Help, please. Need password recovered... or something.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Mageslayer
Help, please. Need password recovered... or something.

Post by Mageslayer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Years ago (not sure how old I was, probably about 16), I found the free hosting site Geocities. I created an account there, Mageslayer188. Over time I put quite a good bit of things on that site, at least one of which I want to recover.

My first, and most obvious problem, is that I have forgotten my password. Being 16ish, and new to the internet, I never gave out my real name, age, or location to sites I registered with, a paranoid behavior inspired most likely by my paranoid mother. Because of this, I have no clue who/where I said I was, and cannot recover the password through the Geocities password recovery service.

The second, possibly even MORE annoying problem, is that the things I posted on that site were not all meant for public viewing. There wasn't anything freakish, or graphic, or illegal, just creative works of my own that I was very critical of, and didn't want anyone to see. There was one project I was working on, which I wanted people to see, wanted opinions of, etc, so I showed a friend. He, however, did something I didn't expect: He went up into my index directory and started looking around, and referring people to my other things. Not only did I not want others to see these 'hidden' things, I also didn't want people KNOWING I was embarrassed about them (yes, I was one of THAT kind of teenager). Thus, I made this page: http://geocities.com/mageslayer188/ which made the other files, to my knowledge, no longer able to be seen without logging in or knowing the secret folder names. I've tried every password I ever remember using, every name for the hidden folders I could think of that would be relevant.

Now, I'm at a loss for what to do. I want to recover the stuff I tucked away so long ago. I don't even know what all of it is anymore, but looking to my past for inspiration has become very important to me of late. So I ask you, a community of people who I've seen as very knowledgeable, for your help.

As far as I know, my options are as follows:

1. Recover my password through some means that doesn't require the fake name/address/zip code I provided all those years ago.

2. Find some way of seeing the 'hidden' directories. Remember, I don't technically NEED to log into the account, and since none of the files have a password on them, I could just save them, provided I can VIEW them in the first place.

Can ANYONE help?
I once wrote:My head may be in the clouds, but the view up here is breathtaking.
"What kind of a monster are you?"
"The kind that killed your family."

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Help, please. Need password recovered... or something.

Post by bicostp » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Did you ever write down the names of the subdirectories?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:57 pm

star at /a and work your way up to /999999999999999999999999999999999999

that should cover it.
Hey, sup?

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:58 pm

but that's only two passwords :P
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:02 pm

Well someone posted an ethical hacking toolkit somewhere, I think this qualifies as ethical.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:25 am

I trust it you don't have the activation e-mail as it may contain the password and/or other details.
Also, have you asked your friend if he has a chat log? The dir name might be in there.
Also also, could you post the directory names you have tried so far? Perhaps other people could be able to crack it. (Yes, it sounds unlikely, but worth a try right?)
Edit: Or tell us a little bit more about the art.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:48 am

bicostp wrote:Did you ever write down the names of the subdirectories?
Maybe, but I no longer have the computer I would have written it down ON. It was on loan from the government because I was enrolled in a cyber school, and when I went back to public school, I had to give the computer back.
XCVG wrote:Well someone posted an ethical hacking toolkit somewhere, I think this qualifies as ethical.
Got a link? I couldn't find it, but maybe you remember where you saw it.
nitro2k01 wrote:I trust it you don't have the activation e-mail as it may contain the password and/or other details.
Also, have you asked your friend if he has a chat log? The dir name might be in there.
Also also, could you post the directory names you have tried so far? Perhaps other people could be able to crack it. (Yes, it sounds unlikely, but worth a try right?)
Edit: Or tell us a little bit more about the art.
No, I don't have the email. Back then I used to delete EVERYTHING with record of my passwords, because I used the same four or five passwords for everything, so I could easily remember all of my logins.
The friend wasn't a friend irl, he was an internet friend who has since disappeared from the internet. The purpose of creating the new directories was to keep things HIDDEN from said friend anyway and I doubt he'd have chat logs from 5 years ago.
As for what it was, like I said, I don't remember everything that was there, in fact the only thing I remember for sure was a Legend of Zelda story linking all the games together that was still very short. Thus the directories I've tried were related to that: Stories/story/writing/writings, etc. The project that I wanted displayed publicly at the time was a sprite comic I was working on, and is in the directory of http://geocities.com/mageslayer188/comic/
I once wrote:My head may be in the clouds, but the view up here is breathtaking.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:21 pm

Email geocities?

There's no backdoor to view all the subdirectories?
Hey, sup?

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:16 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Email geocities?
Somehow I doubt they'd be very keen on an email telling them I lied to them about the personal information they requested when I created the account :(.
Kurt_ wrote:There's no backdoor to view all the subdirectories?
That I made? Not that I remember. I was hoping someone would know of a way to view everything without such an index.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:16 pm

All they would do is email you a link to an email you had previously provided.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Did you save the activation email or what ever geocities uses to email your account info to ya for safe keeping?

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:38 pm

weaponepsilon wrote:All they would do is email you a link to an email you had previously provided.
Come to think of it, I don't think I ever supplied them with an email address. If I remember correctly I actually signed up for the email account, and my name/pass worked for Geocities too.
nightwheel wrote:Did you save the activation email or what ever geocities uses to email your account info to ya for safe keeping?
No. :(

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:47 pm

There has to be a way to view the index.

HAckers do it all the time. I know there is a link to view the ftp index but I currently forget it right now.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Mageslayer wrote:Come to think of it, I don't think I ever supplied them with an email address. If I remember correctly I actually signed up for the email account, and my name/pass worked for Geocities too.
Ok then, change the password for that email account and that will possibly fix you problem. But keep in mind, it may not work either.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:34 am

Dark-Aries wrote:There has to be a way to view the index.

HAckers do it all the time. I know there is a link to view the ftp index but I currently forget it right now.
If you think of it, please please please tell me.
nightwheel wrote:
Mageslayer wrote:Come to think of it, I don't think I ever supplied them with an email address. If I remember correctly I actually signed up for the email account, and my name/pass worked for Geocities too.
Ok then, change the password for that email account and that will possibly fix you problem. But keep in mind, it may not work either.
I can't access the email either, since it has the same password as the Geocities site.