Should I get the Chill Mobile or a regular car?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ValiantVenality
Portablizer
Should I get the Chill Mobile or a regular car?

Post by ValiantVenality » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Hey there. Havent been on in a while. Well guess what. Its almost time for me to get my first car! I'm so excited. So heres my dilema. I really REALLY want a Volkswagen Bus. I think that would be the coolest car in the whole world. My father and I would pretty much do a restore of it, and make it look like brand new. Then I'd make the inside all badass and stuff. Like carpet it, and make it have a fold out table with a bunch of other stuff. Then I was thinking about something. How practical would that be? how many times would I be in my car sitting there, using the table. THEN I was thinking about, going to the beach, doing school work when I'm away from home, and just hangin out with my friends. I could put a refridgerator and everything! What do you guys think about this situation?

VV

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Should I get the Chill Mobile or a regular car?

Post by bicostp » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:19 pm

VW Bus? :lol: Those have no get-up-and-go. (They have the same 1600cc air-cooled engines as the old Beetles, I think.) Have fun doing 45 at WOT. I guess you're looking at either the T1 (up to '67) or T2 ('68 to '79), since the newer ones don't look anything like the stereotypical hippie wagons. Adding stuff to it won't help the mileage or performance at all, either. Also remember it won't be particularly safe, since your legs become the crumple zones.

See, what you want is a 70s Dodge B series van. Preferably turd-brown in color, shag carpeting, 19" woodgrain TV with knobs,, fold-flat seat all the way in the back, and well-executed but tasteless art airbrushed on the side. :lol: But seriously, 70s Dodge van with a slant-6. Now there's an engine with some power. (Especially if you put on a 2 barrel carb and better intake and exhaust manifolds.) Not too much for horsepower, but it makes about 200 lb/ft of torque with the stock headers and 1 barrel carb, and our low-geared truck with that motor can carry 3/4 of a ton and get 15 MPG. It's easy to stroke, very common (they put it in EVERYTHING), and damn near bulletproof. (Long story, but basically they designed it extra thick because they wanted to make it out of aluminum, but they had problems with the aluminum casting so they made them out of iron without changing the molds. Very strong material + unnecessarily thick mold = toughest engine ever. 8)) Or, you could find one with a 440.

Remember, any van will get crap mileage, and adding mini-RV stuff to it won't help much. :lol:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:32 pm

bicostp wrote:VW Bus? :lol: Those have no get-up-and-go. (They have the same 1600cc air-cooled engines as the old Beetles, I think.) Have fun doing 45 at WOT. I guess you're looking at either the T1 (up to '67) or T2 ('68 to '79), since the newer ones don't look anything like the stereotypical hippie wagons. Adding stuff to it won't help the mileage or performance at all, either. Also remember it won't be particularly safe, since your legs become the crumple zones.

See, what you want is a 70s Dodge B series van.
I was going to say the exact same thing, with the addition of saying that any older full-size van would be better for power and safety. A VW bus would probably be expensive in comparison, too, both for the vehicle itself and any repairs. My friend was thinking of doing exactly the same thing, but abandoned the idea because of cost and he didn't want to die if he got in a wreck.
Plus, what hippie van could hold a candle to this awesome piece of machinery. :lol:

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:34 pm

:lol:
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:41 pm

Old vans are cheap enough, especially when gas prices go up (granted, that probably won't happen this summer like it has the last couple years). Might be worth it to get a practical daily driver, but also a cheap van to slowly restore as a summer project or something.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

ValiantVenality
Portablizer

Post by ValiantVenality » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Yea, I probably wont be driving like large amounts of miles away. I think the longest trip would be maybe like 45 mins away. Thats the farthest beach from my house, but I probably wont go there much anyways. I found a pic on the internet of exactly what i want. Two pics actually.

http://www.pbase.com/davebro/image/34795763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.pbase.com/davebro/image/34795765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just plain and simple like that. But in the second pic, imagine that little chair in the middle, not there. Thats exactly how I want it. just plain and simple.

VV

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:02 am

a friend of mine has a 64 econoline van with the 170 straight 6. its pretty cool but im not a big fan of vans, station wagons ftw!

DK

Post by DK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:14 am

Chill mobile, Chill mobile :D

Nout's more fun than a veedub, and I should know :wink:

I'm now saving up for a fridge for it as thanks to Baz (my van) I'm sorta broke. What you really need to add is a fold out bed, never had such a good kip as I had in my van.

ian2120

Post by ian2120 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:32 am

Vdubs FTW!!!!
I was brought up w/ them, as my mom had an '86 Jetta, my dad had a late 80's to early 90's Passat. He now has an R32. AS IN THE GOOD, RARE ONE :D. I'd love one of those busses too, when I'm older.
We Didn't Start The Fire! Watch!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5pjoRZNzC0
Andrew wrote:{I was so happy} I was singing in my head!
me wrote:What song?
Andrew wrote:All of them

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:39 pm

I need to get a Bus to match my 72' Super Beetle...
Preferably just as fast too :twisted:

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:15 pm

I say go for a shaggin' wagon too. I'd get one of those, except I kind of like the environment.

My car, while cramped for just chilling, is quite good on gas. You probably don't care too much about the environmental aspect of it, but when you take cost of gas in to consideration, you might be looking at something more efficient.

Electric Shaggin' Wagon 8) Woo! (No I kid)
Hey, sup?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:21 pm

volvo 740 turbo wagon, its roomy, efficient (20-30mpg!) comfortable and FAST :twisted:

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:09 am

bicostp wrote:Not too much for horsepower, but it makes about 200 lb/ft of torque with the stock headers and 1 barrel carb, and our low-geared truck with that motor can carry 3/4 of a ton and get 15 MPG.
Isnt 15 pretty bad?

Lol if you want a powerful van just get an '02 honda odyssey with towing package :P

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Widget9k

Post by Widget9k » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 am

i say go for the VW. my first car was a '70 standard beetle, a project that i worked on with my dad for 3 years of HS. it's fun on so many levels:

1. unique vehicle that is identified with you
2. fun project and family bonding tool
3. satisfaction of putting faith in your own project instead of just buying something like the rich kids

it will take you anywhere in town you need to go. just watch those cross-breezes!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:25 am

timmeh87 wrote:Isnt 15 pretty bad?
For a 35 year old full-size pickup with a low-geared transmission, 4.1:1 differential, and 3/4 ton cargo capcity? Not really. The new V6 Rams can only carry half a ton and get around 14.