LOOK! E-bay wants us to bend over even further!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:55 pm

Rekarp wrote:I actually charge a "Paypal" fee if the person buying something from me wants to go through paypal. If the buyer wants protection he has to pay for it, not me. I accept money orders and checks.
Still get e-bay fees, but good idea. Could say something like "Also after the auction I will charge X percentage of final sale for e-bay fees"?

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:
Rekarp wrote:I actually charge a "Paypal" fee if the person buying something from me wants to go through paypal. If the buyer wants protection he has to pay for it, not me. I accept money orders and checks.
Still get e-bay fees, but good idea. Could say something like "Also after the auction I will charge X percentage of final sale for e-bay fees"?
No and no. Both of those (especially the PayPal one) are against eBay policies. They will pull your auction if they catch you adding fees like that.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:38 pm

Indeed, and it is also bad practice as the buyer expects (rightly) to pay the bid and shipping price and not hidden extras.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:44 pm

jperryss wrote:
Dr. KillGood wrote:
No and no. Both of those (especially the PayPal one) are against eBay policies. They will pull your auction if they catch you adding fees like that.
I don't sell my portables on Ebay so I make the rules.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:31 am

anotherperson wrote:I word my auctions suggesting all of the above and send potential winners a message explicitly stating my terms. For example, I said in a recent auction "prefer cash on delivery over paypal" and e-mailed the final bidder before closure stating that I only supported cash on delivery. This seems to work fine although I don't sell very frequently.

PayPal and eBay are necessary evils. Once you get burned a few times it becomes necessary to play them at their own game.
Starting in late October at least for the US, they are going PayPal ONLY .... No Cash. :(
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:52 am

Then use a substitute. Once eBay no longer monopolizes the internet trading community, it will be forced to not shove pineapples up people's bumbums!

Competition = lower prices, fairer rules.

All we need is one person to create an eBay clone that allows more than paypal, make it trustworthy to millions, and you're set.
Hey, sup?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:23 am

Kurt_ wrote:Then use a substitute. Once eBay no longer monopolizes the internet trading community, it will be forced to not shove pineapples up people's bumbums!

Competition = lower prices, fairer rules.

All we need is one person to create an eBay clone that allows more than paypal, make it trustworthy to millions, and you're set.
I linked to two of them earlier :wink:
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 pm

is etsy.com any good?

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:29 pm

Well it's classic vertical scaling. eBay gets a cut of each auction, THEN Paypal (owned by eBay) gets a cut of the payment transaction. So what would that make the total? 8% of every sale.

Of course I'll point out that when a company makes money people get all up in arms (eBay, Microsoft, oil companies, etc) but when companies are in the crapper people cry and bawl too (GM, mortgage banks)

Speaking of oil BS, did the rest of the country experience the BS 30 cent "hurricane tax" on Saturday, then have it magically drop 30 cents today?

The per-barrel is getting so low there's really no reason we shouldn't be sub-3 per gallon, but that probably won't happen for whatever dumb reason.

Course the oil companies are "evil" for overcharging, which of course sucks, but for some reason companies like Apple get their poles polished for doing the same thing.

Go Ford!

-Ben

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

LOL FORD? WTF their cars suck? They only make good trucks.
LOL FORD? WTF their cars suck? They only make good trucks.

Also the gas around here was like $3.50/gal for a week then it shot up to $3.99/gal AND now their are "shortages" and all buy a few gas stations actually have gas. It is like how Nintendo is creating Wii shortages so when you see one you damn well better buy it! Just because their is less gas to be had, yes I do have to buy as much as I can when I see it copulate YOU!

LETS START A RIOT! Get your pitch forks!

Also lets start Ben-Bay!

LETS START A RIOT! Get your pitch forks!

Also lets start Ben-Bay!

EDIT: WOAH!

If you put "->" and "<the> test <-

EDIT2: The WTF?

WAIT I SEE IT!

"<-" "->" MAKES <test>

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:57 pm

benheck wrote: Course the oil companies are "evil" for overcharging, which of course sucks, but for some reason companies like Apple get their poles polished for doing the same thing.
Only difference is, Apple doesn't have the US Government restricting supply of iPods for goddamn polar bears. :P