The general concensus...(WARNING: A NDS thread...beware...)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Lucretius
The general concensus...(WARNING: A NDS thread...beware...)

Post by Lucretius » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:56 pm

A little while, ago I PMed a few members of the board to get their opinion on a pertanent issue.
I wrote:I'm doing an essay on the successes and failures of Nintendo and am doing a survey:

It's almost universal that the Nintendo Virtual Boy, Nintendo Famicom Disk System, and SNES CD-ROM (more of a mistake :? ) were Nintendo's biggest failures. Would you say that the Nintendo DS will be added to this list?

Thanks for you time!
A flurry of messages came back to me:
benheckc wrote:Virtual Boy yes, can't say as much for the SNES-CD / Playstation as it never actually happened.

DS... if it's true the REAL next Gameboy "Evolution" comes out this year... I wouldn't say DS is a failure (since it seemed to sell a lot this X-mas) but moreso a stopgap "cash-in" gimmicky throwaway POS to shore up for the stockholders.

I used to like Nintendo, up until 2001. But come on! Not even 4 years, and THREE versions of a portable Nintendo game console! That's just as bad as Sega in the mid 90's (Sega CD, 32-X, Saturn) if not worse.

I think at some point it's gonna bite them in the butt, and with the PSP coming, it could be soon. Sure, some people are content to buy a new version of the Gameboy PRACTICALLY EVERY YEAR but others want a system that's got it all (backlit screen!) right off the bat!

So I would say Nintendo ITSELF since 2001 is a huge blunder. They were doing some stuff alright with the N64... heck, it sold a lot better than the Gamecube has!
cennar wrote:only if they release the next game boy. the GBE <-Ewww! re name it to please!
xxxeagle wrote:I would say the nintendo ds is one of their average systems its not a total failure a lot of people have it but i dont think the people who dont have it want it and after a year it will stop selling.
Black Six wrote:No, the DS has been getting some very favorable reactions from the media and has some excellent games out or coming.
gannon wrote:At the moment, yes, but if they ever come out with games and software with a better use of the touchscreen I can see it getting fairly popular.
sam wrote:Yeah cause its just a damn N64 with smaller cartrages, long live N64 boo/ die DS.
SpongeBuell wrote:hmmm, interesting idea. Now that you mention it, I haven't really seen too many games for it, and the whole pen and dual screens idea really is more of a gimmick than anything, like the whole virtual reality approach to the virtual boy. I'm going to have to say yes on that one. Good luck on your project, and let me know if you need any more help :) and no, I won't do it for you
peppers wrote:perhaps

I like the virtual boy and the SNES CD-ROM failing was they had sony make it for them (became the playstation there number one competitor now because of that in case you did not know< at least that is what I read in offical playststion magizine (OPM))
and the Nintendo Famicom Disk System was a good idea just did not pan out

but the DS is just to gimicy and not relly great for game play but the system sold quite well so far how well the games will go remains to be seen
JackFrost22 wrote:Yes being a left handed mae I cannot easily use the touch screen functions. The controls can beswitched in the opotions, but the dpad is then 4 buttons not a dpad. Its immpossible to use. I am so buying the PSP.
HK-47 wrote:I hope not since I have one... :P
Enjoy!
-Luke

Fabre

Post by Fabre » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:29 pm

Everyone seems to be ignoring the PSP's big issues. While people seem to think the PSP's power/overheating issues have been solved, they haven't. Well, at least not as well as they should have. Most people know that Sony told developers to use power-hungry features such as the disc drive as little as possible, the PSP has a dirty little secret not many people know - to keepthe power consumption/heat to a minimum, the current firmware locks the main processor at 222 MHz. The processor can technically run at up to 333 MHz, but Sony would rather make people pay for a 333 MHz processor and not be able to use its' full power.

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:32 pm

but this thread has nothing to do with the psp :|

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:33 pm

Quiet you, I'm gettin notes for my report...
-Luke

sam

Post by sam » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:45 pm

There will be a report?
I'm the man, if you don't think so, you're wrong.
sniper_spike wrote:That sucks, bro's before ho's anyway man.

FDSMAN
Location:uh some where over there and around the corner to down and up there

Post by FDSMAN » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:22 pm

everyone who isa on this forum , should not be talking about real portables cuz they will be put down , since you guys make them :P
ImageImage
if you would like to donate to my ps2p portable pm me

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:48 pm

You didn't ask me... :( Boo-hoo...

I'll put my opinion here anyway. The touch screen is a gimmick. The 2 screens are a gimmick. Gimmicks get old and break down after time. Already they have lost their "OOhhhh...Neato!" factor.
I have asked every one of my friends what they thought of the DS, and they all liked GBA better since they hate the touch screen! And it costs so much. All they want is something cheap and fun to play so GBA was their answer. As for me, I think DS is fun, but not worth the money. Maybe if they came out with an amazing game like Halo for it people would accept it as a real gaming system(hey it worked for Xbox!)

BTW, I played the DS at a local Wal-Mart and nearly everything on it was broken. The GBA that they always had there almost never broke. My point is that it seems to be made cheaply. Also the bottom screen was so worn that you couldn't even see the screen enough to play.

this-is-me
Location:Sitting here watching the shootout between Unidentified Assilant and Electric Rain on my TV

Post by this-is-me » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:23 am

I played the DS at a local Wal-Mart and nearly everything on it was broken.
You want to know why? Because dumb idiots sabatoge it. There are people all over vandalizing the DS because they don't like it. If something is broken, then someone did it on purpose, becuase it's really a solidly made handheld.
Who else would I be?

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:28 am

I played a DS at Gamestation, nothing external was broken, the stylus was missing, and I scratched the screen playing Wario Ware Touched (the one where you have to do the carving scratched the screen) Nintendo suck.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:33 am

I think DS is pretty cool. It would have been nice if they had made it able to play GB and GBc games. They should also make an adapter for n64 games that would optimize them for DS. Not that anyone elses portable aren't cool.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:57 am

I'll probably be doing more survey and include more people next time.

As for the report, when it's done, I'll send it to a select three for editing and stuff (If they want to help). After my instructor grades it and does the whole turnitin.com on it, I'll post it.

EDIT: Interesting little tidbit- Many complain that Nintendo isn't marketing th NDS enough. But five days after the PSP's launch, I haven't seen a single PSP display (NDS display were put out the day of their launch). Heck I haven't even seen a PSP in person, and I haven't seen any comercials. Does Sony even want people to but them? :roll:
Last edited by Lucretius on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Luke

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:43 am

the comercials are on mtv and about psp problems there a lot less common then nds problems

Jakq

Post by Jakq » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:55 am

I like my DS enough. It has enough games coming out for me to warrent its purchase. Right now my girlfriend has it though, shes been playing mario.

Im getting mario kart, megaman battle network, animal crossing, metroid prime hunters, and other games I cant remember right now.

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:02 am

i didn't get asked.

:(
2 "pong" systems, Atari 2600, Odyssey2, Intellivision III, Top Loading NES, GameBoy Pocket, Sega Genesis 3, Sega Nomad, Game.com, N64, Playstation, Dreamcast, GameCube, XBox

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:04 am

Well, pretend you were asked and reply here...I only had a limited amount of time. I couldn't ask all 452 members. Next time I'll include more people. Sheesh :wink: .
-Luke