what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Triton
Moderator
Posts: 7396
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 12:33 pm
360 GamerTag: triton199
Steam ID: triton199
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by Triton » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Why an alternator? Corvettes have them..... they don't work off a magneto system. Where do you think the 12v comes from?
maybe he meant distributer? electronic ignition or something?

User avatar
bicostp
Moderator
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Steam ID: bicostp
Location: Spamalot
Contact:

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by bicostp » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:27 pm

No, because the only remaining 1983 Corvette is a museum piece.
Wikipedia wrote:The fourth generation Corvette began production in March 1983 as a 1984 model. The 1983 model year was skipped due to production problems, although 44 prototype 1983 models were completed. All 44 1983 model year prototypes assembled were crushed except for one (the 23rd produced), which is displayed at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
I like the C4 models better than the new ones.

User avatar
limpport
Senior Member
Posts: 1873
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: (the only person here from) Vermont
Contact:

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by limpport » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:39 pm

At a Staples looking at laptops.

Sales associate: So you looking for a laptop?
Me: Yeah, sorta.
SA: You looking for a gaming machine? This baby here has 6 gigs of RAM!
Me: Is it running 32 bit or 64 bit Vista?
SA: Um... 32, I'm pretty sure...
Me: ...........

adam_d
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:12 am

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by adam_d » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:39 pm

limpport wrote:At a Staples looking at laptops.

Sales associate: So you looking for a laptop?
Me: Yeah, sorta.
SA: You looking for a gaming machine? This baby here has 6 gigs of RAM!
Me: Is it running 32 bit or 64 bit Vista?
SA: Um... 32, I'm pretty sure...
Me: ...........
As stupid as that sounds, I saw an Acer the other day, same situation, which actually did only have 32-bit Vista Basic installed, and only showed 3000mb RAM, even though it was fitted with 4gb, and had dedicated graphics. I didn't even think they'd be allowed to sell them like that :shock:

User avatar
DK
Posts: 1107
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:00 am
Location: None of your business pedo nerds

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by DK » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:41 pm

Another PC store gem:

Me: I'll have that laptop please.
SA: Would you like McAfee antivirus with that
Me: I'll be fine, putting linux on it when I get home.
SA: Are you aware you'll have to install new drivers for that.
Me:.... :lol:
Image

Gordon1
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:47 pm
Location: Canada

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by Gordon1 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:45 pm

bicostp wrote:No, because the only remaining 1983 Corvette is a museum piece.
Wikipedia wrote:The fourth generation Corvette began production in March 1983 as a 1984 model. The 1983 model year was skipped due to production problems, although 44 prototype 1983 models were completed. All 44 1983 model year prototypes assembled were crushed except for one (the 23rd produced), which is displayed at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
I like the C4 models better than the new ones.
Oh alright, that makes sense. Naw, C3 is where it is at.

MervTeck
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:31 pm
Contact:

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by MervTeck » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:19 pm

not so much tech but seeing as how were on cars a little to. i was at a gm dealership ( not much of a choice out here in new hampshire)

me: i was wondering if i can test drive the Pontiac g6.
SA: sure we just need a few lines of information (40 minuets later)
me: so do you need my licence or insurance card or anything?
SA: no sir no license needed. (WTF?)
me: ... ok... well can we go drive the g6?
SA: sorry sir we have to make sure you pass a credit score check of 600 or more as the g6 is the corvette of the Pontiacs
me: *staring blankly* the hell are you talking about its not even close not to mention the G8 outside thats still not that close
SA: it seams sir you dont understand Pontiacs and there premier and distinguished racing history
me: your a f%*$#ng idiot...

and on the way out after his retarded statement i pointed to the Z06 vette parked in the show room kinda yelling "THATS A CORVETTE LEARN IT"

He actually had the balls to call me this morning asking if iwanted to come in and talk about financing LOL

and the second was 5 days or so ago my girlfriend came in telling me how she took her 99 Pontiac Grand Prix in to a mechanic to figure out why it wouldent accelerate quickly anymore.

her: Hunny the mechanic told me the carborater is clogged
me: ... wtf? its fuel injected there is no carb.
her: he also said the radiator hose is leaking
me: ok anything else?
her: he said the exhausterator is running out of gas and oil
me: *facepalms* jesus im gonna stop being lazy and just fix it myself

1 bottle of fule injector cleaner for 2.50 and a 6 dollar radiator hose later. Fan freaking tastic all over again.

