Pirating = Stealing

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:LOL nice one...

The gaming industry deserves to survive, but the music and movie industry doesn't!
Ehh, most of those guys are crazy Commie bastards anyways. All we're doing is practicing their theory. They have a lot of money, we've got none... :lol:

Anyways, I'd just go based on morality. If I were to be someone who pirated games, I'd have no moral qualms about emulating, say, a copy of King of Fighters. Really, it's ancient, and I've paid for it at least three times at this point. If I were to do this, is it technically illegal? Because of DRM, yeah, it is, but I don't feel bad about it. Would I pirate a new game for my computer, 360, or Wii? Absolutely not. I don't care how you people try to justify yourselves, but you're stealing someone else's hard work. I tell my friends who pirate all the time that I'd love to see the day when every major developer pulls out of the platform and lets it bleed to death because of the sales they're losing from illegal downloads. And besides, if you don't have $60 (or less, mind you) to plunk down on a new game, you really should be doing other things, like... making money?

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Hey dont feel sorry for them
now on their 16 million dollar a year contract they cant afford a 6th rolls royce
Or 3rd house

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 pm

OK, ok, ok. Enough.

From what I've read apparently we've all pirated at one point. If you haven't, and you don't want to, fine. But people will pirate, and more importantly people either will care, or they won't care.

Choose your side.

Piracy:
If you care you are against it.
If you don't care you are for it.

So stop the chastening and arguing and furthermore flaming, and get over it. You've chosen your side(or whatever denomination you want, I swear this is like religeon to some people), now get on with your life.

While they may be within the rules, I cannot stand these kinds of topics. If I were a mod, I would have locked this by now.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:27 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:While they may be within the rules, I cannot stand these kinds of topics. If I were a mod, I would have locked this by now.

SS
INB4LOCK!!1!!1
CTF wrote:I'd have no moral qualms about emulating, say, a copy of King of Fighters. Really, it's ancient, and I've paid for it at least three times at this point.
Plus the manufacturers have moved on, they are not producing anything like that anymore. So it's not hurting their profits.

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:04 pm

Im on I dont care, and dont do it on purpose
Its inbetween the two options

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:29 am

Jongamer wrote:I'm sorry no software should come close to costing $600+
You can't say that. That's like saying a Humvy shouldn't cost $100,000 because it's just another car, so it should cost only $30,000.

Software differs in cost mostly based on demand. But you have to keep in mind that the cost of development, the time it takes and to an extent the shipping. The first and second on stuff like Abobe's produces or Apple's Final Cut Pro, take months, with likely a huge team of people all working. Now is it fair to say that those products are not worth the time and effort those people and their company invested into it?

CTF have a very valid point. Downloading or emulating a rom or piece of software that you've bought in the past, or the company no longer supports isn't morally wrong. The latter is like you picking up a car that has been abandoned on the side of a road, it's been sitting there for months or years, and you know the owner doesn't care nor want it. So I don't see a problem is having it towed away so I can use/fix it up.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:34 am

ShockSlayer wrote:While they may be within the rules, I cannot stand these kinds of topics. If I were a mod, I would have locked this by now.

SS
Well you're not. :lol:

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:01 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Well you're not. :lol:
I'd say ZING!, but I don't know the proper formatting of the word! :cry:

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Or:

ZING!!!
SonyPortableizer wrote:Hey dont feel sorry for them
now on their 16 million dollar a year contract they cant afford a 6th rolls royce
Or 3rd house
So you can't afford it, but you're entitled to it anyway?
Last edited by bicostp on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrTroy
360 GamerTag:Kizler

Post by MrTroy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:43 pm

I don't understand the "It's not worth $600+" argument... if it's not... there are FREE image editing programs... there are FREE video editing programs.... there are FREE OS's.

You want the $600+ program because other people tell you to use it... admit it. :)

And this...
Confusing? I thought so...

Let me put this into perspective:

$1800/One time Computer Purchase
$20/year Newsleecher Purchase
$21/One time WinRAR Purchase
$60/month to Access the Internet (Fastest Package)
$15/month to Download Unlimited Files (Usenet
)
$0.18/per CD-R Media (Average)
$0.25/per DVD-R Media (Average)
$0.95/per DVD+R DL Media (Average)
Put the biggest smile on my face... I mean I'm still smiling about that.

For me?

