"When you grow up?"

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

khaag
"When you grow up?"

Post by khaag » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:40 am

What do you all plan on for your careers? Or if you already have your career, what is it?

I think I want to be a web developer/graphic designer. I plan on taking my Bachelor of Computer Science and then taking a diploma course in graphic design.
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:44 am

I'll be an engineer.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:49 am

Much to my dad's disappointment, I never really had any plans for when I grow up. I did go to Uni and get a Bachelor's in music, but only because it was expected of me. Now, I'm a Church Musician, which was always one of the things I NEVER wanted to do. I'm still not sure what I'd rather be doing, though.

I will never understand why everything HAS to be a career decision. What's wrong with 9 to 5 at some local store if it's enough to live off? Especially if you get time off, which is something this damned "career" job doesn't have.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:58 am

I don't know. Probably an EE, preferably a Master's with a minor in biology.

As to Tibia's "9 to 5" comment, sometimes you just want something more for yourself. It could be a better paying job, or a job that more closely fits your interests, and is thus less of a drag.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:05 am

Tibia wrote:What's wrong with 9 to 5 at some local store if it's enough to live off? Especially if you get time off
That is certainly true when you get older; you then tend to fall into three main camps - 1) you have to keep earning lots of cash (eg lots of kids to support) 2) your nature is very competitive and your interest is work not play 3) you earnt enough to pay off your mortgage, bringing in enough with a (lower) paid job to cover fun and also expenses and prefer more time off (eg my situtation).

When you are young however, you must reach for the stars and earn as much money and position as you can, to make life easier when you get older. I am however middle-aged, and could afford to get off the track a few years back. My current job pays fine and works on a 10 day rotating shift pattern, 6 days working long shifts and 4 days off - ideal for project working!! :D

DK

Post by DK » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:15 am

Guessing by my Uni course, some sort of biologist. Maybe Ecology with all this paranoia about global warming.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:20 am

bacteria, what do you work as?

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:40 am

I am going to do something in the field of electrical engineering. Got my acceptance letter from Arizona State University a couple months ago. I am also planning on continuing learning japanese as I have been taking 4 years of it already.

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:30 am

I want to be alive...
Or a millionaire doing anything even if I hate my job

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:08 pm

When I grow up I want to grow back down.

Seriously, there's so many things I've wanted to do that I haven't been able to do because I wasn't "grown up" enough. (ie I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO DO THEM). Of course, without these dreams to look forward to, life would be a drag. So, when I grow up, I want to have enough money to achieve some of my dreams, but not enough to experiment with them all.

Job-wise, I want to work in research and development, improving tools and such and creating new ones where there's a need.

I'm not 100% on which kind of engineering I want to go in to, but I still have three months or so to decide, and, let's face it, you can't decide until you start in it, and I can always switch streams if I so desire. Right now, I'm thinking materials engineering, based on the courses it makes me take. Mostly chemistry, and some physics.
Hey, sup?

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:19 pm

I don't know what I want to be when I grow up...Maybe I'll ask my daughter.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

LaneMichael

Post by LaneMichael » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:30 pm

air force baby good pay free housing and easy job plenty of time off also

Jimmyg1995

Post by Jimmyg1995 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Im 13 so i got a while. PRO CORNERBACK BABY (FOOTBALL [AMERICAN STYLE] for those who don't know about amercan football)! OR A SHOOTIN GAURD (BASKETBALL [ AMERICAN STYLE]) Or a video game designer.
Image <---- Help me win and fund my first portable.

SJp Needed List
SJ 3 ($15 - $30)
Portable TV ($20 - $30)
Batteries (?)

Arrow-->

Post by Arrow--> » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:22 pm

i want to sleep

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Software Engineer / Computer Programmer

(That's very general, but for a dream Job I would want to work for Blizzard or Google)

Right now I'm a Junior so I'm already looking at potential colleges and I found two of high interest and a few more...

I'll probably be attending Penn State (Erie or Main Campus) or RIT. I have to get accepted first, but my GPA of 3.6 should be enough to get me in. Penn State Erie has like a 80% Acceptance rate and my GPA is above their max average of 3.4 or something, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue to get in.

The only thing worrying me is financial issues, Penn State is $20,000 a year for everything and $13,000 for just the courses. At that rate, I already have enough saved for 1-1.5 years, but I'm going to take on some debt (Obviously).

Already took the PSAT and I'm waiting for my results, I'm guessing I will take the SAT in the Spring, or maybe I am supposed to wait until next year? I dunno, didn't look into it too much yet.