Stupidest Reason for detention!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:08 am

Aguiluz wrote:LOL. Reminds me of when I tried copying down a Windows XP License key from those piece of crap school computers. Got a whole day off school.

I tried to reason it isn't stealing because I write it using my own paper and pencil and nothing is taken away.

The principal tried to tell me that it's like stealing a keyboard. She is going to give me a week-long suspension.

Then I reason that I am not taking any physical object. It's just copying.
I said copying something from public view is like copying notes on a blackboard which is in public view. Like copying the word "potato" in a supermarket.

After minutes of reasoning, I won and he lowered my punishment to just one day school detention. :lol:

See, if you reason it out so hard and counter their words, you'll eventually bend their thinking. :twisted:
It's not stealing, but it is piracy.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:08 am

If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.

You was caught doing something illegal, most likely against school rules and they caught you out. Bad luck son.

mmoshkowich
PSN Username:mikedacat

Post by mmoshkowich » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:43 am

Well Saturday detention does exist here and If I skip I am suspended. But what I am am saying is that I didn't original put those files there, they were already on the server I just copied them into another folder on the same server.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:05 am

Indeed, you COPIED them into another folder - you not only reproduced a copyrighted piece of software (breach of copyright) but then to make matters worse MADE IT AVAILABLE TO OTHERS (piracy and distribution).

Take your punishment and don't do it again!! :lol:

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:08 am

You should have started yelling that you were framed and how "the man" is trying to keep you down :wink:

official xbox fiend

mmoshkowich
PSN Username:mikedacat

Post by mmoshkowich » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:53 am

I know I gotta suck it up its so embarrising though.

Ex:
Hey why are you here?
I beat up some freshman
Why are you here?
I ditch class everday
Why are you here?
I wanted to play mario kart in school!

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:05 am

mmoshkowich wrote:I know I gotta suck it up its so embarrising though.

Ex:
Hey why are you here?
I beat up some freshman
Why are you here?
I ditch class everday
Why are you here?
I wanted to play mario kart in school!
That's not how you play it off! You hacked the school's network and ****ed with it.

On that note, my friend got suspended senior year for hacking into an SOL account.

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:35 am

The Sophmores in my school got busted for "FINDING" the schools Lunch server on the network. They Copied the content onto flash drives (and one person put it on his laptop), and changed the Lunch payment set-up. Many kids who got free lunch were now having to pay $2.25 for lunch, and a small group (possibly their friends) did not have to pay. i was not effected, i still had to pay :( but the punishment was simple...they got expelled, i don't agree with the school's punishment, but thy are gone. is that worth a detention? :?
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
SS I miss your old Profile Pictures :lol:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:44 am

that is great. They should've just bribed the teachers with free lunches and coffee

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:54 pm

sonic4freedom wrote:The Sophmores in my school got busted for "FINDING" the schools Lunch server on the network. They Copied the content onto flash drives (and one person put it on his laptop), and changed the Lunch payment set-up. Many kids who got free lunch were now having to pay $2.25 for lunch, and a small group (possibly their friends) did not have to pay. i was not effected, i still had to pay :( but the punishment was simple...they got expelled, i don't agree with the school's punishment, but thy are gone. is that worth a detention? :?
Editing school files? Thats easily worth expelling.

deviouskoopa

Post by deviouskoopa » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:12 pm

What ever happened to playing flash games online? That's all we did in high school... one kid got a 0 on his CAD assignment for playing Call of Duty on his computer, but he only got caught because it takes up the entire screen! It's also harder to minimize/hide full-screen games. Anyways, those were the days...

*reminisces*

deviouskoopa

Post by deviouskoopa » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:13 pm

sonic4freedom wrote:The Sophmores in my school got busted for "FINDING" the schools Lunch server on the network. They Copied the content onto flash drives (and one person put it on his laptop), and changed the Lunch payment set-up. Many kids who got free lunch were now having to pay $2.25 for lunch, and a small group (possibly their friends) did not have to pay. i was not effected, i still had to pay :( but the punishment was simple...they got expelled, i don't agree with the school's punishment, but thy are gone. is that worth a detention? :?
Hahaha easily. They tampered with prices and kids' money, including their own. That's like blatant stealing...

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Ya, you copied it, which is illegal. You can try and fight it though. (doubt you'll get anywhere)

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Breaking into the schools network and messing with things is pretty bad. But like most companies it's taking the wrong route. The best thing to do is let the kids know they did something wrong, like give them a week or two of detention. However encourage them to move forward in that field. A school punishing kids at that age, while it does send the message it's wrong to do it, it would also keep a kid from developing a talent they could use in life.

As for putting files in a share on the network... It's like getting busted by the RIAA/MPAA. They don't care how it got there, they don't care why, they just care about getting it away from people.

Word of advice, if you don't want something like that happening again, try changing the name of the folder and encrypting it with a password. If only you and your friends have the password, you're the only ones that know what the content is. Backup plan would be to run it off a flash drive, that works just as well.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:18 pm

We had the same problem with Halo at my school. It was the trial version for the computer and we had our computer instructor letting kids play it, then the school found out about it. Everyone who had the log was sent a letter in the mail saying that if they were caught doing it again they would be give a week of OSS. A bit on the harsh side if you ask me.