What's your best portable project injury story?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

*o*

Post by *o* » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:15 pm

the paramedics had a look at me because i was choking from laughter
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

MasterChieff44

Post by MasterChieff44 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:18 pm

this isnt portable related at ALL but it was pretty funny. i was walking out of a restaurant with my dad (we were driving down from philly after watching the packers game), and i tried to get a toothpick from this weird container thing and all like 700 of them spilled out. my dad was already outside, and i was laughing so hard that when i opened the door i smacked into a trashcan/ashtray and it and i fell over, getting ash and trash everywhere. then this guy came out and told us it was ok and started to talk to my dad about some buffalo wing contest in vegas. pretty interesting stuff.

Current Projest: SnesP
Stage: eBay

*o*

Post by *o* » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:25 pm

im sure it was very funny if you were there :P

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:48 pm

Hmm..................... non portalbe related I got hyperextention in both knees at once and sprained both my ankles and ran track for a month without doing anything about it( it wasn't that bad) then during a race all the joints in my leg siezed and I could not move my legs (well barely) I moved myself to the finish line and still beat the fat kids :P :cry:

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:59 pm

Non portable related would be the sublexation of my shoulder, jaw, and both hips :cry:
Stupid genes....I wonder if bleaching them next time I wash them will help....

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:35 pm

Dropped a computer on my arms at once and broke 'em both...that was a sad day indeed... :wink:
-Luke

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:37 pm

This is not portable related either, but I and about 999,999 other Macintosh 8500 owners got cuts on our hands from poening the case.

I drove a motorcycle head-on into a tree when I was 8.

And one kid at school always body-slams me when we play recreational games of football. (he weighs about 50 pounds more than me, and points his elbow out before impact. It hurts like crazy.)

Once I tripped and cut up my arm something bad while running down the driveway towing 2 garbage cans. Painful and stinky! :lol:

monster

Post by monster » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:42 pm

i burnt my leg when modding naked. i had just gotten out of the shower, and was all wet, so instead of toweling myself off like a normal person, i decided to "air dry". bad idea. i was three inches from a very interesting scar in a very inappropriate place.

i also left my finger print in solder once, always use a wire to check if solder puddles are dry. always.
Mitzuko: Was that a gun?
Jun: Probably. This is America.
- Mystery Train

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:06 pm

I don't think I want to know how you got from modding to cutting. I had an operation in that "inapropriate place" once. Hurt like hell, and I wore a cup for a month because it hurt if my pants touched it. I am pretty fortunate, because I usually can't feel pain(thank you pain killers :wink: !). Seriously though, I haven't taken pain killers in a couple of years, but I am in constant pain, so it doesn't hurt much if I get injured. In PE today, I was running, and somehow I twisted and fell. My knee cap popped out of place, then my leg bent outwards at my knee, and the outside of my foot touched my waist. It hurt for like 5 seconds, then I got up and scored 8) .

monster

Post by monster » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:18 pm

what happened was some solder got stuck on the tip of the iron, when i moved it away from what i was soldering a fatty blob of solder fell on my thigh
Mitzuko: Was that a gun?
Jun: Probably. This is America.
- Mystery Train

radioactivelego

Post by radioactivelego » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:28 pm

Soldering tip injury #340596795067 reporting for duty. Do not desolder on a board when the soldering tip is sitting idle only 3 inches away.

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:51 pm

I think one of my coolest injurys was last year. I was go-kart racing at a new track, and the cars didn't have seatbelts at 75km/h(almost 40 mph). I was going down the stretch and had to make a hard turn, started to spin, hit the grass, and stopped, the this other idiot comes and nails me. I had a bruise from my knee to my groin, and another one on my stomach. Both were black and blue for over a month.

I almost died on a roller coaster once. I started going down the steep hill in the rear car, and I was on an old coaster with a crappy safety bar. Both my friend and I were thrown up, but our wallets caught the bar just in time to hold us in. We spent the rest of the ride cowering on the floor of the car. Hey, I just remembered that playland opens next Saturday. I know the first ride I'm going on :wink: .

*o*

Post by *o* » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:01 pm

wow a rollecoaster of doom there is no cleche i can think of which involves a rollercoaster of doom iots usually a bumper car

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:46 pm

I've hurt myself making movies way more than portables. My left shoulder still clicks from a fall during PW nearly 3 years ago.

If you're wearing shorts the solder flux can spray out and hit you, no big deal. When I was a teenager I worked at a restaurant frying fish (on weekends) and splattered grease isn't much different than solder/hot/glue.

My rule (with movies, or any project in general) is if you hurt yourself, then it must be good! Now, I don't mean go and TRY to hurt yourself, but if you're so into it it just sorta happens, then you're hard core and probably doing it right!

*o*

Post by *o* » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:57 pm

thats a bleak outlook...

while i was typuing this i was reminded of my 1 and only injury while making a portable i was getting a pentuim 1v heatsink..... i had it facing up DUMB IDEA i leant on it 80 pinpricks lukily it was gold plated and i didnt die of a horrible disease