So I bought a PS3...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod
Re: So I bought a PS3...

Post by jones » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Twilight Wolf wrote:
Rekarp wrote:
Twilight Wolf wrote:The PC version actually costs more. Last time I checked, "The Orange Box" for the Xbox 360 and the PS3 cost only $20, and the PC version cost $30.
When it was first released. PC was $50, 360 and PS3 was $60.
Yeah, to be fair, I can imagine the PS3 version hitting the $15 mark by year's end. You know, since the PS3 version has been, to make a terrible pun, Left 4 Dead.

Anyways, enough of this petty debate. I've spent at least 20+ hours on "Uncharted" and I'm only something like 51% done with it. I suck.
Do you mean that you have 51% of the trophies?

I only have 40% of those so far. Got a long ways to go to finish them off.

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:22 pm

I have 0% of the trophies. I didn't download the update before I started the game, so even though I have many of the in-game achievements, I lost any and all chance of getting the corresponding trophies without completely restarting the game. (I am considering doing such, though; it's been a while since I've played it and I'm not sure what to do anymore. Blame "The Orange Box.")

No, according to the "Game Data" part of the XMB, I'm something like 51% through the game. I wonder why more games don't tell you stuff like that?
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Twilight Wolf wrote:No, according to the "Game Data" part of the XMB, I'm something like 51% through the game. I wonder why more games don't tell you stuff like that?
I didn't even know about this... I must go and investigate now...

EDIT: Hmmm... Mine doesn't say anything about a percentage. It just seems to be time stamped with the time I first played the game.

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Well, I'm glad I helped you to discover something new!

But yeah, "Uncharted" is the only game I own that tells you how far you are through the game. All the rest just tell you stuff like how much space it takes up on the HDD, what version it is, boring stuff like that.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Ah ha! I found it. It is under Saved Game Utility.

Indeed it does say that I am at 100% complete and I played it for 8 hours and 35 minutes. Got 33 treasures and 350 medal points so far. That is kind of a neat feature. Too bad other games don't take advantage of it.

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Oh, I guess I had the location wrong. I knew it was one of those two...

Either way, I'd love to see more games make use of this feature. I'd love to see, for example, my position in the "Team Fortress 2" or "Warhawk" leaderboards, or maybe how many times I've wrecked in "Burnout Paradise." Just fun, though more-or-less useless information like that would make the whole experience a little more entertaining.

One thing I am glad to see is mandatory trophy support for games released January 2009 and onward. Now Sony just needs to give me the ability to rip PS1 games to my HDD and I'll be totally satisfied.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Well you got me pointed in the right direction anyway!

The thing I like best about it was it showed how much time I had put into the game. So now I know it took me 8.5 hours to beat it. Kind of cool.

I haven't seen what it does for any other games, because I haven't played anything else. LOL Will have to pop in Resistance 2 one of these days...

That is pretty sweet that they are mandating trophies going forward. They aren't quite as cool as achievements for my money, but they are still fun in their own tacked on kind of way.

emeraldz
PSN Username:Ktiger41

Post by emeraldz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:29 pm

so the real question is: Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5. Which one are you getting, or are you getting both? You can't not buy at least one of these titles and call yourself a PS3 owner.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Well the only games I plan on getting for the PS3 are exclusives, so I guess it would have to be Killzone 2. I would need to read up on it a bit more before committing though.

Haze was supposed to be amazing and, well... We know how that ended...

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:53 pm

It landed in the "bargain games" section of Target. Tragic.

As for me, none of those games are a priority... I've still yet to buy "Call of Duty 4." I'm behind the times.
jones wrote:That is pretty sweet that they are mandating trophies going forward. They aren't quite as cool as achievements for my money, but they are still fun in their own tacked on kind of way.
Yeah, I have my suspicions about them just being rip-offs of achievements, but hey, they're both pretty useless and they both give you a feeling of satisfaction when you get one, so who cares?
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:08 am

Yeah, and to top it all off late last year (due to the colossal failure of Haze) the developer had to close up shop. I remember people saying that game was going to be the Halo-killer for the PS3... To quote the Joker: "I mean, what happened?"

If you go for a Call of Duty, skip CoD4 and go straight for World at War. It is infinitely better in my opinion. The whole modern setting with some generic bad guys in 4 was pretty lame to me. Sure WWII has been done to death, but they added the Pacific theater this time and the historical setting gives some weight to the battles (something CoD4 lacked). It is a good time to be had for sure!

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:21 am

Opinion among my friends is more or less split between "4" and "World At War." "4" looks more appealing to me, but more of them recommend "World at War." Either way, it's $60. I don't usually like to drop that much on a single game, especially if I'm not sure if it's the one I really want. "The Orange Box" will have to satisfy my online FPS gaming for now, at least until I can make up my mind.

I appreciate the input nonetheless, though. It's helpful.

Also, I know you were talking about getting "Gran Turismo 5." I've been playing "Prologue" lately, and it's really cool. It's still gonna be a while until the full game is released, so you may consider picking up "Prologue" to satisfy your "Gran Turismo" needs. It's not quite worth $40 (in my experience, anyways), but if you can find it for less used or online, it'd probably be worth the price.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:53 pm

Hey, as long as TF2 is still keeping you occupied there's really no need to pick anything else up at the moment. You probably should get Resistance 2 when you do decide to get something else though. I need somebody to play that with! LOL

If I could get Prologue for 15-20 bucks I'd probably think about it. There's just no way I can justify $40 for what amounts to little more than a glorified tech demo. I played it a few months back and all I thought about when playing it was how much was missing... Would be fun to try out the online racing in it, although without any sort of vehicle damage it seems like people would just ram into you and generally make a mess of the proceedings...

bcopping

Post by bcopping » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:26 pm

jones wrote:Hey, as long as TF2 is still keeping you occupied there's really no need to pick anything else up at the moment. You probably should get Resistance 2 when you do decide to get something else though. I need somebody to play that with! LOL

If I could get Prologue for 15-20 bucks I'd probably think about it. There's just no way I can justify $40 for what amounts to little more than a glorified tech demo. I played it a few months back and all I thought about when playing it was how much was missing... Would be fun to try out the online racing in it, although without any sort of vehicle damage it seems like people would just ram into you and generally make a mess of the proceedings...
I'll play Resistance2 with you once a certain guy by the name of Ben is done my controller ;) I think it's a great game but some people think otherwise, whatever.

As for GT5: Prologue the online part needs a major rework. There is NO way you can be guaranteed to play against your buddies, ie no invites, party system etc.

But Killzone 2 looks and sounds like it's living up to its greatness. Definitely buying that one, the demo comes out Feb. 5th, I have an extra demo code I can give you.

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:55 pm

I haven't had a whole lot of experience with the online portion of "GT5P," but I did notice it didn't seem as easy to use as other online PS3 games I've played - even "The Orange Box." I also learned how much I still suck at driving in that game.

"Resistance 2?" I'll probably pick it up one of these days, but I'd like to finish the original first.

As for "Killzone 2," I'll see how I feel when the time comes.

Finally, you need to pick up "Warhawk" if you haven't already; that game is awesome.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.