Pet Peeves!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

metalcookie
Re: Pet Peeves!

Post by metalcookie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:37 pm

following limpport's footsteps, i hate that too.
i think the problem is years of empty threats without consequences, and the parent being afraid their children are going to hate them if they don't get what they want
Citizen Kane

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:48 pm

metalcookie wrote:following limpport's footsteps, i hate that too.
i think the problem is years of empty threats without consequences, and the parent being afraid their children are going to hate them if they don't get what they want
indeed. i know a family where the parents threaten their kids all the time, but the kids dont even listen because they know that their parents arent going to do any thing about it. :? it makes me want to beat the kids for the parents. :twisted:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

limpport

Post by limpport » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:50 pm

Also picking up behavior/language from the parents too. Had a 8 year old YELLING in the store, "F**K YOU GRANDMA!!! I HATE YOU!!!" when she wouldn't buy him a rubber chicken (dog) toy.

DJ711
Location:Deep in the garage trying so very hard not to fry my N64. Oh! Also NY

Post by DJ711 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:00 pm

I hate little kids that have meltdowns in Video Game Stores.

I have a gamestop that I can walk to and I do for the past couple of the weeks. I was in there trying to find a decent Teen game for Xbox 360. This little kid and his mom walked in and he picked out Bioshock and Brother's in Arms. So she goes to pay for it and the clerk refuses to let her buy it (This is the best clerk ever. Him and I had a 30 minute conversation about Castlevania as I was paying). Why? It's illegal to sell to M games to someone under 17 and he knew that it was goiing to this kid. So after about 3 times of trying to buy it. The little kid walks around the counter and screams "YOU HAVE TO SELL ME THS *insert curse word here* GAME!!! IF YOU DON'T SELL IT TO ME MY DADDY WILL BUY THIS *insert another curse word here* AND FIRE YOU AND YOU WILL BE A BUM ON THE STREET!!!!" The clerk bursts out laughing and then they left. The kid also said a lot more but the mother and him left.

I have seen other meltdowns like that and that's why I hate it even though its really funny
I haven't been here in awhile, and looking back it's one of the worst ideas I ever had. I'm back and I'll be here for awhile, I was quite active 1 year ago and I hope to become that again.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:08 pm

I hate humans (This is totally separate from the other things I hate). Our population is destroying the earth.

Think about the earth 300 years ago. Humans inhabited Asia and Europe, mostly, with a few living in harmony with their land in the rest of the world. Think about North America. Full of trees, forests, meadows, mountains, and beaches. Now, today, we hear stories of domesticated coyotes being shot because they're living in a city. Dudes. We should be shot, not the animals. WE are the ones who over-ran their entire habitat. We're the ones cutting down a small chunk of forest or prairie in thousands of cities every year to build a few more houses for our ever-expanding population.

I say to you all, with only a little skepticism, I feel that in a few hundred years, the only animals left in North America will be humans, and domesticated animals in zoos, our homes, and on our plates.

That is what I hate most. How much humans spread, and how little regard there is for long-term consequences of near everything we do. (I'm not making that up. Studies have been done that show that humans tend to ignore passive threats like pollution, car accidents, and smoking, and fear active threats like sharks and bears, even though they kill far less people every year.)
Hey, sup?

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 pm

If everyone in the entire world, all 6 billion of us, were at a standing-room-only concert (so everyone has two feet square to themselves), how much of the United States would be cover?

As much as Rhode Island?

Perhaps Texas?

No. We'd fit inside the city limits of Jacksonville, Florida. The entire rest of the world would be empty.

Obviously, that's too crowded to actually live that tightly bunched, but it does illustrate just how spread out we really are.

Too many people? I don't believe so.

limpport

Post by limpport » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:36 pm

eagle5953 wrote:If everyone in the entire world, all 6 billion of us, were at a standing-room-only concert (so everyone has two feet square to themselves), how much of the United States would be cover?

As much as Rhode Island?

Perhaps Texas?

No. We'd fit inside the city limits of Jacksonville, Florida. The entire rest of the world would be empty.

