Portable-making contest again?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch
Re: Portable-making contest again?

Post by eurddrue » Thu May 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Not of their choosing, but the person with the second most amount of votes. :wink:

Also, people have to have been members for two weeks and have 25 posts to be able to vote, so somebody can't have their real life (yes it exists) friends join and vote for them.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Thu May 28, 2009 5:22 pm

eurddrue wrote:Not of their choosing, but the person with the second most amount of votes. :wink:

Also, people have to have been members for two weeks and have 25 posts to be able to vote, so somebody can't have their real life (yes it exists) friends join and vote for them.
Real Life? What console is that for?
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

mikeyg
PSN Username:mikeyg95

Post by mikeyg » Thu May 28, 2009 8:41 pm

Zeturi wrote:Real Life? What console is that for?
Sig'd

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu May 28, 2009 8:48 pm

mikeyg wrote:
Sig'd
A little slow, mah boi.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikeyg

Post by mikeyg » Thu May 28, 2009 9:07 pm

:( I'll take it off.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Thu May 28, 2009 10:10 pm

I dont like these 1-10 scale voting systems. What everyone views as an 8 or any other number is relative. Therefore I think we should have the same or a similar voting system as the last competition.

neverused

Post by neverused » Thu May 28, 2009 10:49 pm

I think the prize should be $5, as mentioned earlier, for each person entering and if you want to pitch in anything else that would be fine too. If we could chip the $5 in via paypal, that would be nice too. I'd also throw in some extra stuff. LoB, I'll photograph and list the stuff and send it in a PM next week or so, as I am out of town.

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Thu May 28, 2009 11:03 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:
mikeyg wrote:
Sig'd
A little slow, mah boi.

SS
Yes! +1 popularity! :mrgreen:
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri May 29, 2009 1:07 am

mikeyg wrote::( I'll take it off.
Aww, don't be like that! You can have it back.

Fine, I'll sig myself!

SS

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri May 29, 2009 3:04 am

schmellyfart wrote:I dont like these 1-10 scale voting systems. What everyone views as an 8 or any other number is relative. Therefore I think we should have the same or a similar voting system as the last competition.
All voting is subjective and relative anyway, that is the point of an opinion. :wink: All I asked is that everyone is fair and just in their opinions on the portables, on the portable's merits; like eurddrue said, we don't want people signing up to vote for their mates, or members making multiple accounts, or leagues made up to support each other, etc - we want fair and proportional voting: otherwise, this will just be a farce.

As to entrance fees, no, not in agreement - how about contributing prizes instead - that is a voluntary "entrance fee" if you want to think of it that way. BTW, Brian, what are the prizes up for grabs so far - list what there is and it might get more people adding to it! :D

schmellyfart
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Fri May 29, 2009 4:43 am

bacteria wrote:
schmellyfart wrote:I dont like these 1-10 scale voting systems. What everyone views as an 8 or any other number is relative. Therefore I think we should have the same or a similar voting system as the last competition.
All voting is subjective and relative anyway, that is the point of an opinion. :wink: All I asked is that everyone is fair and just in their opinions on the portables, on the portable's merits; like eurddrue said, we don't want people signing up to vote for their mates, or members making multiple accounts, or leagues made up to support each other, etc - we want fair and proportional voting: otherwise, this will just be a farce.
True, but I think it adds an unnecessary degree of subjectivity and relativity. Also, I dont think it will come down to that. We havent had that problem in past contests, nor do I think we will have that problem in this or future contests. Establishing such rules just says hey we dont trust you to not rig this. Obviously we will know something is up when a bunch of people sign up and only post in the voting thread. And honestly, its an internet contest with no real big prize. I dont think its that big of a deal for someone to try and rig this contest in their favor.

I say definitive point values ( i.e. 5, 3, 1 or 3, 2, 1) for the top 3 or so (depending on the amount of entries) portables deemed by each voter.

mikeyg

Post by mikeyg » Fri May 29, 2009 6:35 am

ShockSlayer wrote:
mikeyg wrote::( I'll take it off.
Aww, don't be like that! You can have it back.

Fine, I'll sig myself!

SS
No, it's cool. lol
You had it first, anyway.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri May 29, 2009 3:44 pm

Built my vac table today

Video of the working N64 coming soon, gotta edit and upload.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri May 29, 2009 5:44 pm

WALL OF TEXT:

(Please read it!)

As of right now there are 27 people entering the contest. How about we take the voting idea from last year and extend it a bit? For example, rank your top 10 portables with number one being the best (in your opinion) compared to the other portables entered. Number one would get ten points, number two would get nine points, number three would get eight points, and so on. This way the voting would directly reflect people's opinions about the portables entered in direct comparison to the other portables entered, rather than pulling a rather subjective number out of the air. After all, what exactly determines a 5 versus a 6 when rating a portable on appearance or "awesomeness"? Ranking your favorite portables shifts the votes to directly comparing the entries to each other, rather than trying to apply numbers to your opinions of what makes a "good" portable. That's my thoughts on the matter, anyway. What do you guys think?

I will post a (locked) sticky in Forum 42 clearly stating "The Rules" for the contest tomorrow, so let's try to get any final opinions discussed here before tomorrow morning. If anything needs to be edited in The Rules sticky after it's written we can discuss it here in this discussion thread.

I do like the idea of the counter for submitted portables. Should we have people post their submissions right away with pictures and everything once they're done or should pictures and stuff be withheld until "entries submission" time rolls around? After all, we might have people finishing a full month and a half before others do. What's your opinion?

Prizes offered so far:

ShockSlayer: DS Key

bacteria: NES controller (official), two foam sanding blocks (great for sanding curved surfaces on cases - I use them a lot), 2 x GB game carts (Spiderman 2 and 17-in-1 sports cart), selecting 1 NTSC PSone game from a selection of 7 - winner chooses title (NTSC, original).

Any other offers?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

neverused

Post by neverused » Fri May 29, 2009 6:31 pm

I've got some bits and pieces to add to the pot, like a track ball assembly out of an old laptop, a ps2 controller, a couple extra ps2 pots, xbox s-controller, and anything else I can think of, maybe a game or two.