star trek!!!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....
Re: star trek!!!

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu May 14, 2009 7:17 am

was a good film, i saw it last night

my knowledge of TOS is a little hazy (i was always a TNG and Voyager kind of guy) but i think they've changed all the back stories quite a bit so im wondering if this is the start of a new continuity or whether its just a one off.

Bloody time travel :lol:

Im just worried it'll all go a bit hollywood.
I enjoyed it, but not for the same reasons i like the series.
XCVG wrote:Haven't seen it yet. Theatres are really expensive here. Not gonna waste $20 on Trek. I don't really like Trek. SG-1 FTW!

Seriously though, probably not going to go to see it. Probably going to rent it when it comes out.
Stargate is awesome, but i havent really watched it recently, i heard O'Neill is gone, is this true?

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Thu May 14, 2009 7:53 am

Extreme_Jesus wrote:Stargate is awesome, but i havent really watched it recently, i heard O'Neill is gone, is this true?
SG-1 ended a while ago, and yes, O'Neill was gone for the last two seasons (although he did have a cameo here and there).

As far as Star Trek goes, I haven't seen it yet, but with the reviews it's getting I feel like I really need to.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Thu May 14, 2009 10:16 am

Yeah, what that guy said. Also they cancelled Atlantis after only 5 seasons, and the new series looks like crap. There's two SG1 movies out, and an Atlantis one is coming.

RockNRoll!

Post by RockNRoll! » Thu May 14, 2009 12:34 pm

I saw it the other day and it was effing awesome. It just happened to come out right after I started watching the original series and now I'm hooked :P

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu May 14, 2009 12:48 pm

So I saw star trek last night. It had a moderately high entertainment value, and is worth seeing, but there are so many inconsistencies and things that just don't make sense. And the plot sucked.

Let's name off inconsistencies!

1) A yellow (medium-size) star went supernova.
2) Red matter? Come ON! (Okay, I guess it's plausible somehow. But if it can make a black hole, it's going to be too heavy to pick up a drop of this stuff.)
3) The mining drill. Anyone else notice this? It's some huge badass impenetrable ship with a planet drill with spikey chains which would get horribly tangled and probably snagged on the way down from the ship.
4) The mining drill. If all it takes is two clips from a rifle to take out the drill, or a few shots from some fighter, why didn't anybody on the planet try to stop it? Like, fire some missiles at it or something. Or snipe it if it's that weak. :P
5) Why didn't old Spock just mind meld with the evil romulan dude? It could've stopped the entire thing.
6) Why was old spock willing to risk the fate of the entire galactic federation so that captain kirk could learn a lesson about friendship?
7) When the captain due left for the romulans (from the enterprise), why did he assign a cadet as first mate, instead of a ranking officer? I bet the ranking officers were pissed.
8) Wouldn't a laser mining drill that is mining through water produce some steam? And wouldn't it have to evaporate the ocean before it could reach the core? Then why would it magically mine through the core and mantle, they're liquid and would just fill the void.
9) I'm getting bored of listing inconsistencies. Take over for me.
Hey, sup?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu May 14, 2009 1:10 pm

Let me get this straight - you're nitpicking STAR TREK for inconsistencies and scientific inaccuracy? :roll:

Once again:
wallydawg wrote: every kurt post: waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh :P
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu May 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Kurt_ wrote: Let's name off inconsistencies!

1) A yellow (medium-size) star went supernova.
While unlikely, this is theoretically possible.
2) Red matter? Come ON! (Okay, I guess it's plausible somehow. But if it can make a black hole, it's going to be too heavy to pick up a drop of this stuff.)
It may be very high gravity levels, but remember: It is not going to reach very far with that field. If it was contained in a perfectly even suspended magnetic field in an absurdly dense spherical container, it could be contained.
3) The mining drill. Anyone else notice this? It's some huge badass impenetrable ship with a planet drill with spikey chains which would get horribly tangled and probably snagged on the way down from the ship.
If they have computers that can handle light speed ship maneuvers, I bet they have complex chain movement simulations. ;)
4) The mining drill. If all it takes is two clips from a rifle to take out the drill, or a few shots from some fighter, why didn't anybody on the planet try to stop it? Like, fire some missiles at it or something. Or snipe it if it's that weak. :P
Duh, because they would have tuned the deflector shields to standard frequency for weapons contained on the planet. They were just hit with that they did not expect. (I know, this is IRL BS, but it happens in some of the games, so it is canon)
5) Why didn't old Spock just mind meld with the evil romulan dude? It could've stopped the entire thing.
Spock can mind meld with humans and Vulcans easily because the brain type is so similar. If you had watched the show, you would know that mind melding with a Romulan is a really, really bad idea. The differences between the Vulcan mind and the Romulan mind are so vast, that neither party escapes unharmed.
6) Why was old spock willing to risk the fate of the entire galactic federation so that captain kirk could learn a lesson about friendship?
No clue, you win.
7) When the captain due left for the romulans (from the enterprise), why did he assign a cadet as first mate, instead of a ranking officer? I bet the ranking officers were pissed.
Because he always brings someone useless. This is star trek, there HAS to be an "expendable" person on every landing mission. No exceptions. The cadet just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
8) Wouldn't a laser mining drill that is mining through water produce some steam? And wouldn't it have to evaporate the ocean before it could reach the core? Then why would it magically mine through the core and mantle, they're liquid and would just fill the void.
Vulcan is in a twin star system that is far, far older than Earth. Over time, Vulcan has solidified its core, and the Vulcans have had to create a synthetic magnetic field in order for the birds on their planet to maintain navigational abilities (Not to mention vehicles.) So, this is actually plausible, according to the Star Trek canon.
9) I'm getting bored of listing inconsistencies. Take over for me.
heh, I did the opposite. :lol:

