Stupidest Reason for detention!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

mmoshkowich
PSN Username:mikedacat
Stupidest Reason for detention!

Post by mmoshkowich » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 pm

It all started when some senior downloaded an N64 emulator on our schools shared folder. Only seniors knew were this folder were. I did a search and finally found this folder and made a copy of it. I told a bunch of my friends and people found out about this folder. One teacher saw this emulator and complained to the principle. So today I was sitting in my photoshop class when a call came me asking me to go to the assistant principles office. I got there and I saw a server log on his computer. He told me that I couldn't distribute roms because it was illegal and that Nintendo could sue him for this. I tried explaining that I didn't put them on the shared folder they were originally there I just made an extra copy. He didn't believe me and I got a Saturday detention. How crappy is that?

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:00 pm

Does your school have individual login names? Like, do you type your name for your username, then your password to log in? Tell them to right click the ROM file, go to properties, then there should be a tab like "Security" or "Permission" or something like that, and it says who created the file.

mmoshkowich

Post by mmoshkowich » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Yes and the seniors just got laptops and they cant track the user names and passwords so that's why I got called in.

DJ711
Location:Deep in the garage trying so very hard not to fry my N64. Oh! Also NY

Post by DJ711 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:21 pm

I understand we have the same but with Halo and other xbox games and sophmores get N64 roms. But that is a pretty stupid reason to get detention
I haven't been here in awhile, and looking back it's one of the worst ideas I ever had. I'm back and I'll be here for awhile, I was quite active 1 year ago and I hope to become that again.

mmoshkowich

Post by mmoshkowich » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:28 pm

I wouldn't care if it was a regular detention but I gotta wake up at 7:00 A.M on a SATARDAY! :evil: :evil:

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:02 pm

Just skip. AFAIK that is illegal anyway. Then again lots of things are weird in the US, so I wouldn't know.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Can they prove it was you?
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:11 pm

LOL. Reminds me of when I tried copying down a Windows XP License key from those piece of crap school computers. Got a whole day off school.

I tried to reason it isn't stealing because I write it using my own paper and pencil and nothing is taken away.

The principal tried to tell me that it's like stealing a keyboard. She is going to give me a week-long suspension.

Then I reason that I am not taking any physical object. It's just copying.
I said copying something from public view is like copying notes on a blackboard which is in public view. Like copying the word "potato" in a supermarket.

After minutes of reasoning, I won and he lowered my punishment to just one day school detention. :lol:

See, if you reason it out so hard and counter their words, you'll eventually bend their thinking. :twisted:

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:57 pm

someone downloaded Project 64 to my physics teacher's public folder. Don't remember what all was in there, but I do know Kirby 64 was one of them.

as for the whole detention thing, I never did get detention. Did get suspended once, though. got in a fight (which I won, by the way). Anyways, it was in-school suspension which is the gayest of the gay. Basically they make you sit at your desk and face the wall all day and you aren't allowed to say a word. I made the supervisor's life hell by explaining that she couldn't legally follow through with her threat of double our suspension if we slept.

palmertech

Re: Stupidest Reason for detention!

Post by palmertech » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:24 pm

mmoshkowich wrote:It all started when some senior downloaded an N64 emulator on our schools shared folder. Only seniors knew were this folder were. I did a search and finally found this folder and made a copy of it. I told a bunch of my friends and people found out about this folder. One teacher saw this emulator and complained to the principle. So today I was sitting in my photoshop class when a call came me asking me to go to the assistant principles office. I got there and I saw a server log on his computer. He told me that I couldn't distribute roms because it was illegal and that Nintendo could sue him for this. I tried explaining that I didn't put them on the shared folder they were originally there I just made an extra copy. He didn't believe me and I got a Saturday detention. How crappy is that?
Copying and distribution of ROMs IS illegal.

You may think that nobody ever gets caught, but do you know why? Money. It is too hard to prove in court that they are illegally obtained, and not worth it for Nintendo. Plus, most people do not have big bucks; What are they going to pay?

The public school system, in comparison, has quite a bit of money, and I can see where it is possible you would at least get a cease and desist if Nintendo found out somehow.

Bottom line, what you did WAS illegal, and regardless of the complicated ethics of ROMs, I think it it perfectly reasonable you got grounded.

Don't do illegal things on other peoples computers, simple as that.

Excellent

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:41 pm

If I recall, you cant have a detention on a saturday. Legally, schools dont run on weekends (unless they are catholic, sometimes.). They cant force you to come in on Saturday.

Skip and say "Oh, I went there but the doors were locked so I went home"

Also, its NOT your fault that the school doesnt have proper security and tracking methods. Its the schools fault for letting the seniors hook up laptops too the network without a username and password. You can easily fight this.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:53 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:If I recall, you cant have a detention on a saturday. Legally, schools dont run on weekends (unless they are catholic, sometimes.). They cant force you to come in on Saturday.

Skip and say "Oh, I went there but the doors were locked so I went home"
Maybe in your hometown. Saturday school detentions are quite common, as such rules are determined by school district.

You can either fight the system and complain about it, or just take the 5 hours out of your Saturday and get on with your life, your choice. :P

RockNRoll!

Post by RockNRoll! » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 am

You did something illegal and got busted, they caught you fair and square.

One time when my class (which was around 30 people with computers) had a substitute teacher, we all copied Unreal Turnament to every computer and played it all class period without getting caught because the teacher was flippin stupid. Eventually the district noticed because we were using so much bandwidth but nobody got in trouble because there were too many people playing to punish :P

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:26 am

mmoshkowich - Technically you were involved in supply of the details, so you were naughty! See it from the school's point - 1) you made enough people aware that you got caught 2) the school has to be transparent and take action or they can get massive fines 3) the seniors are clever enough not to get caught, you were the soft target.

SpongeBuell

Re: Stupidest Reason for detention!

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:37 am

mmoshkowich wrote:It all started when some senior downloaded an N64 emulator on our school's shared folder. Only seniors knew where this folder <s>were</s> was. I did a search and finally found this folder and made a copy of it. I told a bunch of my friends and people found out about this folder. One teacher saw this emulator and complained to the <s>principle</s> principal. So today I was sitting in my photoshop class when a call came me asking me to go to the assistant <s>principles</s> principal's office. I got there and I saw a server log on his computer. He told me that I couldn't distribute roms because it was illegal and that Nintendo could sue him for this. I tried explaining that I didn't put them on the shared folder they were originally there I just made an extra copy. He didn't believe me and I got a Saturday detention. How crappy is that?
Maybe you need to use that detention to study up on things, anyway ;)

In all seriousness, you were messing around with a timebomb... crappy as it is, as soon as you touch it you put yourself at risk.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.