Obviously, that's too crowded to actually live that tightly bunched, but it does illustrate just how spread out we really are.

Too many people? I don't believe so.
It would make the most epic mosh pit EVER.

700 POSTS!!! WOOT!!!
Last edited by limpport on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:43 pm

limpport wrote:
It would make the most epic mosh pit EVER.
My thought's exactly.

Also, on the Jacksonville Florida comment.
That'd be with room to spare.
Over 150 square miles to spare.
Last edited by jleemero on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:46 pm

limpport wrote:It would make the most epic mosh pit EVER.
I'm totally picturing that scene from The Matrix in Zion...
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:28 pm

Hah. Yeahhhhh. The matrix was great. 8)

But really, saying we'd all fit inside that space means nothing. The fact remains that every person in North America occupies a house, a property, a place at work or school, a place in the grocery store, a few acres of farmland for your veggies and livestock that feeds you, a seat in the movie theatre, and much more. Sure, you don't actually occupy one little space, but those places are built because you use them. It's not about the space you as a person use up. It's about the space that you as a civilized being use up, including the public spaces society builds for everyone. And since our population is ever expanding, so is the space consumed.

The solution to this problem is not moshing in florida, however that would be SO cool.
Hey, sup?

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:29 pm

Life of Brian wrote:
limpport wrote:It would make the most epic mosh pit EVER.
I'm totally picturing that scene from The Matrix in Zion...
I'll take that as a sign to stop posting on here to procrastinate work on a paper comparing The Matrix and Plato's Allegory of the Cave.

RockNRoll!

Post by RockNRoll! » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:47 am

I hate people who hate me for living comfortably instead of in fear of being bad for the earth :P

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:52 am

eurddrue wrote:I hate people who over use smileys. And I hate the gay rights people. Why do gays even want to be married!? Why would you publisize that you are gay? WHAAAATTEEEEH screw!?
Whats wrong with gay people? Absolutely nothing.

Actually everyone should look up to openly gay people. You have no idea how much courage it takes to admit to something like that.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:05 am

Negative_Creep wrote:
eurddrue wrote:I hate people who over use smileys. And I hate the gay rights people. Why do gays even want to be married!? Why would you publisize that you are gay? WHAAAATTEEEEH screw!?

Actually everyone should look up to openly gay people. You have no idea how much courage it takes to admit to something like that.
Exactly

If i want to marry a man, it'll be for the same reason i'd marry a woman. Im Bi and i refuse to be demonised for it, so of course im going to stand up for my rights.

What does it matter to you anyway? its absolutly none of your business to say who can get married or not. Does affect you? No. So why care?

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:50 am

Kurt_ wrote:Hah. Yeahhhhh. The matrix was great. 8)

But really, saying we'd all fit inside that space means nothing. The fact remains that every person in North America occupies a house, a property, a place at work or school, a place in the grocery store, a few acres of farmland for your veggies and livestock that feeds you, a seat in the movie theatre, and much more. Sure, you don't actually occupy one little space, but those places are built because you use them. It's not about the space you as a person use up. It's about the space that you as a civilized being use up, including the public spaces society builds for everyone. And since our population is ever expanding, so is the space consumed.

The solution to this problem is not moshing in florida, however that would be SO cool.
You can look at it a few ways. In my opinion, how do you define something as natural? Human beings are on this planet and I think that because we were able to evolve faster than other species we deserve to be in charge. Now I agree we should still respect the environment and take care of the planet, but I don't think we should have to sacrifice our own comforts that we as a species have worked hard to achieve to do so. There's a balance, and while we haven't gotten there yet I hope we some day will. Until then we'll keep making mistakes just like anything else that's imperfect.
Extreme_Jesus wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:

Exactly

If i want to marry a man, it'll be for the same reason i'd marry a woman. Im Bi and i refuse to be demonised for it, so of course im going to stand up for my rights.

What does it matter to you anyway? its absolutly none of your business to say who can get married or not. Does affect you? No. So why care?
Did you guys not read my warning? Let's DROP THE SUBJECT unless you want the topic to be closed.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops