Electrical weaponry.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

palmertech
Electrical weaponry.

Post by palmertech » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Do any of you make it?

Mentioned it a few times, had to go digging through my old stuff to find my "red box", where I keep most of the stuff that is too dangerous to have floating around where people can mess with it.

I used to, about two years ago up till a year ago (When I joined here, actually) make all manner of electronic weaponry. I stopped when I got a 990v shock across my whole body (Finger tip to finger tip) at a few amps, and got knocked clean across my work area. It took me like 30 seconds to start breathing again, and my arms felt pretty messed up for a while afterwards... So I stopped that whole mess.

Here are about half of the products of that period, I will try and find the rest soon.

Stun glove, model 1.

It had two 330v 1000uf caps in parellel. It hurt a lot, and if you hit metal, would make a blast of sparks (Ala power rangers) and leave pits in the metal. I used springs because I thought that was cool.

Coil gun: Uses 3x 290v caps to initiate the magnetic pulse that can fire nails out of the bic pen barrel fast enough to punch straight through cardstock at distances at distances of 6 feet (2 meters).

Stun Glove, v2:

Uses 6x 330v 2000uf caps, hurts enough that I only used it once. Leaves massive pits in metal. Has all the electronics on the inside so it looks a bit less like a terrorist weapon. :lol:

Stun pen:

Seen those little stun pens? This thing hurts a lot more. Single shot, needs to be charged from an external charger I made (now lost), 3x 330v caps in the barrel.

Remains of my ultrasonic knife: Uses an electromagnetic coil to send pulses to a magnet mounted blade at ultrasonic frequencies, cuts through stuff with hardly any pressure at all. Got torn apart so I could use the secondary coil for an inductive charger project (Totally useless, by the way).

I am trying to find my tesla knife, that is what I was working on when I got the massive shock that scared me enough to stop making stuff like this. :lol: It is essentially a knife powered by 4x AA batteries with a blade that can arc to other pieces of metal about 1/2" away. If you touch that blade, you get massive shock. Never stabbed anything/body with it, but I think that it would easily be lethal if you hit a weak point for massive damage, considering that blood is a lot more conductive than skin. I put it SOMEWHERE around here, but I cannot find it for the life me... Oh well, I will find it at some point. I also have an EMP emitter with a 3-6" or so range, and a homemade plasma globe somewhere, and too many little stun guns to count. :lol:

Going through all this makes me want to start back up again...

EDIT: Pics work now, click to make them bigger.

The Benheck forums are not responsible for damages, injury or death as a result of the construction or use of homemade electronic weaponry. The information posted in this thread is intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. As with all high voltage currents, failure to act with common sense and follow proper safety procedures CAN result in injury or death, and such incidents that may result are quite simply NOT OUR FAULT. USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Last edited by bicostp on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: +1 Disclaimer

Excellent

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Re: Electrical weaponry.

Post by eurddrue » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:58 pm

TL;DR all you picture links are broken. Ok, wow, you blew yourself across your workroom? HOLY CRAP. It would take me like 3 weeks to even go back down there :lol:
Last edited by eurddrue on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:00 pm

I think your image links are wrong. :o
These are all really cool. I'm interested in that ultrasonic knife. How does it work? How big can you make them? Etc!
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:20 pm

eurddrue wrote:TL;DR all you picture links are broken. Ok, wow, you blew yourself across your workroom? HOLY CRAP. It would take me like 3 weeks to even go back down there :lol:
Not like the charge threw me, it was the muscle shock. It took me a while to work on stuff, too. :lol: But hey, you get over it. I got my face split open with a golf club hit, and I still play! (Sometimes... A lot less, admittedly).

jjhammerstein wrote:I think your image links are wrong. :o
These are all really cool. I'm interested in that ultrasonic knife. How does it work? How big can you make them? Etc!
I might actually re-make my ultrasonic knife, I planned on having interchangeable blades. It worked like this: It has coil rapidly pulsing electricity through the coil, making an oscillating magnetic field. This carried through a very short airspace to the blade mount. The blade was welded to a piece of aluminum that had two extremely strong neodymium magnets secured to it. The field causes the magnets to rapidly move in an up and down pattern, pushing the mount, and thus the blade, an extremely short distance back and fourth. Seen those carving knifes that move back and fourth? Like that, but hundreds of times faster, and a shorter distance.

You hit the main problem, blade length, right on the head. I could get away with a 6" blade, but to be honest, the longer it is, the more of the effect it kills (Harder to drive, as well). I did most of m testing with a 5" blade, and it worked very well. I would probably benefit from having a good, stiff, light blade. Any suggestions? My other idea was to reinforce the metal with strips of something more stiff... Not sure what, though.

Excellent

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:30 pm

palmertech wrote:
I might actually re-make my ultrasonic knife, I planned on having interchangeable blades. It worked like this: It has coil rapidly pulsing electricity through the coil, making an oscillating magnetic field. This carried through a very short airspace to the blade mount. The blade was welded to a piece of aluminum that had two extremely strong neodymium magnets secured to it. The field causes the magnets to rapidly move in an up and down pattern, pushing the mount, and thus the blade, an extremely short distance back and fourth. Seen those carving knifes that move back and fourth? Like that, but hundreds of times faster, and a shorter distance.

