So I bought a PS3...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod
So I bought a PS3...

Post by jones » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:53 pm

If you listened to the most recent podcast you knew this already.

If not, well then I'll just say I picked it off the bones of Circuit City this past weekend.

Anyway, I'm wondering what game(s) I should get for it as I don't have any yet. I am somewhat intrigued by Little Big Planet and possibly Resistance 2.

I figure if any PS3 owners can put their two cents in on what games would be best to check out that would be cool.

EDIT: PSN ID = jarjarisgod

Thanks,

Jones
Last edited by jones on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:56 pm

Ha, I just posted some game recommendations for you in the PSN ID thread.

Oh, well, here they are again: "Warhawk," "The Orange Box" (unless you already have the PC or Xbox 360 versions), "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune," and "Resistance: Fall of Man." They're all excellent. "LittleBigPlanet" is quite fun, as well.

From what I've heard, "Bioshock" and "Fallout 3" are also great, but since they're multiplatform, you might already have them.

Out of curiosity, which model did you get, the 80GB model or the 160GB model?
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Ha, great minds think alike I guess.

I forgot about Uncharted! That game seemed like it would be pretty cool.

Yeah, I already have Orange Box and BioShock for the 360. BioShock was amazing and I need to spend some more time with The Orange Box, but I enjoyed it the little that I played it.

I played a bit of Fallout 3 on the 360 and while good, it didn't hook me like Oblivion did or like Fable 2 has. That is an excellent game if you have a 360 and enjoy RPG's!

I have played Resistance before and I did enjoy it. I think I can get my hands on that one without having to buy it.

So Little Big Planet is worth the money then?

I picked up the 80GB for $360. I don't know if they even had the 160GB models there. It was a pretty sweet deal though! Now they just need to bring out Gran Turismo 5 and my purchase will be justified. :)

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:10 pm

I'd say "LittleBigPlanet" is worth the money. It's a lot of fun, has online multiplayer, and you can create your own levels! Plus you've got a variety of free costumes for SackBoy you can download.

Also, "echochrome" and "WipEout HD" are excellent PlayStation Store titles. I've had "echochrome" for a while; very unique game. I bought "WipEout HD" forever ago but only downloaded it the other night. Gorgeous graphics and lots of fun.

Last but not least, if you plan on doing a lot of messaging on your PS3, I'd very much recommend getting the keypad. Though I'm not quite sure it's worth $50, it really makes typing easier and faster, plus it saves space, which was a big plus for me, personally. Of course, if you've got a USB mouse and keyboard, those will work just as well.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Cool! Thanks for the tips.

I didn't realize Little Big Planet even had multiplayer. LOL I knew you could download levels and stuff, but I guess there is more to it than that.

I'll have to take a look at the PSN Store stuff too. That Pixel Junk Monsters game is pretty cool.

One thing I've found that I like about the PS3 so far is that almost all of the themes are FREE! On 360 it is rare to find any of that stuff (that isn't for a movie) for free. So I downloaded a whole crapload of them. Good times. :)

Oh by the way, I added you to my friends list. Maybe we can game once I actually get something to play. LOL

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:18 pm

Sounds great! I'll accept your invite as soon as I get on, which will probably be in a few minutes.

I do love the free themes, but I'm attached to the classic "Wave" theme. I just love watching the colors change from bright *whatever color* to black through the day. I also love how you can stream media from your PC to your PS3. Copied a few songs to my hard drive that way.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

JAY

Post by JAY » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm

The only games that I own for PS3 are Metal Gear Solid 4, Skate, and LittleBigPlanet. I personally was not impressed by MGS4. LBP is superb if you like to make stuff. Skate is above and beyond the game that keeps me the most occupied (aside from WoW).

The best thing to do right away is to start downloading demos. I have 25 installed at the moment, and they certainly saved me from mistakenly puchasing games that were supposed to be good (Star Wars: the Force Unleashed, Soul Calibur IV, Grid). I did not like the Resistance demo, but it was mostly due to the bad responsiveness of the controls. After years of PC shooters, most console shooters make me feel like I'm steering a tank. The Rachet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction demo was pretty good, but I never got around to buying the game.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:00 am

PS3? Noob. PC4life
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:05 am

Them's fightin' words where I come from.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:12 am

oooh oooh...a war brewin!? lol.

That darn PC vs console war....Fortunatly for me, I'm a little of both. :)

As far as PS3 games go, the only one I've played is resitance, and that game is pretty cool. Definetly pick it up, especially if you can land one for free ;)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:14 am

Metallica Man X wrote:That darn PC vs console war....Fortunatly for me, I'm a little of both. :)
Yeah, me too.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:06 pm

It is funny how it never fails that these topics always have to have some sort of PC vs. console debate show up in them.

All I asked about was games for the PS3 for pete's sake!

I spent $360 on a gaming system. Last I checked, you couldn't even pick up a computer capable of mere web surfing for that price. Ugh!

Thanks to those of you who have put forth game suggestions. I will definitely be picking something up soon. :)

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:09 pm

jones wrote:It is funny how it never fails that these topics always have to have some sort of PC vs. console debate show up in them.

I spent $360 on a gaming system. Last I checked, you couldn't even pick up a computer capable of mere web surfing for that price. Ugh!

Thanks to those of you who have put forth game suggestions. I will definitely be picking something up soon. :)
Its ok Jones my PC can't play Blueray yet.

I asked my brother who owns a PS3 and he said the Rachet and Clank game was pretty good and Resistance was good. I actually played Littlebigplanet with him over the break and to tell the truth I was extremely let down by the game.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Rekarp wrote:Its ok Jones my PC can't play Blueray yet.

I asked my brother who owns a PS3 and he said the Rachet and Clank game was pretty good and Resistance was good. I actually played Littlebigplanet with him over the break and to tell the truth I was extremely let down by the game.
Ha! Good point on the Blu-ray. I suppose it could, but it wouldn't be cheap to do so.

Interesting to hear you say that about Little Big Planet. I was reading a review of it today and they said the campaign was super short in it. Even if you go back through to get all of the extras and such, they said it would only take about 6 hours to do everything. So that's a little disappointing. I guess the multiplayer and level building would have to make up for that to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Rathet & Clank is one I haven't heard much about. I'll have to investigate that to see what it is all about.

I'm kind of leaning toward Resistance 2 at the moment. The 8 player co-op and 60 player multiplayer battles sound pretty compelling. Plus, the campaign in the first one was pretty decent from what I can recall.

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:42 pm

jones wrote:It is funny how it never fails that these topics always have to have some sort of PC vs. console debate show up in them.

Eh, it's the internet. That's what happens.
jones wrote:Thanks to those of you who have put forth game suggestions. I will definitely be picking something up soon. :)
Awesome!

Also, let me know at any time if you feel like a game; I'l be happy to join you. I mean, it's not like I have anything better to do.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.