...Thinking about moving to Canada...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:49 am

Are you SURE? I'm pretty sure it's still 14%.

And yeah, southern ontario summers can get pretty brutal. It's not uncommon that it hits 35 C (95 F) with 100% humidity for a week or more in the peak of summer. And it usually gets down to about - 20 C in winter. I think the record for cold (while I was sitll alive) was around -35 C (-31 F) in my town.
Hey, sup?

xtrmgam3r360

Post by xtrmgam3r360 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:23 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Are you SURE? I'm pretty sure it's still 14%.

And yeah, southern ontario summers can get pretty brutal. It's not uncommon that it hits 35 C (95 F) with 100% humidity for a week or more in the peak of summer. And it usually gets down to about - 20 C in winter. I think the record for cold (while I was sitll alive) was around -35 C (-31 F) in my town.
Wow, temperature wise, that sounds exactly like Wisconsin (maybe a little less cold here, but not much).

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:02 pm

You are forgetting some of the key reasons to move to Canada.

Free healthcare.
Soft copyright laws. (for now)
BEER

I couldn't imagine living in the states and having to worry about going to the doctor if I was feeling well. If you break your arm, big deal. If you slice your head open big deal. All you pay for is the ambulance ride. No $1,000 bill here, $4,000 there.

If I want to download an mp3 or try out some software, no government agency is going to knock on my door and fine me ridiculous amounts of money.

Also, you don't have to worry about getting sued every time you turn the corner or look at someone wrong.

Honestly, I live in Saskatchewan and unless I was offered a crazy high paying job I would never leave. Sure the winters can be a little bit cold, but at least we don't have floods and hurricanes. We have a surplus of jobs, and the economy is on the rise. Everyone from Alberta is moving here. The oil, diamond, and potash industry is going through the roof.

5% pst 5% gst.

If you graduate from university, you get the first few years of salary INCOME TAX FREE.

Your car insurance is included in the price of your license as well.

Really, what are you waiting for =)

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:32 am

In ontario tax is 13%.
Also! Stuff like Coffee, and caffinated beverages you only pay like 8% TAX! :3 I know this for a fact. I buy a coffee from 7/11 everyday.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:00 am

HotDog-Cart wrote:In ontario tax is 13%.
Also! Stuff like Coffee, and caffinated beverages you only pay like 8% TAX! :3
Here in MA the sales tax on everything is 7%. (Well, not everything. They don't tax clothes and food.) There are some states (Deleware, I think, included) that have no sales tax.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 pm

We pay 9.75% sales tax here in Tennessee... it's pretty dumb. Image

sam

Post by sam » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:53 pm

I have not posted here in a while but found a link on engadget and decided to take a look in the forums and I can't believe the mindless drivel that is being spoken about both Canada and America.

We are not a "Melting Pot" it is common for immigrants to continue following their customs/beliefs. The "Salad Bowl" is a more appropriate term for us. I would offer up the following; if your step father looks like a native then he may run into trouble with bigots (they are everywhere, Canada is a tolerant country however there are always exceptions)

The generalities spouted out are unfortunately that, generalities. I would personally not have you come to Canada as it makes it more difficult for true refugees into Canada. It is more difficult to get a job if you don't have your Canadian citizenship, you pay serious taxes, you get healthcare it is an egalitarian society and if you think that Canada is "Right Wing" just because we have a MINORITY conservative government and we are far from "Right Wing".
I'm the man, if you don't think so, you're wrong.
sniper_spike wrote:That sucks, bro's before ho's anyway man.

Gordon1

Post by Gordon1 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:36 pm

sam wrote:I have not posted here in a while but found a link on engadget and decided to take a look in the forums and I can't believe the mindless drivel that is being spoken about both Canada and America.

We are not a "Melting Pot" it is common for immigrants to continue following their customs/beliefs. The "Salad Bowl" is a more appropriate term for us. I would offer up the following; if your step father looks like a native then he may run into trouble with bigots (they are everywhere, Canada is a tolerant country however there are always exceptions)

The generalities spouted out are unfortunately that, generalities. I would personally not have you come to Canada as it makes it more difficult for true refugees into Canada. It is more difficult to get a job if you don't have your Canadian citizenship, you pay serious taxes, you get healthcare it is an egalitarian society and if you think that Canada is "Right Wing" just because we have a MINORITY conservative government and we are far from "Right Wing".

Yes but the fact of the matter of right wingness all depends where you live. Most of Ontario (this is changing however) is NDP. Whereas in Alberta where I live it is Basically all Conservative.

Also the Canadian definition is far less severe than that of the Americans!

This a a map of what certain areas of the country voted.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/map/ ... creen.html

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Anyone who says Canadian healthcare is "free" obviously is ignorant to basic facts. Canadian healthcare is not free, you have to pay for it just as we do here in America. The only difference is, instead of paying an insurance company directly, the government acts as a conduit to itself, ironically, and you pay for your coverage through your highly escalated tax rates. Read this and tell me if Canadian healthcare sounds at all appealing anymore.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:26 pm

canada=govt healthcare paid for by slightly higher taxes (8-13% according to hcd vs 0-10% in usa) quality of care is good for minor things but severe things not so good, longer waits for treatment and such

USA=you pay for your healthcare, insurance costs depend on how much you make, your age sex etc etc etc and unless you are employed by a large company it can be VERY EXPENSIVE, up to or over a thousand dollars a month but the alternative (no insurance) guarantees that if anything significatly bad for you will not only be bad but probably ruin you financially or put you in debt for many years because hospitals inflate costs and taxes make drug companies charge out the ass for some medications, government assistance does exist but too many people abuse the system which makes it harder for legitimate claims to get accepted

TL;DR they both mostly suck, it depends on the situation

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:09 am

bicostp wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote:In ontario tax is 13%.
Also! Stuff like Coffee, and caffinated beverages you only pay like 8% TAX! :3
Here in MA the sales tax on everything is 7%. (Well, not everything. They don't tax clothes and food.) There are some states (Deleware, I think, included) that have no sales tax.
don't forget montana :D
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts