Epoxy

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Mediocre
Epoxy

Post by Mediocre » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 pm

So I have been using an epoxy called QuikSteel, and it smells amazingly horrible (which is an understatement) . I was wondering if there was one that didnt smell so damn bad. If so could you please post a pic of the case and where you got it I would greatly appreciate it. Im at work right now, but ill post a pic of the QuikSteel case when I get home. Oh and maybe a 1-10 scale of smell... 10 Being rotten festering garbage (aka QuikSteel epoxy) and 1 being chocolate chip cookies.

The reason behind this is that I live in an apartment, and when it rains I can do little to no casework. I'm sure this info would be helpful to others. Thanks again!

-Med
If at first you don't succeed, try try to not screw up the second time.

Jon

Re: Epoxy

Post by Jon » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:59 pm

West system epoxy doesn't smell too bad. It's pretty expensive though.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... oxy%20west

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Never, ever, solder for extend periods in an apartment. And NEVER, EVER use epoxy in a space like that. Even if it does not smell bad, the fumes are very toxic. Only work in an area with really good ventilation, or outside.

Or else, you get brain damage. Or a splitting headache (Personal experience). :lol:

Excellent

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:45 pm

palmertech wrote:Never, ever, solder for extend periods in an apartment. And NEVER, EVER use epoxy in a space like that. Even if it does not smell bad, the fumes are very toxic. Only work in an area with really good ventilation, or outside.

Or else, you get brain damage. Or a splitting headache (Personal experience).
Never, ever, solder for extend periods in an apartment. And NEVER, EVER use epoxy in a space like that. Even if it does not smell bad, the fumes are very toxic. Only work in an area with really good ventilation, or outside.

Or else, you get brain damage. Or a splitting headache (Personal experience). :lol:
Mediocre wrote:The reason behind this is that I live in an apartment, and when it rains I can do little to no casework.
I think he does it outside.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:49 pm

He is saying he cannot use the smelly stuff inside, so he wants non-smelly stuff so he CAN work inside.

Regardless of smell, the vapors are still toxic.

Excellent

Mediocre

Post by Mediocre » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:29 pm

I do most of my casework outside, I set up my desk by a huge window, and have a fan blowing out the patio door I get plenty of circulation. However I'd like to do more inside by the patio door (I get a lot of nosy neighbors who stare when I work on my patio). But the stench of the epoxy I use would put my girl into a frenzy I don't want to deal with. :)
If at first you don't succeed, try try to not screw up the second time.

skeneegee

Post by skeneegee » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:26 am

Apoxie Sculpt, (http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apox ... culpt.html) it rocks my socks!

Non toxic and comes in 10 colors plus it's cheap. It's just like working with clay that gets rock hard in like 3 hrs. You can sand and drill and tap it after it cures.

Anyway I've mentioned it here before because I love the stuff.

(edit: I love it but can't spell it right)
Notorious wrote:Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this