Discuss New Xbox X-Perience

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

benheck
Site Admin
Discuss New Xbox X-Perience

Post by benheck » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:56 am

That's what I think they should have called it. Anyway, discuss below!

-Ben

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:00 am

I can't figure out how to change the theme. :lol: Image
Skyone wrote:
typamc95 wrote:There called Roto-disc.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Roto-Disc
Game, set, match!

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:22 am

WAAAAAAY too many ads.

Other than that it is alright, the only reason I care for it is because of the Party features and the Ability to install games, though if you are like me and have a 20GB HDD and have cleaned all music and demos off your HDD, you can install only 1 game.

The load times are much more faster when playing from the HDD, than from the disc, but I heard Halo 3 actually has longer load times :? (bungie can't program for crap if that is true)

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:25 am

Seeing as I'm sick and all *cough* *cough* I stayed home today and updated to the new Dashboard seeing as you can't play on Live without it and we all know Xbox is no fun without Live.

To change the theme you just go to the My Xbox "Channel" go to the box with your avatar, Press A, then select Change Theme.

It aint bad, I don't really like the menu setup though, and the Avatars are kinda lame but whatever.

The best feature is ripping games to the hard drive. Finally, owning an Elite is justified.

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:16 am

I'll play around with it more tonight, but my initial thought is "way too much crap"

The Avatars are fun, and I'm curious to see how functional the "guide" display is within game. I found the in-game XMB for PS3 to be quite worthless since you can't do anything of use without exiting.

-Bem

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:47 am

benheck wrote:I'll play around with it more tonight, but my initial thought is "way too much crap"

The Avatars are fun, and I'm curious to see how functional the "guide" display is within game. I found the in-game XMB for PS3 to be quite worthless since you can't do anything of use without exiting.

-Bem
Yes, I agree. Pretty much every Channel except the My Xbox Channel is useless and nothing but ads.

Avatars are fun to make but I think it's just kinda lame that M$ copied the Wii (Even though they say they didn't, I don't believe them)

The In-game Guide is actually better. You can launch a game from within a game and it is much more responsive than before.

vomitsaw

Post by vomitsaw » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:48 pm

I nearly barfed at the whole avatar thing. It's a freakin' 360, dammit! If I wanted to watch some little overly happy turd dance around my dashboard like a clown on Prozac (and I don't), I'd dust off the Wii.

Other than that I suppose it's alright.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm going to give it a resounding "meh".

I'm actually finding it dissapointing, I own the 20gb and I don't find it a decent use of space and I can't justify spending 100 on a 120gb hard drive. Otherwise it's ok I suppose. The avatars just don't cut it for me. I never liked the Wii's and now it's going to give my friends more time to waste when we should be playing Gears 2 on horde. "oh I want to make one!" No you don't now play this game, you wiitard.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:11 pm

benheck wrote: -Bem
:lol:

my friends say that they don't like it, I don't own a 360.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:31 pm

yeahLooks and setup? Complete garbage.

Features? Game installation, Party Chat, and Netflix streaming? Which could have all been implemented into the Blades Dashboard.

Valium

Post by Valium » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:35 pm

I don't care either way, not like it matters what I look at before playing my game.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:40 pm

Does the new "experience" have those like free trivia games in it, that they promised?

NES

Post by NES » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:48 pm

I dont want it, the whole XII (WII+xbox=XII)thing makes me not want to turn it on
is it possible to change it back?
And whats this installing games on the HD?
Still need the disk?
-Or shorter loading times on games like GTA-I hate waiting 2 minutes to play

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:17 pm

I don't think it's that bad. It'll take a little getting used to, but I don't see it as any better or worse than the previous one, as far as looks. A lot of the new features look sweet, but I'm not sure how much I'll make use of them all.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:35 pm

Well I must say, installing games is awesome. Fallout 3 installed in about 5 minutes, and you IMMEDIATELY notice how quiet the 360 is when it's not running the 60-zillion RPM DVD drive. That's better than any perceived/real load time differences.

Have any of you ever ran a 360 DVD drive with the lid off? It's scary how fast it spins.

Yeah most of the panels, whatever, are a bunch of ads and crap but really cool stuff I've noticed thus far:

1) Checking Achievements in-game (though like XMB on PS3 the in-game menu is somewhat limited) Also browsing achievements in the dashboard is slick as snot and twice as handsome, compete with "progess bars" showing amount of achievements per game.

2) Stupidly easy media sharing. If you have Zune software on a PC you can access to everything, much easier than Windows Media Center actually. It just works.

3) Avatars are fun but indeed, a total Wii ripoff. I guess it has the cheesy crap people like on the Wii but with an added bonus - it's a real console with great online and the best games!

Lame stuff:

1) "Targeted" items on left. I mean, it works, but why not have the panels rotate with the target in the center? As-is, you can only see what's to the right, not the left. Also once at either end you can't "roll over" to the other end.

2) Friends sorting. Seeing Avatars as parties is cool, but scrolling through them is tedious (text list is faster) Maybe it's my fault for having 93 friends and never playing online.