Need some brutally honest feed back.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator: Moderators

ghosstt

Need some brutally honest feed back.

Post by ghosstt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:25 pm

I did a demo of a new song I'm working on. Its really really really rough at this point. Just an intro, one verse and one chorus. Nothing special (post recording wise) Its really in the pre-demo stages actually.

Recording in Krystal, MP3ed in audacity after noise clean-up.

http://www.purevolume.com/JoeAndHisGuitar

The first song is the new one. Check em all though and tell me what you think please! I need a lot of feedback.

EDIT: Please be brutally honest. I can take criticism fine. I really want to know how to improve to get better. (And I dont mean for you to say like ["O add some crazy sweeping" or anything]) Thanks!

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:06 pm

The first one? You mean sad song?

I think it's beautiful. :)

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Mario wrote:The first one? You mean sad song?

other one. Project 8 Demo. But thanks. :D

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:39 pm

ghosstt wrote:
Mario wrote:The first one? You mean sad song?

other one. Project 8 Demo. But thanks. :D
Ah. Listened to it, it is very nice. Very good riff. But to be brutally honest, the song is a little repetitive. Try spicing it up a little. :)

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:05 pm

Sounds like your guitar may be a little out of tune? I would suggest using a click track (drums, clicking, whatever) to keep the tempo steady. It sounds fine now, but you'll notice a big difference. Unless of course you already are, then you might want to try to stay a little steadier with the beat. There ya go, some constructive criticism :wink: . Well, actually after listening to it a couple more times, the tempo sounds fine. Like Mario said though, it is kind of repetitive.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID: schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:45 am

Sounds good. It was a little to repetitive for my liking. And it sounded like the tempo fluctuated a bit in the beginning

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:23 am

Not trying to be too offensive but there isn't too much there to comment on.

I wouldn't say the song is bad, it might seem a little repitive but i'm sure if you stuck some drums and vocals on it would have a lot more to it I guess.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:56 pm

@Negative Creep: I know theres not much. It's really a demo to a demo. It was just for me to get my stuff down so I would have it saved. Its really just some little bits. Thanks though.

@schemllyfart: I didn't use anything to keep tempo, so that's probably why it fluctuated. I'm gonna try and do some re-recordings. I also plan on doing a variation each bar of the verse on the lead, so it won't be so repetitive.

@Nieldo_64
: Thanks for the criticism. I have yet to use a click track or anything, so I'm going to try on my next demo for this song. How exactly do you find out the tempo your playing? I can keep it with my foot, but thats not going to help much for a click track.

@Mario: Thanks. Check at what I wrote to Schemlly with the new varianats.

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:42 pm

It doesn't really fit with your "Acoustic / Folk" description ;). Basically it has a few timing issues. Some places are a little rushed, or you come in too early. Practice with a metronome or use a click track and that should fix the problem.

As far as it being repetitive, it would probably be fine if there were words over it. Some of the most popular songs have the same 3 power chords repeated through the entire song.

ps. I really like Untitled pt.2

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:13 pm

WhatULive4 wrote:It doesn't really fit with your "Acoustic / Folk" description ;). Basically it has a few timing issues. Some places are a little rushed, or you come in too early. Practice with a metronome or use a click track and that should fix the problem.

As far as it being repetitive, it would probably be fine if there were words over it. Some of the most popular songs have the same 3 power chords repeated through the entire song.

ps. I really like Untitled pt.2
Thanks. I know it doesn't fit my description anymore. I'm gonna probably redo it with a click track, as well as do it with a quadrecord technique. (Record each part 4 times. Then pan 2 hard left, 2 hard right, and the subtle differences in each time you play it will tighten it up and make it sound better)

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:41 am

Nice track, like it. Gave it 5* to improve your stats! :wink:

Feel free to post an MP3 of it, and others of yours here please :D