Circuit City Files for Bankrupcy, Good Holiday Deals?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:38 pm

@HBN: To quote my upbringing:

If you can't post anything nice, then dont post anything at all.

Personally, I thought you were an okay member and all, but I seriously dont hink we need any comments like that. Ah, well.

@CTF: I enjoy watching you tear apart poeple and all, but it does harvest negative emotions within.[/drphil]

I'd hope that you walk into these situations with no previous incident-caused biases about other people. But I don't know.

INB4LOCKFOBLOGZ? :P

So, I think there is a circuit city somewhere in my state... Just dont take mah Ratshack and I'm fine.

SS

EDIT: CTF stands for Children Tumor Foundation and HBN stands for Hellenic Buisness Network. I'm serious. Google it. :lol:

PagebreaK WOO.
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:48 pm

bicostp wrote:But why are they in this position in the first place? Probably because idiot consumers think Best Buy's name is the truth and they're getting an equivalent, cutting-edge product at Wal-Mart. :roll:
I don't go to CC because I got sick of having to interrupt a couple of 'employees' who are too busy playing with laptops or jamming on plastic drums to offer assistance. I NEVER have that problem at BB, and they even greet me when I walk in the door. :D

If you have no customer service, you have no advantage over BB, WalMart or any online stores. I feel for the employees who are losing their jobs, but CC screwed up when they got rid of all of their experienced employees and replaced them wiith untrained minimum-wagers, and have been circling the bowl since.

If I know exactly what I want to buy, and I know CC has it cheaper than BB, and I need the instant gratification of having it RIGHT NOW (usually a movie or game) I'll get it there and leave. Otherwise, CC does nothing for me and they won't be missed.

And every CC smells like BO when you first walk in the door. What IS that?

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:59 pm

jperryss wrote:And every CC smells like BO when you first walk in the door. What IS that?
Untrained minimum wagers? :P
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:16 pm

The Circuit City near us is closing. I would go there about as frequently as our Best Buy (which is across the street. :roll: It's like McDonald's and Burger King) mainly for games, movies, or various computer stuff that I needed quickly (just about all computery stuff can be bought online for cheaper). Sad that it's closing, but hopefully they'll be able to keep their company going. A friend of mine recently quit Circuit City and started to work at Best Buy, where he does the same exact thing, but gets paid $15/hr instead of $10. Whatever though, both places seem to have employees with absolutely zero knowledge of what they're selling you.

EDIT: typos
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:40 pm

HBN wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:
Mario wrote:Wait a minute... How are you affording internet service? :?
THANK YOU! If you can't eat, you probably shouldn't be running up the bill with internet access. If the access point isn't yours, you should probably be working instead of screwing around here.
I don't pay for the internet, so its not my issue. The service is paid by my parents. I just use it.

I'm trying to find a good job. But this is Michigan we're talking about. Not just that but the freaking BOONIES. Otisville... Otter Lake. Barely big enough to be put on the map. The nearest "Decent" jobs are 50+miles away (And they aren't hiring). All the near by places don't need any more employees.

Trust me, I am looking. And yeah, Triton, I'm begging. So whats wrong with that? I'm trying to take care of my family. I'll do anything I have to. I have no shame about it either. That's my job.
Hey, I live in the Michigan backwoods too. It's bad, but it's not that bad.
ShockSlayer wrote: @CTF: I enjoy watching you tear apart poeple and all, but it does harvest negative emotions within.[/drphil]

I'd hope that you walk into these situations with no previous incident-caused biases about other people. But I don't know.
Haha, I am here to entertain. :lol: But yeah, I argue completely on a post-by-post basis, I'm not really the type for vendettas. Actually, I guess me and HBN didn't get along when he originally signed up, then he left, and returned. He PM'd me for some reason mentioning the fact that I used to hate him, and I literally said, "I did?" :P Again, just saying that I'm not looking for trouble, but if you're going to tear apart a comment I made that was more in a joking manner than anything else, expect verbal backlash is all.

And yeah, I'm gonna swing by my local Circuit City tomorrow after school and see what's going on there, hopefully the clearance deals have started. Really is a shame, though, I always did like them over Best Buy, they had cool deals and were the type to leave ancient stuff on the shelves for kicks.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:46 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Haha, I am here to entertain. :lol:
Oh really? Then that title under your name should be Moderator/Entertainer.

