"Who's making what" presently or soon, thread

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire
"Who's making what" presently or soon, thread

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:06 am

There isn't a great deal of activity lately here with people making systems, it seems. Is the interest waning or are members here keeping quiet about their projects? I hope interest isn't waning as portablizing is great fun and far more old games have greater longevity in their play than new titles. I have a big collection of games on various platforms of top quality games, bought cheaply too! I won't tire playing old stuff for many years to come, that is for sure!

Personally, my projects are (in order of working on presently / forthcoming projects):

(1) make some more plug'n'plays for my Mini-project; just a few more. Harder to motivate myself to make many more, I know what I am doing now and can do the work quickly; little challenge now! (I will complete though and get a good collection). Most of the fun of making a system is working everything out, after all. That is the reason since starting the SNES for my Multi-system that I prefer to open systems apart and try and work things out for myself, rather than researching heavily first - more fun!!

(2) rather than making a PSone onto my Multi-project, I will look into making a dedicated portable, I will document this project fully here, once started. I want to end up with a system only slightly bigger than a PSone if I can, including built-in controls (including two joysticks) and PSone screen. It will be interesting, considering the awkwardness of the fact there is a CD drive in the equation. I have a few design ideas at the moment to consider...

(3) make a portable GameCube system to use the 8" JoyTech PS2 screen I have. May as well use it for this as I have it anyway; and the screen takes 12v too, so makes sense for a GC project (at 7.5v you only get audio, screen does need 12v to work properly). I will still do a GC for my Multi-project no doubt too.

(4) more platforms for my Multi project - Amstrad GX4000, NES, Megadrive 2, Saturn, Jaguar.

I will re-paint the Multi system casing in the next weeks to fit into my "look" of the textured black style, it will look better and also be consistent; like "product branding".

I burned myself out a bit from working so hard on my Mini system (compo entry) as it was a bit project and had to fix a number of things that went wrong; lovely system, still love it. That is why I haven't done so much over the last month - also, my holiday is over, so project work has to fit into my schedule again.

So guys, what are your current projects and what are forthcoming? Please only post real projects or ones you will be seriously looking at making (rather than talking about making it and not actually making it). I want to see what you are doing. For your current projects, it will be interesting to see the problems you have had and how you solved them, could be useful snippits of info for others here too then.

I just feel these days that there isn't much portablizing being done (you can typically count the systems being made by everyone here easily on one hand these days it seems) and this is saddening, as portablizing is the core purpose of this site (not "oh, it's my birthday" threads); I want this site to sparkle again, like it used to...

xtrmgam3r360

Post by xtrmgam3r360 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:35 am

I'm finally planning on starting my first project, a N64p. I probably won't start for about a month while I'm stocking up on materials. If anyone has some good advice just PM me and let me know, or just leave a reply. Also what are some good buttons to use?

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:47 am

Just because I don't post doesn't mean I'm not working on something. I'd rather be dedicating my energy to my projects than snapping pictures and writing a worklog.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

HBN

Post by HBN » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:26 am

Presently: SNESp.

Soon? Heh. How about "Future Plans"? I'd be happy for a while just to get the SNESp done. After my small list of half-started of portables, I'm sure it'll be a welcome sight here on the forums, as well. After I'm done being satisfied... I'll prolly finish my HBN64 if I have the money (Its SUCH a moneypit!). If not, who knows? Maybe a portable Bejeweled made from a Plug-n-Play I just happened across a few weeks ago. That'd be kinda cool.

The truth is; Who knows? Crap happens. Life, and love comes first.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:19 am

i'm too busy with work and work right now. and gettin ready to move. after all that is settled, i'll be able to work on projects again (mid november). i plan to finish up both the handyduo and the handygear. if not before christmas, than shortly after in the new year. i also have another side project that just has a few hours work left on it. then there is that other thing that i'll be doing, but you'll just have to keep guessing what that is. lol! oh yeah, and that one, and that one, and that one, and that one too! oh wait... i have like 15 projects... :? they'll all get done. someday. :wink:
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:06 am

loveablechevy - Good, make sure to keep us up to date with your projects!

xtrmgam3r360 - Good, it isn't that hard doing an N64, just a bit more involving. You might like to have a look on my site, lots of useful info there you might like for your project! In regards to best buttons; most controllers have sloped sides, so of course the buttons are also sloped. The SuperPad, which I used, has a flat surface around the buttons, so the buttons are also flat - ideal.

Tibia - Fair enough, but how about outlining what your project(s) are and whatever you want to tell us about them/it? We can look forward to seeing them in due course!

HBN - Only the screens and batteries are "moneypits" as such, you can always use the same batteries for whatever systems you make, if you make a battery compartment to slot your cells into (as I do), that saves a fair bit of cash. The batteries don't have to be internal after all.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:00 am

on my work bench, Sega Neptune, The FIC, Retro Duo (adding cart slots but its technically done need to post some more pics), Atari Video mods, and a super secret project.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

HBN

Post by HBN » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:13 pm

bacteria wrote:HBN - Only the screens and batteries are "moneypits" as such, you can always use the same batteries for whatever systems you make, if you make a battery compartment to slot your cells into (as I do), that saves a fair bit of cash. The batteries don't have to be internal after all.
Fair enough, but my HBN64 uses a 17" to 19" screen, and internal flat-cell Li-Ions that cannot be removed for charging (But have massive amps). You have a good idea on using the same cells, but if I have people over, and we all want to use a different system, the cost for spare cells is gonna be on-par with how I'm doing it. So I don't see the point.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:26 pm

HBN wrote:
bacteria wrote:HBN - Only the screens and batteries are "moneypits" as such, you can always use the same batteries for whatever systems you make, if you make a battery compartment to slot your cells into (as I do), that saves a fair bit of cash. The batteries don't have to be internal after all.
Fair enough, but my HBN64 uses a 17" to 19" screen, and internal flat-cell Li-Ions that cannot be removed for charging (But have massive amps). You have a good idea on using the same cells, but if I have people over, and we all want to use a different system, the cost for spare cells is gonna be on-par with how I'm doing it. So I don't see the point.
Fair enough, after all, each system is made to whatever specification you want it to, as the inventor. In my case, only I play my systems, so I just need a main set of cells and a spare set; if different systems use the same batteries, then they can be interchanged. In saying this, my Mini system uses half-height batteries and the Multi uses normal height ones; both types are for the Canon 911 camcorder so use the same chargers.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:31 pm

Right now I am about to start a nes portable using a yobo nes ( i know about the compatability issues, but it has a very small mobo). screen and battery won't be an issue, becuase I have a portable dvd player with a compatable screen that came with a rechargeable battery. All together, the project should cost me only about 75/100 dollars.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Valium

Post by Valium » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:08 pm

3 Projects at the moment, two break records, 3rd is the second of it's kind (might also end up breaking a record). Very hush hush.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:37 pm

Working on another N64 portable but with no cartridge slot. Ought to have it done by MGC.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:05 pm

No cart slot? OOOH... :P

Me? I have a few projects, but do not want to commit, as school takes up a LOT of time right now.

@Bacteria: Have you gotten my stuff in the mail yet? If not, I should probably call my post office and see whats going on. I believe I got delivery confirmation, but I will have to check.

Excellent

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:07 pm

I am currently working on a zn-40 N64 portable (finishing touches) and a portable NOAC NES with a dreamcast controller casing and intec screen pad lcd, kind of like Tritons duo project (only I did mine first lol :P ). They are both quite sexy. The front of the NES is done, and most of the electronics, but the back is in progress.

marshallh - I am curious about your project. Sounds very interesting. I would assume you are also chopping and cropping as much as possible from the board, no? *waits to see the smallest n64 portable EVER*
Last edited by Neildo_64 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Good, some nice interesting projects from various people; excellent.

palmertech - Not got package yet, although I did get a collection note from the Post Office a couple of days ago (I was asleep when he arrived, as I was between working two night shifts); seem pretty up to date with my e-bay received goods, so it probably is your package (hopefully) - will know in the next days when I collect the item if it is yours or not.

marshallh - I am intrigued!