User avatar
themadhacker
Senior Member
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:53 pm
Location: ohio

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by themadhacker » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:58 pm

As much as I obsess over cars (old ones only new ones look like turd), I am taking this topic back to stupid hacking comments.

I am sure a lot of people remember this, but a few months ago there was some idiot on here who wanted to put a ps2p in a psp phat case. AND even after twenty or so of us told him it was impossible, he still insisted it could be done and kept telling us he had "plans and schematics" to make the 6 LAYER ps2 board smaller.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

User avatar
jjhammerstein
Senior Member
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:15 pm
Location: Southern CT
Contact:

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by jjhammerstein » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:04 pm

I remember that! XD
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO


User avatar
eagle5953
Moderator
Posts: 1892
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:06 pm
360 GamerTag: eagle5953
Steam ID: eagle5953
Contact:

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:14 pm

themadhacker wrote:I am sure a lot of people remember this, but a few months ago there was some idiot on here who wanted to put a ps2p in a psp phat case. AND even after twenty or so of us told him it was impossible, he still insisted it could be done and kept telling us he had "plans and schematics" to make the 6 LAYER ps2 board smaller.
Can anyone find that particular thread? I searched for it, but was unable to find it. Sounds hilarious!

User avatar
jjhammerstein
Senior Member
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:15 pm
Location: Southern CT
Contact:

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by jjhammerstein » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 pm

eagle5953 wrote:
themadhacker wrote:I am sure a lot of people remember this, but a few months ago there was some idiot on here who wanted to put a ps2p in a psp phat case. AND even after twenty or so of us told him it was impossible, he still insisted it could be done and kept telling us he had "plans and schematics" to make the 6 LAYER ps2 board smaller.
Can anyone find that particular thread? I searched for it, but was unable to find it. Sounds hilarious!
If you are so inclined, you can search through ALL OF MY POSTS.
There are only 47 pages, not many compared to some of the other posters in it.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO


nevermind1534
Senior Member
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Steam ID: nevermind1534
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:03 pm

themadhacker wrote:As much as I obsess over cars (old ones only new ones look like turd), I am taking this topic back to stupid hacking comments.

I am sure a lot of people remember this, but a few months ago there was some idiot on here who wanted to put a ps2p in a psp phat case. AND even after twenty or so of us told him it was impossible, he still insisted it could be done and kept telling us he had "plans and schematics" to make the 6 LAYER ps2 board smaller.
But then you wouldn't have any room for DVDs
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

User avatar
themadhacker
Senior Member
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:53 pm
Location: ohio

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by themadhacker » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:08 pm

Somehow he wasn't able to grasp that fact when I pointed it out.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

User avatar
bicostp
Moderator
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Steam ID: bicostp
Location: Spamalot
Contact:

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by bicostp » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:30 pm

"I don't need it to play DVDs, I need it to play PS2 games, DUH!" :lol:

Speaking of auto parts store retardation, I remember one time when we needed to fill a hole in the exhaust on a truck we had when I was a kid. We went to the store, and the clerk behind the counter tried to sell us an exhaust patch kit. He would have sold it to us, too. But he said "even though it says it's for a Cadillac on the box, it's the right diameter so it should fit your Mitsubishi." Big mistake on his part. His supervisor storms over and starts berating him about "selling us something we can't use" and "blatantly lying". The supervisor refused to sell us the part.

So we went home and fixed it with a soup can and some hose clamps. :lol:

User avatar
SonyPortableizer
Portablizer
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:49 pm
Contact:

Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by SonyPortableizer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:40 pm

themadhacker wrote:As much as I obsess over cars (old ones only new ones look like turd), I am taking this topic back to stupid hacking comments.

I am sure a lot of people remember this, but a few months ago there was some idiot on here who wanted to put a ps2p in a psp phat case. AND even after twenty or so of us told him it was impossible, he still insisted it could be done and kept telling us he had "plans and schematics" to make the 6 LAYER ps2 board smaller.
S*%T I missed that thread, I woulda hurt his self-esteem with a 30 line post about how it isnt possible.
Image

Post Reply