How would one get into making military weapons?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ValiantVenality
Portablizer
How would one get into making military weapons?

Post by ValiantVenality » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Hey there! People have been asking me my whole life what i want to do when i grow up ( Im 14 ) and I think I know what I want to do. I watched Iron Man and I think it would be cool to make weapons and stuff. No I dont want to make made up things like Iron man ( even though that would be really cool ). But I have no idea where to start! What college would be good to go to? What kind of stuff should I start learning about? Thanks for all of your help! ( If you do help! )

VV

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:20 pm

You could either develop for the government directly, or for a 3rd party like Lockheed Martin or something.

Either way, you're going to want schooling in Engineering and Electronics.
Lots of science; physics and chemistry especially, and lots of upper-level math; Calculus and Trig, etc.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:49 pm

After reading the topic title, the first thought that popped into my head was: Join the military. :lol:

SS

EDIT: Changed "pooped" into "popped" :lol:
Last edited by ShockSlayer on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:26 pm

There's many ways to do what you're trying. I recently interned for the US Army for a few semesters doing software development work on the M109A6 Paladin. I must say it was a great experience. Here are my tips:
Become an engineer. It doesn't matter what field, since the government has projects that encompass everything. My top recommendations would be electrical, computer (me), or mechanical, depending on your interests.

After that, it's just a matter of applying for jobs. As jjhammerstein said, there's a few methods. You could work directly for the government. You could also work for a contracting company that basically hires out employees to work on government installations (and elsewhere) alongside government employees. A couple that I know of are Decilog, UTRS, and HPTI. Finally, you could work for a large defense contractor, such as Lockheed or BAE, where basically they get a contract and do the majority of the work on their own. If you do well you shouldn't have a problem, the most important things are the desire to work and the ability to learn.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:15 am

Build a 2 to 3 stage coil gun.

Excellent learning experience for electronics in general, as well.

Excellent

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:03 pm

Yeah just go into engineering feilds, like electrical or mechanical. For schools, its better to go into schools with established coop programs. This allows you to get valuable experience that the military looks for. Just do well in school, work on your math and science, and don't burn out in college.
I actually would like to go into military contracting. Or Construction. I'm not even in college yet through, so I still have four years to decide (I still don't even know if I want civil or mechanical engy.)
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

DonJosePancioa

Re: How would one get into making military weapons?

Post by DonJosePancioa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Since I was 15 my dream was to become an Civil/Architect Engineer 'coz I want to build my own dream house but I finished IT. LOL!
They that will not be counseled, cannot be helped. If you do not hear reason she will rap you on the knuckles and it sting like a brass knuckle.

palmertech

Re: How would one get into making military weapons?

Post by palmertech » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:00 pm

LOL!

Excellent