Didn't we have a thread about that recently :lol:

*dies of laughing*

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:49 pm

HBN wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:
Mario wrote:Wait a minute... How are you affording internet service? :?
THANK YOU! If you can't eat, you probably shouldn't be running up the bill with internet access. If the access point isn't yours, you should probably be working instead of screwing around here.
I don't pay for the internet, so its not my issue. The service is paid by my parents. I just use it.

I'm trying to find a good job. But this is Michigan we're talking about. Not just that but the freaking BOONIES. Otisville... Otter Lake. Barely big enough to be put on the map. The nearest "Decent" jobs are 50+miles away (And they aren't hiring). All the near by places don't need any more employees.

Trust me, I am looking. And yeah, Triton, I'm begging. So whats wrong with that? I'm trying to take care of my family. I'll do anything I have to. I have no shame about it either. That's my job.
"Decent" jobs? Does it really matter what kinds of jobs you have access to? If there are "indecent" jobs near you, why don't you get a job there? Some money is better than none.

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:58 pm

It's not like BB is lame, I just never go there.

Here's what I've bought from CC just in the last year:

New laptop, several Xboxes, several games, CRT television for arcade machine, several Xbox Cameras, 6 LCD screens, my iPod touch, my HDTV.

So any major purchase I always hit CC. Only stuff I'll get at BB is games and I think my laptop bag. Oh and a LCD monitor for that Pelican Xbox.

The fact the employees don't bother you is what I like about CC. Although like BB they "prey" on older couples (and won't help younger people) because they know they can sell them more worthless crap.

Also, when I bought my TV I had a hard time finding a person to help, but once I did, 3 of them swarmed me. I guess money talks.

-Ben

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:01 pm

benheck wrote:New laptop, several Xboxes, several games, CRT television for arcade machine, several Xbox Cameras, 6 LCD screens, my iPod touch, my HDTV.
Got a new project you'd care to tell us about? :wink:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:52 pm

benheck wrote:The fact the employees don't bother you is what I like about CC. Although like BB they "prey" on older couples (and won't help younger people) because they know they can sell them more worthless crap.
I once let a BB employee talk me into a cheap wifi card, I ended up going back a few days later to exchange it for one that cost 10 bucks more but worked 10x better. Now, the only time I communicate with employees at tech stores is to ask where something is.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:12 pm

vskid wrote:
benheck wrote:The fact the employees don't bother you is what I like about CC. Although like BB they "prey" on older couples (and won't help younger people) because they know they can sell them more worthless crap.
I once let a BB employee talk me into a cheap wifi card, I ended up going back a few days later to exchange it for one that cost 10 bucks more but worked 10x better. Now, the only time I communicate with employees at tech stores is to ask where something is.
Same here. I used to go to BestBuy a lot because I had friends that worked there, but they've all gotten better jobs or have gone off to college now, so I've started using CC more often. I gotta say, though, as fun as it is messing around in brick and mortar stores, Newegg's still got my vote.

Plus we just had a Microcenter open up by the community college I go to at night, so I've gone there a lot as of late. It's like, the best store ever. :lol:

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Well I'm late to the discussion as usual... no surprise there.

I think CC is ok at best. They're not real winner in my book but their a big step up from Best Buy. And like everyone has said I do like the fact that you don't have employees bug you when you walk in. I like to go in look for what I'm there for, ask a question if I have one and then leave. That and when I feel they have good deals on DVD movies I'll go there and buy a few.

If Circuit City were to go under by me that means that the closest computer/electronics store I can go to and expect good pricing and service is half an hour's drive away. It's kind of like CompUSA I like to go to every now and then. They have good sales on stuff and so I'd go and pick up one or two.

And yeah CTF is right places like Newegg are still the kings of pricing. It's hard if not impossible to compete with them. They simply don't have hundreds of stores to support.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:37 pm

HBN wrote: (And they aren't hiring)
move to williston, North Dakota or Dickinson I'm sure you could work as many parttime or fulltime jobs as you would like :D Oilboom :D

And we have no electronics store where I live, the closest radioshack is 45 minutes away, so I really don't care what happens :D
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts