The general concensus...(WARNING: A NDS thread...beware...)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:28 pm

There's several Gamecube games that are on 2 discs. I believe those GC discs are about 1.2 gigs or so. MAYBE 1.5.

A single sided DVD (picture on one side) holds 4.7 gig.s A single sided dual-layer disc (looks the same but there's 2 layers on the back instead of just 1, the most common) holds 9.4 (double) That's a LOT more than a GC disc.

Some DVD's (such as the 2000 edition Terminator 2 DVD) are double sided dual layers. 2 layers on each side, 4.7 each, total of 18.8 gigs! (This is rare though as it doesn't allow a picture/label printing on the disc)

I have yet to see a PSP. I live right near Madison (once voted "Most Wired City in America" and have actually only seen about 2 iPods in real life use either. Maybe it's just me. (I also never go to coffee shops :)

Fabre

Post by Fabre » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Just in case you wanted confirmation of the PSP's CPU speed lockdown for the report (speaking to the OP, btw), here is a slide from a Sony presentation mentioning it:

MM007

Post by MM007 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:46 pm

Has anyone cracked that lock and clocked it to 333MHz?
Warranty-Voiding fun!

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:57 pm

benheckc wrote:(I also never go to coffee shops :)
Overrated penny pushers, that's what they are... :x
-Luke

peppers

Post by peppers » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:07 pm

bicostp wrote:
And they should haave given the Gamecube a real DVD drive.
MM007 wrote:"MM007"]
soundwave wrote:Yeah, that sounds about right.
That's about 1/3rd a normal DVD capacity. (I've heard figures circling around 4.7GB for normal DVD formats.)

With the next generation of consoles going to HD or BlueRay, Nintendo needs to keep up.
benheckc wrote:There's several Gamecube games that are on 2 discs. I believe those GC discs are about 1.2 gigs or so. MAYBE 1.5.

A single sided DVD (picture on one side) holds 4.7 gig.s A single sided dual-layer disc (looks the same but there's 2 layers on the back instead of just 1, the most common) holds 9.4 (double) That's a LOT more than a GC disc.

Some DVD's (such as the 2000 edition Terminator 2 DVD) are double sided dual layers. 2 layers on each side, 4.7 each, total of 18.8 gigs! (This is rare though as it doesn't allow a picture/label printing on the disc)

I have yet to see a PSP. I live right near Madison (once voted "Most Wired City in America" and have actually only seen about 2 iPods in real life use either. Maybe it's just me. (I also never go to coffee shops :)

most ps2 games are relly under the size of the GC disk but they are full of dummy files and very few games where resised in mulite layer cause earler verson ps2s cant play them very well that is why star ocan was no 2 disks instead of useing a multie layer and outhers like it such as teminator that used both sides when that also would fit on a duel layer so the smaller disks did not hert the gamecube very much at all although its hefty encryption did protect it for some time agenst dvd-r copys and who need your video game system to play dvd movies its unnessasery
Im done here

MM007

Post by MM007 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:49 pm

*MM007 sheepishly raises his hand...*

What can I say? I'm poor, and my PS2 lens hasn't suffered yet...of course, I only play maybe 3 DVDs a year so far...
peppers wrote:who need your video game system to play dvd movies its unnessasery
Warranty-Voiding fun!

peppers

Post by peppers » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:57 pm

you can get a real dvd player for under the cost of one game for it
Im done here

MM007

Post by MM007 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:01 am

peppers wrote:you can get a real dvd player for under the cost of one game for it
That cheap, eh? Hmm...I remember when they were $200...
Warranty-Voiding fun!

s3ptic

Post by s3ptic » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:09 am

Interesting Survey. I am really surprised so many of you have already dismissed the DS. I mean I have never owned a Nintendo console in my life(except a GBA, but thats a handheld) and have always disliked how gimiky the whole concept seems, but I don't really think you can categorize it along with the Virtual Boy. In my book anything that has shipped over a million units in a couple of months is at least a mild success. Sure the DS has a pretty meager serving of games so far, but with a handful of cheap Nintendo ports and a few quality 3rd party ports I could see the DS capturing the same market that was so enamored with the GBA. As soon as Nintendo pulls the plug on the GBA I no Nintendo fan will have no choice but to quickly transfer to the DS for the full serving of rehashed licenses and "child-friendly" game play.

Fabre

Post by Fabre » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:33 am

MM007 wrote:Has anyone cracked that lock and clocked it to 333MHz?
Grab a hex editor and get started on the firmware update if you want...

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:52 am

s3ptic wrote:In my book anything that has shipped over a million units in a couple of months is at least a mild success.
They shipped a lot, mostly at Christmas, but a lot of people I know have gone through 2 or 3. a lot of people have done stupid things like try GB & GBC games, but some people have just had bad luck. My friend bought one, plugged it in, and it blew up(almost). He returned it, got a new one, and it's touch screen didn't work. Sure, they shipped a lot out, but then they shipped a lot back in because they didn't work.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:28 am

Yes, but a lot of people do stupid things with their systems too...like use them to prop up furniture. Yes, I have seen this.

While you can take an NES controller and bang the hell out of a table, a modern controller(non third party at least) may fall apart. If you avoid excessive use, use common sense, and do preventive maintenence, like buying a screen cover(or 2 in this case) and a carrying case to protect it, you should be ok.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:44 am

MM007 wrote:Yes, but a lot of people do stupid things with their systems too...like use them to prop up furniture. Yes, I have seen this.

While you can take an NES controller and bang the hell out of a table, a modern controller(non third party at least) may fall apart. If you avoid excessive use, use common sense, and do preventive maintenence, like buying a screen cover(or 2 in this case) and a carrying case to protect it, you should be ok.
Yea, the things aren't built as solid as they used to be anymore.