Windows 7 Public Beta

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp
Windows 7 Public Beta

Post by bicostp » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Well it looks like Microsoft finally fixed most of the early server problems they were having with the beta; the 64 bit edition downloaded fine for me. (After a few hours, but what else do you expect for sucking a 3.5 gig file through a DSL connection?) I burned it to a DVD and installed on the HTPC with a spare 120 gig Western hard drive.

Installation was really pretty simple. Microsoft finally ditched the old NT 4.0 text-based preinstaller; you're given a Fedora 7 style GUI installer. Installation only took a half hour, including downloading the drivers for the computer's RealTek audio chip. (The only hardware not automatically recognized and installed.)

It's working on downloading 3DMark Vantage now. I'll probably record the results and post them to YouTube for kicks. (Seeing as it barely struggled through 3DMark 06 and only got an Experience Score of 4.0, we're in for some comedy. :lol:)

The wallpaper kept changing on me (with a nice but annoying fade effect), so it changed a couple times between screenshots.

Here's the desktop it booted up to (with the addition of the sticky note and clock window.) The clock is still down in the taskbar, where it's been since Windows 95, but now if you click it once it brings up a window with an analog clock and a calendar. We like that. If anyone knows of a freeware XP addon that does this, please post it.

IE 8 beta showing the forums and about box. The "Sticky Notes" application is also running, describing how it's not such an original idea after all. Apple had basically the same thing back in the early 90s with System 7.5.)

Also, IE 8 beta retains the completely retarded "a window for every download" model from IE 5. What the hell, Microsoft? Opera and Firefox both have consolidated download windows, and they at least 100 times better than this bologna.

Some of the desktop "gadgets" (really liberated Vista Sidebar addons). I like how half the RAM is used up. Obligatory analog clock (why?! there's a perfectly good clock in the system tray!) and CPU tachometer included. Weather forecasting snow (:evil:), and a tiny puzzle. Including a slidey puzzle as a miniature desktop diversion isn't a new idea either. Apple did that 25 years ago in System 1.

Media Player 11 (12?) finally has a slimmed default interface. It still has a big Library view, if you want. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell the SRS WOW effects and equalizer are absent. (At least, I can't find them...)

The Legend of Sol-Tar is looking pretty shiny these days. (Another Apple tie-in: Susan Kare made a lot of the 80s Mac icons, and later made Windows 3.1 icons and the Solitaire cards we saw from 95 through XP.)

Paint got some well-needed attention. They added several new brushes, some dynamically stretchable clip art shapes, rulers, and a crop tool. Unfortunately, they thought it necessary to cram the ribbon interface from Office 2007 in there as well, and not give you the option of changing it back. Boo to that, Microsoft. At least it defaults to saving as PNG now, instead of BMP. The mspaint.exe executable from XP runs just fine, though it gives me an error when I tell it to save.

Here's your new brushes. The top row and the spray can are all from the old Paint. Finally, Paint has anti-aliased brushes!

Win7 </3 Celeron.

By default it wants to clump all the application windows into one taskbar button with no description. Instead when you click it, it generates thumbnails of all the applications under that group and display them in a pop-up window. Thankfully, it's really easy to make them behave like they should. (The way it was done from 95 through XP.)

:D They left Windows Classic in there! And it doesn't look like they slapped it together at the last second! They did try to hide it at the bottom of the Customize control panel, under "Accessibility Themes", though. Once you set the taskbar to classic mode and set the theme to Windows Classic, it really feels like Windows 2000.

Overall, I like it. It's reasonably fast (performed as I expected on my single-core "budget CPU from 2005" cheap compy), clean, and picked up on everything I've thrown at it from an AGP Radeon HD 2600 card to a Wacom tablet. Plus, it has the best marketing champaign ever backing it up: Vista. ("Vista sucks, wait for the next one." Sound familiar? :lol:)

Anyone else gotten in there and tried this sucker out? Anything you want a screenshot of?

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/ ... publi.html
Last edited by bicostp on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Installed it about 45 minutes ago. Running like a dream. I haven't really done too much, but I'm really liking it so far.

EDIT: It refuses to see my IDE drive. I have two drives in my computer, a 120GB IDE one with XP on it, and a 1TB one with Win7 and lots of data on it. 7 won't see the 120GB one. :?
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:46 pm

I was thinking about getting it 2 weeks ago when the 32-bit Build 7000 Beta was leaked but I wanted 64-bit.

I'm going to find the 64-bit version sometime soon and install that. There is a Public version of the 64-bit version, right? 32-bit sucks ass.

Currently running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Harshboy wrote:There is a Public version of the 64-bit version, right?
That's what I downloaded, since the 32 bit version kept stalling around 400 MB in. (I read they fixed that problem, though.)

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/ ... publi.html

Check the Wired link; they have direct links to the ISOs on Microsoft's download servers. (The comments have keys, too. However, you don't really need them if you just want to fart around with the system. It didn't require one to install, you're just limited to 30 days. And there's a rearm command that can be used a couple times to reset the 30 day countdown timer.) You really only need a key if you plan on running it through August, when the beta expires, or if you want to send feedback to MS.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Google'd it and found that link after posting my previous message.

I'm already at 55% Completed :D

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:35 pm

Cool, I was planning on re-installing windows soon, so I'm just gonna install windows 7 :wink:

official xbox fiend

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Currently burning to a DVD. Even got my serial from Microsoft good until August.

Does Windows 7 come out in August or something? I guess I'll just pirate it then and give the retail version a try.

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Harshboy wrote:
Does Windows 7 come out in August or something?
Before then I believe.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:38 pm

I think they're shooting for fall. But if Microsoft time is anything like Valve time, it might be out in time for New Year's.

EDIT:
Wikipedia wrote:Microsoft plans to release the final build of Windows 7 between July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010
That's a big release gap. Hopefully it will come out in the fall or around the holiday season.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:57 pm

Im running beta build 7000 as we speak. its pretty damn nice! and bic my base score on the experience index is only 3.7 (3.4 without OC) :lol:
system specs:
P4 2.53ghz northwood OCed to 2.85ghz (150mhz FSB)
2gb gskill ddr2-533ram@200mhz
radeon X1600PRO 512mb ICEQ
40gb hdd (win7)
160gb hdd (xp, as slave)
320gb external
I think they're shooting for fall. But if Microsoft time is anything like Valve time, it might be out in time for New Year's 2012.
fix'd :lol:

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:59 pm

I have 1 70 GB HD, that i partitioned into 2 sections. 1 section has WoW installed on it, and thats it. Can I install Windows 7 to it? It's got 17.2 gigs free. Will a bootloader automatically show up?

edit: why the hell did my download stop at 342mb. :cry:

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:03 pm

were you downloading the 32-bit version?

official xbox fiend

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Joes2Silly wrote:were you downloading the 32-bit version?
Ya which bic said they fixed.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:19 pm

I thought they fixed it... Have you tried their website? (Not the direct links people found.)

What's your processor? You might be able to run the 64 bit edition if it's less than a couple years old.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Im running a P4 2.79 GHz. Sadly, only 512ram. :lol: Each time i dload it, it gets farther.. and their site wont let you dload it in firefox. :?

edit: 512 :lol: not 516