I am mostly pissed the killed planet Vulcan. By doing that, they pretty much killed Spock in the future. Think about it: When he "dies", they will not be able to bring him back to Vulcan to be revived. Why? BECAUSE VULCAN IS GONE!

Yeah, that pissed me off. Not to mention it kills the potential for any neutral zone conflicts in future movies, which have been a big topic in the series, the books, the games, and the movies. I think this was a "final cash in", where they do not have to maintain the story because they will never make another sequel. :cry:

Excellent

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:29 pm

palmertech wrote:I think this was a "final cash in", where they do not have to maintain the story because they will never make another sequel. :cry:
i think they will make several sequels, they will just go back in time and change stuff again 8)
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu May 14, 2009 6:59 pm

Palmer, only large stars can go supernova. That means blue or white.

My understanding was that the movie was set in a tangent universe, so future movies may go back to the one you are familiar with.
Hey, sup?

lazer_174300

Post by lazer_174300 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:24 am

palmertech wrote: heh, I did the opposite. :lol:

I am mostly pissed the killed planet Vulcan. By doing that, they pretty much killed Spock in the future. Think about it: When he "dies", they will not be able to bring him back to Vulcan to be revived. Why? BECAUSE VULCAN IS GONE!

Yeah, that pissed me off. Not to mention it kills the potential for any neutral zone conflicts in future movies, which have been a big topic in the series, the books, the games, and the movies. I think this was a "final cash in", where they do not have to maintain the story because they will never make another sequel. :cry:
WHATTT!!!??? WHEN DID YOU SEE THE MOVIE??!!
We.herd.you.liek.over.9000.so.we.put.an.all.your.base.are.belong.to.us.in.yo.car.so.you.can.belong.to.shoop.da.whoop............. while you drive. withabaseballbat

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri May 15, 2009 12:46 am

palmertech wrote: I am mostly pissed the killed planet Vulcan. By doing that, they pretty much killed Spock in the future. Think about it: When he "dies", they will not be able to bring him back to Vulcan to be revived. Why? BECAUSE VULCAN IS GONE!

This is a different universe. By going back in time, old Spock has set forth a chain of events that completely changes what is in store for the future. Perhaps the Genesis is never created, or perhaps Kahn is never unfrozen.

as for sequels, I believe the cast they have are signed on to make two more.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Fri May 15, 2009 2:20 pm

I thought of some more stuff.

10) If the romulans and vulcans share a common ancestry (which they say in the movie), how come the romulan's blood is yellow and the vulcan's blood is green? This implies two entirely different oxygen transportation systems. An example. Vertebrates have red blood, from hemoglobin. Most invertebrates have blue blood, from hemocyanin. The romulans and vulcans having two different blood colours is like saying crabs and monkeys had a common ancestor. While this MAY be true, if you go way way way back to single-celled organisms, it would hardly be considered a common ancestor by many views.

Also, young spock DID mind-meld with a romulan. Remember? Kirk: "Do you know where the red matter is?" Spock: "And captain whoeverthehell, too."
Hey, sup?

Valium

Post by Valium » Fri May 15, 2009 3:44 pm

Kurt_ wrote:I thought of some more stuff.

10) If the romulans and vulcans share a common ancestry (which they say in the movie), how come the romulan's blood is yellow and the vulcan's blood is green? This implies two entirely different oxygen transportation systems. An example. Vertebrates have red blood, from hemoglobin. Most invertebrates have blue blood, from hemocyanin. The romulans and vulcans having two different blood colours is like saying crabs and monkeys had a common ancestor. While this MAY be true, if you go way way way back to single-celled organisms, it would hardly be considered a common ancestor by many views.

Also, young spock DID mind-meld with a romulan. Remember? Kirk: "Do you know where the red matter is?" Spock: "And captain whoeverthehell, too."
When it's a documentary you're watching, you're allowed to nit-pick, but if I remember right, Star Trek is Science Fiction.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri May 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Could be a colourless oxygen carrier, with different colouring from other chemicals. And who cares? Just enjoy the f***ing movie! :P :P :lol:

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Fri May 15, 2009 6:29 pm

It was poorly thought through. That's the problem with movies today.
Hey, sup?