Need help finding a digital camera

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Shadeslayer
Need help finding a digital camera

Post by Shadeslayer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:25 pm

Hey everyone,
My parents are getting me a digital camera for Christmas. I have been looking on newegg.com and need to know if anyone could recommend a camera. I am looking for at least 8 megapixel. Also I want the ability to take very close shots that are great quality.

Other features that I would love but are not necessarily mandatory are video, sound record, and SD card compatibility. My parents do not want spend more than $200 US. The cheaper the better.

I had talked to a guy from wal-mart and he had mentioned a powershot. Anyone have one? How about coolpix? Anyway thanks to everyone that can help.

Merry Christmas!
Shadeslayer
Death from my Desk

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:35 pm

We have an old-ish Powershot A80, got it in 2003. It's more than enough for we need at 4 megapixels. (4 MP is about as low as you want to go if you plan on printing 8x10s. Anything more and you'll see pixellation on the print.) I recommend a PowerShot.

Look at the optics more than the resolution. Look at the optical zoom, since digital zoom is garbage. A 6 megapixel camera with decent optics will give you more versatility and better pictures than an 8 megapixel flat camera with a 1/4" lens barrel. Also look to find a camera that can accept add-on lenses. Not just the cheap plastic things that slip on the end of the lens; the kind that attach directly to the camera chassis and let you add lenses for long zooms, macro shots, wide angle shots, etc.

Shadeslayer

Post by Shadeslayer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:49 pm

Bic,
you always seem to know everything about everything lol. The guy at walmart had a powershot A470 and showed me a lot about it. It can really zoom in to small items with great quality. Its only 7.1MP though.
Death from my Desk

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:23 pm

Ehh... That one would be okay, but I think you'll be happier with the A590. The 470 is really stripped for features, and was introduced as the bottom of the line, entry level camera. You can do better, especially on a $200 budget.

$120 on sale at Circuit City.

8 MP resolution
Takes SD and SDHC cards
Runs off regular AA batteries (an indispensable feature, in my opinion. AAs are cheap, they have rechargeable versions, you don't have to worry about your camera's battery being discontinued, and you can always find some in a pinch on vacation.)
4x optical zoom
Optical image stabilization and face detection for feature junkies

Review (with pictures taken with the camera):
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/defa ... ewsID=3348

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:33 pm

Ew bic. Noo.

Go get a 10 MP General Electric digital camera for like $100. www.tigerdirect.com

Also, most teenagers and photonoobs fail to recognize. For a professional (and non professional) photographer a 4mp mp camera is no different than a 10mp.

Want to know why?

Because, I doubt anyone (not even most professional photographers) enlarge images beyond the size of a regular peice of paper.

Now, a 4MP camera can do that with no pixelation. Why waste money on a 10mp camera? Unless your going to be blowing an image up to an insane size, your wasting money.

I know this why? I do some amature photography. I was told this by a professional photographer, and by various teachers and books.

<3

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:21 pm

I'm a fan of Canons as well. I agree with bic - the Powershot A590 is probably good for what you're looking for. I recently got a SX10 IS, which is a little out of your price range but very nice.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:45 pm

Also a Canon fan. Been with them since (and before) the switch to digital photography. Since then, we've had to go through two cameras - because one was stolen.

Get a Powershot and you will NOT be disappointed. Mind you, there is a nagging battery meter when you use Ni-MH, but it's nothing to worry about.
Hey, sup?

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:52 pm

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT (8MP), works nice, haven't checked the price tag lately though.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:03 am

i have a sony cybershot H7 that is a very nice camera, i can take really close macro pics with it too

DK

Post by DK » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:25 am

Whats everyone's obsession with huge amounts of pixels. My Nikon D1X is still used by por's and it's only 6MP. All you need really unless you want to print larger than A3.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:59 am

He definitely needs a Canon 5D MkII :lol:

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:03 pm

DK wrote:Whats everyone's obsession with huge amounts of pixels. My Nikon D1X is still used by por's and it's only 6MP. All you need really unless you want to print larger than A3.
I'm not obsessing over pixels. I like my SX10 IS because it has a 20x optical zoom which is quite awesome for closeups and taking pictures of small things. I agree that there's a point where more pixels aren't really necessary and that the optics are the more important part.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:50 pm

I disagree.

You can have a 10Mp camera with 6x optical zoom and 10x digital zoom, and that would be the same as a 3Mp camera with 15x optical zoom, and still yield a similar or higher-quality picture.

I know digital zoom isn't exactly true zoom, I personally never use digital zoom. But in a crunch, getting a 7Mp camera with 6x zoom is better than a 4Mp camera with 6x zoom.
Hey, sup?

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Well if cost wasn't as much of an issue, the G10 kicks ass 8)

Yeah, I'm a Canon fan as well, my first camera was the Canon S100. I have a SD1000 these days, and it's quite awesome as well. For you, I would highly recommend the SD1100 IS. The macro settings on it are quite amazing, the only sacrifice you make with it is lack of optical zoom (3x). At $150, it fits all of your criteria, 8.3MP, full resolution video capture (with sound), and it's SD capable. I bought one for my best friend for her birthday, it's an awesome camera.
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

Shadeslayer

Post by Shadeslayer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:59 pm

Well My dad has agreed to buy me an A590 from Canon. Sounds good to me. I will let you all know how it is.