$350 One time computer purchase hooked right up to the TV I already own.
$33 Internet access (part of my cable package which I keep renewing)
$0.05 DVD-R (Where do you get a quarter from?) If you can go out of your way to pirate a game... you will go out of your way to pay as little as possible for a DVD. Heck you can even get CDRs free from most stores. I've haven't paid for a pack of CDs in YEARS.

Anyone can inflate the numbers to get their point across.

$2,000 One time cost. I haff to pirate as fast as possible.
$120 T3 line. I haff to pirate as fast as possible.
$1.35 Each DVD. I haff to pirate as fast as possible, so I run to the CVS at the corner.

I can't even exaggerate the costs of buying unrar'ing and torrent prices. Cause I didn't even know you had to pay for those.

Come on people. I don't understand what the argument even is. If you pirate... you know you're stealing. Chances are.... unless you're stealing the latest and greatest no one will care... cept Rekarp... he's on a crusade it seems.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:04 pm

MrTroy wrote:I don't understand the "It's not worth $600+" argument... if it's not... there are FREE image editing programs... there are FREE video editing programs.... there are FREE OS's.

You want the $600+ program because other people tell you to use it... admit it. :)

And this...
Confusing? I thought so...

Let me put this into perspective:

$1800/One time Computer Purchase
$20/year Newsleecher Purchase
$21/One time WinRAR Purchase
$60/month to Access the Internet (Fastest Package)
$15/month to Download Unlimited Files (Usenet
)
$0.18/per CD-R Media (Average)
$0.25/per DVD-R Media (Average)
$0.95/per DVD+R DL Media (Average)
Put the biggest smile on my face... I mean I'm still smiling about that.

For me?

$350 One time computer purchase hooked right up to the TV I already own.
$33 Internet access (part of my cable package which I keep renewing)
$0.05 DVD-R (Where do you get a quarter from?) If you can go out of your way to pirate a game... you will go out of your way to pay as little as possible for a DVD. Heck you can even get CDRs free from most stores. I've haven't paid for a pack of CDs in YEARS.
Some of us like to be able to play games in high detail. Your cheap PC is hooked up to a TV so I can already tell your experience is lame. You're right, I don't need the fastest High Speed Internet, but since I have a family that uses the internet, I use the internet, my Game Systems use the internet, all my crap uses the internet, the neighbors probably even use the internet. I like things fast, I HAVE NO PATIENCE. Oh, and I buy quality media like Verbatim and Ritek/Ridata, even Taiyo Yuden on occasion, not some cheap ass barf. If I pirate something I want to make sure I can install it after I pirate the latest OS, so I need some good Media. Oh, and personally I don't use CD-Rs cause music is kinda lame, I only pirate big and expensive software and games.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:16 pm

If EA went bankrupt tomorrow due to piracy who would really care?

Todays games are so sucky they arent even worth their inflated price.

MrTroy
360 GamerTag:Kizler

Post by MrTroy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Harshboy wrote:
Some of us like to be able to play games in high detail. Your cheap PC is hooked up to a TV so I can already tell your experience is lame. You're right, I don't need the fastest High Speed Internet, but since I have a family that uses the internet, I use the internet, my Game Systems use the internet, all my crap uses the internet, the neighbors probably even use the internet. I like things fast, I HAVE NO PATIENCE. Oh, and I buy quality media like Verbatim and Ritek/Ridata, even Taiyo Yuden on occasion, not some cheap ass barf. If I pirate something I want to make sure I can install it after I pirate the latest OS, so I need some good Media. Oh, and personally I don't use CD-Rs cause music is kinda lame, I only pirate big and expensive software and games.
You know what? I'm stupid. I never once considered that you ment pirating PC games. Once I saw "DVD" I automatically thought of console games. If you mean PC games... doesn't burning software now have Fake Disk and Image Drives built in to them now?
If EA went bankrupt tomorrow due to piracy who would really care?

Me personally? Yeah I would. I'm not into gaming as much as I use to be but when huge companies fold up.. things tend to trickle down and hit smaller companies soon after.

Honestly enough though. If today's games are so "sucky" why do people even bother to pirate them to play them?

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:05 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:If EA went bankrupt tomorrow due to piracy who would really care?

Which is the reason I only play classic games.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:If EA went bankrupt tomorrow due to piracy who would really care?

Seriously, can you do anything besides troll? EA has brought us a few good games, and a whole lot of crappy ones. That's generally accepted. Today's games are tomorrow's classics, no?