Circuit City Files for Bankrupcy, Good Holiday Deals?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
Circuit City Files for Bankrupcy, Good Holiday Deals?

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:59 pm

Check it out.
I'll be sad if Circuit City goes under, but if it gets me some sweet Black Friday deals, it'd be awesome. :D

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:11 am

the one by me has the store closing banner across it already. I desperately need a new laptop so I guess I should go check it out.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:59 am

My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:09 am

Chapter 11 just gives the company extra leeway to reorganize and cut costs. K-Mart was in Chapter 11 for a while, it's not that big a deal from a consumer's perspective.

But why are they in this position in the first place? Probably because idiot consumers think Best Buy's name is the truth and they're getting an equivalent, cutting-edge product at Wal-Mart. :roll:

At least Circuit City didn't do a massive buyout and expansion like Ames did. (You might not recognize the name, but they were a staple in the northeast. They expanded until they were the fourth largest retailer in the country, spent all their money, and closed. That was sad; I remember going in there in late 2002 and all they really had was a small section of the store accessible, where you could by signs, price guns, retail furniture, and $40 Game Gear games.)

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:32 am

I love Circuit City and would be very sad if they went under.

The only time I buy stuff at BB is when CC is out... and then only games. All my hardware is CC, for like the last 8 years!

HBN

Re: Circuit City Files for Bankrupcy, Good Holiday Deals?

Post by HBN » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:59 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:...if it gets me some sweet Black Friday deals, it'd be awesome. :D
Sometimes you make me sick....And then some days, like today, you do or say something special and really piss me off.

Try having your job sucked out from under you, then have somebody come in gleaming with joy to get the next top gadget at super-low prices.

I'd never wish that to happen to you, but I'll be honest...I came close just now. Real close.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Re: Circuit City Files for Bankrupcy, Good Holiday Deals?

Post by Jongamer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am

Maybe be able to get a 8GB Zune cheap, or maybe a 80GB Zune for the price of a normal 8GB Zune.

sdh

Post by sdh » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:26 am

Uhm, yeah..
With that kind of behavior you may piss off other people :?
It's just his thoughts on this, why take it so personal?
like he said above, did you yourself work there or what?

EDIT: Seems above poster edited :P

HBN

Post by HBN » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:22 pm

sdh wrote:Uhm, yeah..

I didn't work there, but know people who will be affected. I am, however being effected by automotive economy. Hence the fact that I haven't a penny to my name, and am having trouble just getting through a meal.

I dont mind getting a deal, having done so myself. But I have never intentionally, or knowingly made that deal at somebody else's expense. Especially at the expense of a job, which can royally screw somebody over out of a home. The streets are not a nice place to live.

I'm sorry I offended anybody (Other than CTF, cuz frankly, I'm just not sorry if I offend him. Not on this topic.). But as sdh said, its my opinion.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:27 pm

In Canada, we have The Source by CC. They bought up radio shack. Now we won't have a radio shack.
Hey, sup?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:00 pm

I am, however being effected by automotive economy.
thats too bad, if ford/gm/chrysler etc would just make decent quality automobiles at a decent price there wouldnt be a problem. yes its sad when there are layoffs and such but its not the consumers fault that the company has poor sales, its up to the company to make products people want to buy.

perhaps instead of complaining online about it and begging people to buy your cafepress stuff you should be looking for a different job? yes the economy is in the toilet but that doesnt mean that there arent jobs out there, just might not be what you want but its better than starving or being homeless.

as to the circuit city thing it doesnt effect me because the nearest one is over an hours drive from me, same with bestbuy, most similar thing was when the office depot in my town closed

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:12 pm

HBN wrote:
sdh wrote:Uhm, yeah..

I didn't work there, but know people who will be affected. I am, however being effected by automotive economy. Hence the fact that I haven't a penny to my name, and am having trouble just getting through a meal.

I dont mind getting a deal, having done so myself. But I have never intentionally, or knowingly made that deal at somebody else's expense. Especially at the expense of a job, which can royally screw somebody over out of a home. The streets are not a nice place to live.

I'm sorry I offended anybody (Other than CTF, cuz frankly, I'm just not sorry if I offend him. Not on this topic.). But as sdh said, its my opinion.
Wait a minute... How are you affording internet service? :?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:48 pm

HBN wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:...if it gets me some sweet Black Friday deals, it'd be awesome. :D
Sometimes you make me sick....And then some days, like today, you do or say something special and really piss me off.

Try having your job sucked out from under you, then have somebody come in gleaming with joy to get the next top gadget at super-low prices.

I'd never wish that to happen to you, but I'll be honest...I came close just now. Real close.
Wow, overreaction much? Really, you've got to be one of the most emotionally-charged message board posters I've ever had to deal with, and to be honest with you, you're just incompetent. Businesses close, people get laid off, get over it. That's the free market at work. Don't like it? Move to Cuba, I'm sure they'll take good care of you.
HBN wrote:I didn't work there, but know people who will be affected. I am, however being effected by automotive economy. Hence the fact that I haven't a penny to my name, and am having trouble just getting through a meal.

Do you understand at all that one of the most basic human liberties of freedom includes the right to fail? Look, everyone's affected by the current economic debacle, so your uniquely personal whine-fest does little to sway anyone here. My dad's been an automotive guy his entire life and his career's on the line, but again, it happens. Stores close, corporations go under, and people become unemployed. It's a basic result of Capitalism, the people who get laid off there can get other jobs. You make it sound as if people who get axed now and again are doomed to the streets. :roll:

EDIT:
Mario wrote:Wait a minute... How are you affording internet service? :?
THANK YOU! If you can't eat, you probably shouldn't be running up the bill with internet access. If the access point isn't yours, you should probably be working instead of screwing around here.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Kurt_ wrote:In Canada, we have The Source by CC. They bought up radio shack. Now we won't have a radio shack.
Meh. To be honest all of The Source's products are overpriced. For the most part, any components you would need can be purchased at B&E Electronics or Active. If all else fails, there's Digi-Key. And for everything else that the Source carries, there's Future Shop and BestBuy. Losing the Source isn't too big of a deal.

That being said, I might check out one of the stores to see if there's any really good deals.

-dev
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

HBN

Post by HBN » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:20 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
Mario wrote:Wait a minute... How are you affording internet service? :?
THANK YOU! If you can't eat, you probably shouldn't be running up the bill with internet access. If the access point isn't yours, you should probably be working instead of screwing around here.
I don't pay for the internet, so its not my issue. The service is paid by my parents. I just use it.

I'm trying to find a good job. But this is Michigan we're talking about. Not just that but the freaking BOONIES. Otisville... Otter Lake. Barely big enough to be put on the map. The nearest "Decent" jobs are 50+miles away (And they aren't hiring). All the near by places don't need any more employees.

Trust me, I am looking. And yeah, Triton, I'm begging. So whats wrong with that? I'm trying to take care of my family. I'll do anything I have to. I have no shame about it either. That's my job.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.