RIP Toonami 1997-2008

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

OAtH_OS

Post by OAtH_OS » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:37 pm

Hey guys don't worry, Cartoon network came out with the GREAT idea to now have an animated star wars show. And you guys thought cartoon network was going downhill........ psh
I lika Pacman.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:31 pm

i DO hope that was scarcasm :? CN isnt even worth watching anymore except for some of adult swim, i remember when it used to be on almost 24/7 (or at least 50/50 with nick back in the day too) at my house and it was almost all good shows, now its mostly crap and there is no hope for it.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Wow, toonami is dead for real now. I can still recall when Toonami first aired, with moltar and cylde, lol.

I remember setting my VCR to tape everything every day so I wouldn't miss anything while I was at school...still have those tapes too! 8)

Lots of good memories of rushing home after school to catch as much programming as possible. Then going to school the following day and discussing the events of DBZ and Johnny Quest with my friends. Yeah.

Now there's only one thing left to do! Once I get home tonight, I shall pop in one my decade old tapes and enjoy some good ol' nastalgia! :wink:

And yeah, CN has been dead for a long time. Only the Adult swim is keeping it alive in any kind of way....it's Boomerang Counterpart is FAR more watchable than CN is right now...of course, Boomerang is pretty much what CN was like 10 years ago....hahaha.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:37 pm

dude! you should totally copy those to your pc and upload em! share the nostalgia!

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Triton wrote:dude! you should totally copy those to your pc and upload em! share the nostalgia!
yeah he totally should do that.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:46 pm

Triton wrote:i DO hope that was scarcasm :? CN isnt even worth watching anymore except for some of adult swim, i remember when it used to be on almost 24/7 (or at least 50/50 with nick back in the day too) at my house and it was almost all good shows, now its mostly crap and there is no hope for it.
I agree. Cartoon network is now a steaming pile of bull s***.
I just watch it for stuff like family guy or robot chicken. maybe metalacalypse. All the daytime shows now are just a bunch of crap low budget animation that isn't the least bit amusing. what ever happened to scooby, or johnny bravo( a lot of people hated johnny, but i liked it)
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:43 pm

What stuff would everyone like to see uploaded? The old Moltar Intros? the Toonami Commercials?

?
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:02 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:What stuff would everyone like to see uploaded? The old Moltar Intros? the Toonami Commercials?

?
All of it?
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:01 pm

Nickelodeon is dead to me. Nick at Nite is the only thing left worth more than a fart, even though they basically run nothing but George Lopez, Family Matters, and Home Improvement nowadays.

Cartoon Network is in a coma. The only good stuff left on there is in Adult swim, and even that list is pretty limited. (Metalocalypse, Venture Bros, Brak, Sealab 2021, etc. Family Guy has sucked since it got so popular and became a tired parody of itself. Seriously, how many times do we have to see them Buckley a joke, Peter fight a chicken, and the stupid vaudeville guys?!)

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:15 pm

bicostp wrote:Nickelodeon is dead to me. Nick at Nite is the only thing left worth more than a fart, even though they basically run nothing but George Lopez, Family Matters, and Home Improvement nowadays.
That about sums up my nightly tv schedule. We hardly watch the news anymore unless whats on Nick at Nite was recently on. 8)

Kazaryster

well

Post by Kazaryster » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:27 pm

I'm kinda glad i always hated it waste of time in fact never really watched anime and probably never will can't stand it the story lines are always retarded and don't even get me started naruto god what happen to good old American cartoons like scooby doo and tom and jerry

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: well

Post by vskid » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:43 pm

Kazaryster wrote:I'm kinda glad i always hated it waste of time in fact never really watched anime and probably never will can't stand it the story lines are always retarded and don't even get me started naruto god what happen to good old American cartoons like scooby doo and tom and jerry
I in general agree with you. But, I do like some anime. Zoids was a pretty good show, but it got cut from Toonami shortly after I got into it. I'm sure that I could have gotten into others such as Gundam, too, if I'd started from the beginning of the series.
The old cartoons can't be matched. They have new versions of many of them, and they don't even come close to being as good as the old ones. All you can do is watch reruns.

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:00 pm

the story lines are always retarded and don't even get me started naruto god what happen to good old American cartoons like scooby doo and tom and jerry
PLEASE dont group crap like naruto and its ilk in with real anime, most of the anime you see on TV now has been HORRIBLY BUTCHERED by 4kids entertainment claiming to make it more "age apropriate" for the less mature and intelligent american audience, their dubs are generally considered to be abominations.

real GOOD anime generally has storylines and characters that are MUCH better than american shows (both animated and non in a lot of cases) deep involved storylines, well developed characters and so on. a lot of it DOESNT have those things but its on purpose lol

TL;DR dont generalize an entire genre based on one poorly edited and dubbed show

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:57 am

Triton wrote:
the story lines are always retarded and don't even get me started naruto god what happen to good old American cartoons like scooby doo and tom and jerry
PLEASE dont group crap like naruto and its ilk in with real anime, most of the anime you see on TV now has been HORRIBLY BUTCHERED by 4kids entertainment claiming to make it more "age apropriate" for the less mature and intelligent american audience, their dubs are generally considered to be abominations.

real GOOD anime generally has storylines and characters that are MUCH better than american shows (both animated and non in a lot of cases) deep involved storylines, well developed characters and so on. a lot of it DOESNT have those things but its on purpose lol

TL;DR dont generalize an entire genre based on one poorly edited and dubbed show
QFT. Seriously don't judge anime based on what you see in this country. They have an anime about everything not just spiky hair and ninjas.

While I agree that what we have on CN sucks compared to old toons like tom and jerry. I for one really didn't like scooby do. The show was predictable to the point of being rediculous. They find a mystery. Velma looses her glasses, they get split up. They get back together and make a trap. Trap goes wrong but they catch villian anyway.

One of the happiest moments in my life was when fox family (or abc family I guess now) Started playing 90s saturday morning cartoons from fox again. X-men (damn that show had some mature themes) spider-man, and hulk. Now if only we could get back the animated batman.

Hey Triton, you and Beth are planning on coming out to next years anime expo right? oh and lol FREAKAZOID
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

Triton

Post by Triton » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:10 am

i know that i plan on going to AX next year, cant speak for beth tho, i know she would want to but whether or not she will be able to is to be determined.