Ask Bibin about his DSi

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart
Re: Ask Bibin about his DSi

Post by schmellyfart » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Bibin wrote:
schmellyfart wrote:
Twilight Wolf wrote:Asked before, but not answered as of yet... Is it worth the price? Like, I love my PS3 keypad to death because of how awesome it is, but I don't think it would be worth the $50 MSRP. However, I got $20 off of it at GameStop since I had a gift card, and I think it's well worth the $30 I spent on it.
I do not think it is worth the $170 MSRP. The way I look at it is it costs more than a DSLite and plays less games...I got mine for $65 after a $100 gift card from my employer and a 10% discount. Now it is definitely worth it at that price :D
The most recent DS lite run units were terrible. The hinges were unreliable, and the screens had a very slow response rate that I find intolerable at best.
:? It was the DSi i got for $65, not the DS Lite. And besides, I prefer the phats over the Lites.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:51 am

I like my lite. I must have one of the older, less crappy ones. I don't have any screen issues, and the hinge is fairly nice.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:54 am

XCVG wrote:I like my lite. I must have one of the older, less crappy ones. I don't have any screen issues, and the hinge is fairly nice.
That's been my experience as well. I really like my lite, and I haven't seen anyone with hinge/screen issues either.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:07 pm

I had both versions - it seems that the earlier ones with the better screens also had better hinges. The lites aren't quite so durable, though.

Arrow-->

Post by Arrow--> » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:09 pm

this question has been asked but not answered
can you play youtube on it?

can you get here on it?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:12 pm

No.

Yes.

Excellent

yoshilime

Post by yoshilime » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:23 pm

i have not upgraded to a lite, so i think i'll upgrade. :mrgreen:
Sometimes, life isn't fair, but you just have to work around it.

Excellent

So Many Kinds of Bagels

Post by So Many Kinds of Bagels » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Alright, this is a question for anyone with a DS, and hopefully the OP will respond too.

My first game system ever was a Gameboy Color. I loved it. After getting a Gamecube and later a Wii, I realized I was behind on Nintendo's whole handheld lineup. I picked up a GBA, non-SP, for $20 at Gamestop. To this day, I have not used it. It's not that I don't think it's good, it's just that all the games are still really expensive. And that's for the "pretty good" ones. If I want Zelda or Advance Wars or something, I have to pay as much as I might for a gamecube or Wii game. Since I'm not on the road much, I just wouldn't feel like the use of that much money towards a portable game would be justified.

Anyway, I think the DS is awesome. I want one even if I wouldn't use it all the time. The thing is, the DSi looks more slick and up-to-date and sturdy, but I just don't see myself really using the camera or microphone too much. Do you think the $40 that separates it from the DS Lite is worth it for future DSi-only games or other reasons? And keep in mind, I still have the mindset that I don't want to spend too much for a portable game, and I still kind of want to play GBA games. But I have a GBA. But it'd be nice to have it incorporated in my DS. But the DSi is more slick. Ahhhh. Help, please.

Thanks.
Valve is the best company.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:44 pm

I believe the DSi is your best bet.

The new DS lites are cheap and terrible.
The DSi, on the other hand, is sturdy and high quality.

The lost GBA slot is nothing to cry about, after all, it couldn't even play GB/C games :roll:

I love my DSi.

EDIT: The slogan (What will you andImagedo) however, is gay.
Last edited by Basement_Modder on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:46 pm

There's a lot of good GBA games. When someone releases a recompiler so I can play them in DS mode from a flashcart I'll be happy. Ish.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:25 pm

XCVG wrote:There's a lot of good GBA games. When someone releases a recompiler so I can play them in DS mode from a flashcart I'll be happy. Ish.
Don't misuse terms. That is not a recompiler. You are thinking of an emulator that packs roms in with the final output, a la pocketNES or SNESadvance or the likes. It compiles a binary that just couples the emulator core with some roms; this is, however, not recompiling. That won't be released until we can possibly utilize the new DSi hardware. The DSi only has 16MB ram. You'd need a flash cart faster than MicroSD or CF to run GBA games from it. The only alternative is to copy both the emulator and the rom into ram, limiting the game size to ~12MB, since likely 4MB will at least be needed for the emulator itself. The emulator also would not run very smoothly if at all, as it's quite a daunting load to ask of such a system.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:42 pm

It will not happen.

The PSP does it, the GP2X can do it, but it simply does not have enough RAM to work well.

Excellent

ChrisKoopa

Post by ChrisKoopa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:01 am

whats the picture quality of the camera?
and if you can, post a picture taken with the dsi camera

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:17 am

Could anyone with a DSi and flashcart please try this thing?
http://www.cryptosystem.org/archives/20 ... -switcher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I already had someone try it, but I want to double check.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:58 am

Bibin wrote:
XCVG wrote:There's a lot of good GBA games. When someone releases a recompiler so I can play them in DS mode from a flashcart I'll be happy. Ish.
Don't misuse terms. That is not a recompiler. You are thinking of an emulator that packs roms in with the final output, a la pocketNES or SNESadvance or the likes. It compiles a binary that just couples the emulator core with some roms; this is, however, not recompiling. That won't be released until we can possibly utilize the new DSi hardware. The DSi only has 16MB ram. You'd need a flash cart faster than MicroSD or CF to run GBA games from it. The only alternative is to copy both the emulator and the rom into ram, limiting the game size to ~12MB, since likely 4MB will at least be needed for the emulator itself. The emulator also would not run very smoothly if at all, as it's quite a daunting load to ask of such a system.
Actually, recompiling and patching a game is possible. I believe the ARM7TDMI is necessary for DS games and still present, or at least emulated fairly well. However I admit that it is difficult. The whole input and output coding will have to be rewritten. Therefore patches would be game-specific. Just a thought.