Anyone ever overdosed on caffeine?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
Anyone ever overdosed on caffeine?

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Just wondering: Has anyone overdosed on caffeine before? I think it'd be something quite interesting to try. I mean, take 1 gram's worth of caffeine through of caffeinated mints or instant coffee, and see what happens. (That's 10 coffees)

You can get 20 grams of caffeine (pill form) for $17 off of ebay. And possibly in some really sketchy store.
Hey, sup?

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:45 pm

Well here's some numbers for you:

-87 mg per pound that you weigh would kill you

-The recommended daily maximum is 500-600 mg in a 24 hour time period

-A dosage of more than 1800 mg in a 6 hour period puts you at risk for heart problems

-Caffeine's half life is 6 hours

So putting all of that together, overdosing would be a stupid thing to do. Not to mention, buying caffeine off of ebay sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. If you're going to consume a lot of caffeine, I would recommend no more than a single gram in a six hour time period. If you're going to try it, eat Foosh mints, they have been confirmed as a 100 mg dose that is safe to consume. The pills sold at sketchy stores and gas stations could have traces of other substances or "impure" caffeine, not to mention their content could be falsely labeled and you would never know. I work in a coffee shop and read about this kind of stuff all the time, stick with good brands, it's not worth the risk buying sketchy stuff. Shots of espresso are good too, but they tend to be much more expensive. Bottom line: BE CAREFUL.
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Well looky here! A calculator to figure out just that figure, complete with presets for most popular caffeinated beverages!

http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine

Overdosing on caffeine is a dumb thing to do. You're better off getting real sleep. :P

HBN

Post by HBN » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:39 pm

After 179.07 bottles of Bawls, you'd be pushing up daisies.
Pardon me, but after 179 bottles of Bawls, wouldn't my stomach have exploded?

Overdosing is stupid, I'll admit. But if you're careful, it can be quite the trip. IE: Drink a 3-serving "battery can" of Jolt in less than five minutes. Instant rush.

I don't tolerate dissing energy drinks, just so you know, cuz without them I know of three premature kittens who would have died a lot sooner (Ended up dying anyways because of a vet mix up...) without me having Jolt. I stayed up roughly two and a half weeks with less than an half-hour a night. All thanks to Jolt. If not for the vet who screwed up, I'd have something to show for it. But they did, and I lost three kittens because of it.

The human body can do some amazing things when pushed to the limit. And even more amazing things when pushed beyond that limit. Jolt put me over the edge.
Last edited by HBN on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:09 am

I can't stand Energy Drinks except Lucozade

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:34 am

I've tried overdosing caffeine a couple of times, and here's my experience with it:
* More intense sensations. Colours were brighter, sounds were sharper, touching things made more of an impact.
* Anxiety. First a slight anxiety/restlessness that built up over time. Than after maybe 12 hours when the effect wore off, nearly panic.
* Numbnes. In the same time as everything was more intense, I felt sort of numb, in a comfortable way. Don't know how to describe it...
I never felt any hallucinations or anything like that. I wouldn't discourage you from ding it, but keep to coffee rather than pills.

I'm going also to send you a PM.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:44 am

imagine an intense sensation of physical fear that doesnt subside. just on the verge of an adrenaline rush but never actually reaching it. its a tense and uncomfortable feeling. it makes you antsy twitchy

now saying this, your reaction times increase dramatically, your alertness and observation increase threefold, you pick up a sort of momentum when doing something, your focus becomes bullet straight and razor sharp. it makes an intense session of UT2k4 very interesting :D

overal, wouldnt recommend it through pill form. gradually through energy drinks and with plenty of food. caffeine uses an enormous amount of energy reserves.

if you do it, do it wisely, do it sparingly, AND GET MORE SLEEP THAN USUAL AFTER! its very stressful on the body ond afterwards you need to give your body time to recover. 10-14 hours of sleep is usually what i do after a hard caffeine session at a LAN party.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:11 am

please keep in mind that abusing caffeine can be very dangerous! massive ammounts of caffiene and sugar can cause rapid and erratic heartrate, increased blood pressure, ive had friends take too much caffiene and get nosebleeds and stuff like that! just like with every drug do research and keep it in moderation

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 pm

* More intense sensations. Colours were brighter, sounds were sharper, touching things made more of an impact.
If you want that just take mdma. Its probably cheaper even if you get a pure pill(expensive!). I hate to say it but mdma sounds safer than a caffeine over dose.
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:36 pm

26.71 cans of Spike Shotgun + You = Death.
THAT is dangerously low.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:09 pm

In the course of my lifetime, I have consumed one caffeinated beverage. One. It was a vanilla coffee drink thing from Starbucks that my friend bought for me. It was last May, when I had to stay up all night to finish my English term paper. All I really felt was a lack of tiredness and the urge to run around my basement blasting Metallica.

Caffeine is a drug; be careful.

Sugar rushes can be fun. Down two packs of Tropical Skittles in five minutes. It's crazy. :lol:
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

ian2120

Post by ian2120 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:33 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:...the urge to run around my basement blasting Metallica.
I have that all the time! :D

Yeah, don't do anything stupid guys. I don't believe in overdosing, smoking, or anything of the sort. I take pride in life, and you guys should too. :wink:
We Didn't Start The Fire! Watch!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5pjoRZNzC0
Andrew wrote:{I was so happy} I was singing in my head!
me wrote:What song?
Andrew wrote:All of them

totokan

Post by totokan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Really guys? Drug overdosing on purpose? I thought we were mature here :roll:.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Caffeine in smallish amounts (a 20oz. Mountain Dew over the course of an hour) has no noticeable affect on me. I don't feel any less tired or anything like that. Since they don't benefit me much, I don't go out of my way to get them (spending money when I could use a drinking fountain). At most I have about 1 caffeinated drinks a month (Mountain Dew and it variations).

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:32 pm

There's a difference between being mature and being an invincible teen who doesn't care for his body.

Anyways, I figure coffee is a relatively safe drug to overdose on. Mind you, one spike shotgun seems like an overdose to me. Doing the math, one spike is 5 cups of coffee.

But hey, it's a safer, legal alternative to crazy stuff like cocaine and ecstasy. Would you rather I tried those, perhaps?
Hey, sup?