If not, piano might be a better thing to consider... Just give me a price range and I'll give you options!
Yup I have a musical background. I currently play the piano dail, but i think the guitar is much more versatile, and sounds way awesome! Price would be about 350 and under. Also, I would prefer it looked like an old guitar from the 60's like this: http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 393698.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Not that exact guitar, but that style. Thanks for your help!

VV

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:46 pm

ValiantVenality wrote:Yup I have a musical background. I currently play the piano dail, but i think the guitar is much more versatile, and sounds way awesome! Price would be about 350 and under. Also, I would prefer it looked like an old guitar from the 60's like this: http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 393698.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Not that exact guitar, but that style. Thanks for your help!

VV
While I disagree with your opinion on piano vs guitar, I can still point you in the right direction:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=518351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$350 is actually about the cheapest that I would recommend ever spending on a guitar, otherwise it's just not worth spending any money in the first place. I am more of a Steinberger kind of guy, but that Epiphone is the best guitar you're going to find in that price range. I've got three friends that own the same model, I can personally recommend it. Please don't buy one on a whim, do your research, or ask people here first!!!

P.S. That 'style' is called "Les Paul"
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:22 pm

What about those cheap ($100 or so) guitars they sell at Target? (I think they're all made by Yamaha or First Act.) Kinda makes sense for someone who's just starting to learn the basics to pick up a cheap one in case they change their mind later on...

DK

Post by DK » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:45 am

bicostp wrote:What about those cheap ($100 or so) guitars they sell at Target? (I think they're all made by Yamaha or First Act.) Kinda makes sense for someone who's just starting to learn the basics to pick up a cheap one in case they change their mind later on...

Those things play like hell and if anything wouldput me off playing if I was a beginner. Worst case, if he doesn't like playing the guitar, I'm sure he can sell it on at a loss of $100 so there's no real sense in buying a cheapo one.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:15 am

DK wrote:
bicostp wrote:What about those cheap ($100 or so) guitars they sell at Target? (I think they're all made by Yamaha or First Act.) Kinda makes sense for someone who's just starting to learn the basics to pick up a cheap one in case they change their mind later on...

Those things play like hell and if anything wouldput me off playing if I was a beginner. Worst case, if he doesn't like playing the guitar, I'm sure he can sell it on at a loss of $100 so there's no real sense in buying a cheapo one.
No, they are pretty worth it. For someone playing the guitar, your better off starting of pretty crappy, so if you actually really get into it, you THEN upgrade to a low-mid range guitar. I'd recommend this package, it's the best deal(s) you'll find:

Epiphone Les Paul Combo Pack:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Go ... 1448567.gc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fender Squier Strat Pack:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-SE-S ... 1177837.gc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ibanez Strat Pack:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-IJX4 ... 1168525.gc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't let the fact that they are Epiphone and Squier turn you off. I've been playing guitar for a while now, and own 2 Fenders and 1 Squier (Which is Fenders lower market guitars) and the Squier plays just as well. All those packs have EVERYTHING you need to get started. The Epiphone Les Paul Pack, I have had first hand experience with, and the only problem I noticed was how high the action was by default. (Action is the space between the strings and the fret board) Luckily, it's extremely easy to lower the action on Les Pauls.

underclocked

Post by underclocked » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:27 am

If you have the patience and determination for it, i say get a guitar. I bought a 200 dollar ibanez low end model that's been working fine for me for the past 6 or so months.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:24 pm

I'd say..go guitar!

You really don't have to spend much on a guitar. So long as you're not buying one of those horrible first act peices of crap, you'll be fine :)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:37 pm

DK wrote:

I don't remember where, but I remember this site that had all sorts of musical instruments for sale on the cheap. They had renting (with free shipping!) options, rent-to-buy options, all sorts of stuff.
what is this i don't even

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Electric guitar? Generic instrument is generic.