You hit the main problem, blade length, right on the head. I could get away with a 6" blade, but to be honest, the longer it is, the more of the effect it kills (Harder to drive, as well). I did most of m testing with a 5" blade, and it worked very well. I would probably benefit from having a good, stiff, light blade. Any suggestions? My other idea was to reinforce the metal with strips of something more stiff... Not sure what, though.
Wow, that's so damn cool. :D

Do the magnets actually touch?
How does the mount work? It seems like any contact would be destroyed by friction.
Would stronger magnets or higher voltage increase feasible blade length?
Does it make noise? How loud?
Is the speed variable? To what extent?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:57 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:
palmertech wrote:

Wow, that's so damn cool. :D

Do the magnets actually touch?
How does the mount work? It seems like any contact would be destroyed by friction.
Would stronger magnets or higher voltage increase feasible blade length?
Does it make noise? How loud?
Is the speed variable? To what extent?
The magnets do not touch, they are set about an inch from each other, a WEE bit above the coil.

The mount was another one of my problems... I was using plastic tubing for the mount with teflon washers on the contact points with the main body tube. Problem was, I had no good way of attaching them... I used epoxy, but after a while it would crack. My options now would be to make the whole mount attachment out of teflon, or figure out a way to bond it better (JB Weld?)

Stronger magnets and a better field would help increase it. The problem is that with movements this short, if it gets too long, it eats away all the power the close to the tip you get, and loses it to vibration of the blade. :( It would certainly help, though.

It makes noise, I think I might have a recording I made. The noise was from vibration caused by my less than perfect mount, but if I did it perfectly, it would be pretty darn near silent. I had a sound recording somewhere where I was adjusting the spacing while it ran to try and make it a bit more silent, I will see if I can find it. To get a basic idea, stick your tongue out of your mouth and blow about half as hard as you would if you were cleaning an NES cart. The resulting sound is about the right volume, but the knife is much higher pitched. :lol:

The speed is not variable, at least not right now. I could do that, but it would take a lot of work, and there is no real reason you would want it to go slower. ;)

Excellent

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm going to do some research on this whole thing, and then come back and talk to you about it. :D

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:02 pm

:shock: Oh my God, this stuff looks evilly awesome!

You should take some of your stuff to an airport.

I can't wait to finish my snesp and get to work on a coil gun using my two 70000 uf caps that I have lying around in my pole barn.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:22 pm

I'm coming up blank on any how-to's, schematics, or hints onto the inner workings of an ultrasonic knife. How did you figure it out? What were your resources?

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:24 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:I'm coming up blank on any how-to's, schematics, or hints onto the inner workings of an ultrasonic knife. How did you figure it out? What were your resources?
Not everybody uses schematics. Have you ever wondered who made your pinouts/schematics? Some people make things up as they go.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:32 pm

eurddrue wrote:
jjhammerstein wrote:I'm coming up blank on any how-to's, schematics, or hints onto the inner workings of an ultrasonic knife. How did you figure it out? What were your resources?
Not everybody uses schematics. Have you ever wondered who made your pinouts/schematics? Some people make things up as they go.
Electrical weaponry is not something you experiment with haphazardly. His resource might be "We learned about rapidly oscillating fields in EE Lab, and I slapped it into a knife alá surgical tools."

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 pm

I actually figured most of it out by reading up on how commercial ones work, and talking to a guy who had worked with them before. I also knew a guy who, oddly enough, works with dental ultrasonic toothbrushes, and had a lot of good info. I pretty much adapted the design, except since I do not need fine frequency control, I was able to ditch the power supply and just use a 4x AA pack. If I decide to start these kinds of projects back up, I could give you an updated parts list.

Mine was a pretty rough example, which was why I tore it apart to make an inductive charger; hopefully my next one will be more awesome.

Now, as for schematics, I actually pulled them straight from one of those ultrasonic dental tools. it was a pretty simple one, let me see if I can find the scan I made of the original.

"Electrical weaponry is not something you experiment with haphazardly. His resource might be "We learned about rapidly oscillating fields in EE Lab, and I slapped it into a knife alá surgical tools."

Hmm... I think I did it the haphazard way. :P Keep in mind, this was about two years ago, I have learned a lot since then. Like how NOT to mess with electrical weapons, as per OP. :wink:

Excellent

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Are all vibrating toothbrushes ultrasonic? Is that how they work? I always wondered.

Well. You're an idiot. :lol:
Glad it worked out for you, and you've got some good creations to prove it. Got any good scars to prove it? :o

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Nah, most vibrating toothbrushes just vibrate in all directions. The tough part is making them oscillate in a forward/back pattern, with as little loss as possible, which is what the professional tools do. :D

Sure, I got some scars. Most are faded, but I have a few left. :P

And not an idiot anymore! I learned my lesson! :mrgreen:

Excellent

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:57 pm

Palmertech is secretly Colonel Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin