whats your favorite portable device?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ValiantVenality
Portablizer
whats your favorite portable device?

Post by ValiantVenality » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:51 pm

title says it all. mine would have to be MY BRAND SPANKING NEW NOKIA N810!!! i just got it in the mail and all i can say is wow. the best device ive ever owned. this kicks the ipod touches ass any day. (btw im posting from it right now) the screen is so crisp and ive been playing my nes emulator for hours on end. so enough about my device what about yours?

VV

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Re: whats your favorite portable device?

Post by Twilight Wolf » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Probably my wallet. I can keep money in it and use said money to buy things.

Wait, did you mean electronic portable device? I have no idea, then.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:09 pm

My Leatherman. Its the old school PST II. Has everything I ever need. The most important feature though is the bottle opener.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:48 am

ValiantVenality wrote:title says it all. mine would have to be MY BRAND SPANKING NEW NOKIA N810!!! i just got it in the mail and all i can say is wow. the best device ive ever owned. this kicks the ipod touches ass any day. (btw im posting from it right now) the screen is so crisp and ive been playing my nes emulator for hours on end. so enough about my device what about yours?

VV
N800 is better. :wink: I would argue for it, but it has a lot of advantages.

That said, YES! The N8X0 series is amazing, it is a pity the ipod touch has won in comparison. :( That said, media playback is a joke; They had a terrible design using the PowerVR accelerator, and the low bandwidth on the video bus means you only get a max framerate of 20fps feeding it a full 800x480 input, with about 30 fps for half res. :( So sad, a great device crippled by it.

Have you made a USB host cable? You can do it the lazy way and run a piece of software every time, and use some gender benders, OR you can do it the RIGHT way by making a custom USB connector with pin 5 grounded. That way, it autodetects! :mrgreen:

I would have to say my N800, before I sold it to vskid. I got an ipod touch, which is not nearly as great, but I needed a smaller device. :( I should pick an N800/N810 again one of these days... Great screen, great software, AMAZING multitasking, GREAT offline youtube saver (Get "mytube", I think it is. Amazing.) good speakers for such a small device, dual SDHC slots, webcam, and the browsing experience rivals that of any of the Atom powered netbooks around. Plus, flash 9! :D If you lack a handheld computer/browser of some kind, get one, they are seriously amazing.

Excellent

DK

Post by DK » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:07 am

Rekarp wrote: The most important feature though is the bottle opener.
Who needs a bottle opener when you have teeth :wink:

My favorite protable device is probably my PSP, or my DS if i'm in a Phoenix Wright mood.

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:42 am

portable dvd player, then I added my portable analog tuner, so its also a portable tv

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:13 am

DK wrote:
Rekarp wrote: The most important feature though is the bottle opener.
Who needs a bottle opener when you have teeth :wink:
Eye Socket.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:07 am

PDA. Dell Axim x30 Mid, fully loaded with a 2 gig SD card. (It can't take bigger ones because it doesn't have SDHC capability. It does have SDIO, so it could get a BPS receiver or an ATSC tuner.)

312 mhz Intel Xscale processor
320x240 screen (meh, it's good enough for videos, emulators, and emergency intarwebs fixes :lol:)
64 MB of internal memory (as much as the new Toshiba Camelio HD camcorder!)
802.11b (it used to be fun running down my college's WiFi speed by being the only B device on a G network. :lol:)
Bluetooth (works with new phone, more on that shortly)
Battery that still works (yay)
Windows Mobile 2003 SE

It's enough to run NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, and Game Gear/Master System games 100% speed. (Though the pocket version of SNES9x I found needs to have sound disabled to get playable frame rates. Super Mario World with sound = 10 FPS. No sound = 30. Everything else runs great.) It's also got TCPMP, a VLC-like media player, and a bunch of videos resized to the native screen res and a low bitrate. (<200k/sec is very watchable on a 3" screen.)

Total price: $10 for the SD card. Somebody who was going to throw it away because they bought a Blackberry gave it away.

I bought a new cell phone the other day. It's an LG 600g from TracFone, to replace my Nokia 2600 TracFone. The main thing is it's a flip phone, so it shouldn't decide to dial out while it's in my pocket like the old one. It's also got Bluetooth, but unlike the Motorola phones by TracFone, the system isn't crippled to only sync with earpieces*. It connects to my PDA and exchanges files no problem. (The PDA is the only other device I have with Bluetooth.) It has a camera, and it's as good as you'd expect the camera on an inexpensive phone to be. (About as good as those $10 keychain cameras at Wal-Mart.) It's also smaller and lighter than the old one, which is nice.

It was only $50 at Target, and it came with a 'double minutes for the life of this phone' card. (Basically when you add minutes with a card from the store, it automatically doubles the number. So a 40 minute card will be worth 80 minutes.)

* Don't worry, I'm not getting one of those stupid things.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:20 pm

I also have a PDA; I have a Palm T|X:

312 Mhz processor
320 x 480 resolution (the best part!)
3.9 inch touchscreen
wifi B, bluetooth, infrared
an adequate web browser
2 gig SD card
plays NES, haven't tried anything else
opens Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, and PDF docs
146.6 cubic cm body (less than 9 cubic inches)

But I more often am using my M33-running PSP:
333 Mhz processor
278 x 480 resolution
wifi B, infrared
sub-par web browser
4 GB memory stick pro duo
plays GG, GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, and of course PSP games
also keep a selection of video clips on it (such as Charlie the Unicorn and David Blaine: Street Magic)

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:59 pm

I don't really bring anything electronic around with me.

When I go out I bring 1 of 3 things.

1. One of several assorted rubiks cubes
2. A book
3. A friend

Although I have had my eye on the N8XX series for awhile and the Sony reader.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:03 pm

...My watch.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DJ711
Location:Deep in the garage trying so very hard not to fry my N64. Oh! Also NY

Post by DJ711 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:52 pm

If I'm in a long trip or need harcore gaming, PSP hands down I own a DS too but to be honest the only good game I have ever played that I didn't beat in 2 hours was Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

If we are talking waiting time or in a video/gaming mood my iPod touch. Safari is beautiful and works great and Hero of Sparta can keep me busy for hours.

So I have two: PSP and iPod touch.
I haven't been here in awhile, and looking back it's one of the worst ideas I ever had. I'm back and I'll be here for awhile, I was quite active 1 year ago and I hope to become that again.

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:49 pm

Not to be conceited, but probably my N64 portable. :lol:

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:22 pm

prolly a 50/50 split between my zune and GP2X at present. when i get it the Raon Everun note will be my fave hands down tho :D

Turknatr12
360 GamerTag:turknatr
Location:Richland Center, Wisconsin, USA, North America, Earth

Post by Turknatr12 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:17 pm

By: Xteaph-N

"Look at you, flying through the air majestically, like an eagle piloting a blimp."
http://www.youtube.com/user/RMSJaggers?feature=guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;