portable emulator system

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

watermelon
portable emulator system

Post by watermelon » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:55 pm

its all very well modding consoles into portbles, but what about making a portable computer with a hard drive so you could store hundreds of games and multiple emulators.

has anyone done this before?

the only limiting factors i can see are cost and power consumtion. i dont have a clue what the power consumtion of a mini motherboard is to be honest.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:07 pm

Done? No.

Talked about? Yes.

Another thing you may want to look into is the GP32. It can emulate systems from the 16-bit age and older, which is the best a computer can do anyway (though I'm sure N64 is better, I haven't really tried, though.)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:14 pm

1 word: DCp.
PS360Wii Fanboy FTW!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:15 pm

There is also the Dreamcast. You portablize that and you can run emulators for 16 or < systems.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

watermelon

Post by watermelon » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:46 pm

the GP32 looks really good.

but first of all it only has two buttons, useless for snes games which are what i will be playing the most.

and the memory card just isnt big enough for what i want.

two buttons, what were they thinking?!

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:58 pm

it also has the shoulder buttons and select/start buttons. There aren't very many SNES games that use all buttons at once, and you can change the configuration by tapping select. It's really not that bad once you use it :)

As for Genesis, select is a, b is b, and a is c, in the same order as a Genny pad.

When you go older than that, you don't need too many buttons :)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:00 pm

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

www.oqo.com

A dam small Windows XP computer.

Build a hat-mount for it, attach a USB game controller, and play away.

Just need the cash first.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:11 pm

Wow and all you have to do is either sell your arms or sell your soul to Satan. So which is it never play games again or go to hell? All for a computer that has a full function keyboard too small to use properly.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:13 pm

But if you install joystick-to-mouse on it, you will never have to use that tiny keyboard. (or use a Palm Pilot stylus or something.) I mean, people type text into cell phones using those 12 keys. I find that more annoying.

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:56 am

Buy a mini-itx mobo and use a laptop hard drive or an Mp3 Player Hard-Drive, I'm doing something called the N-Forcer, which is an ultra-small PC with a 3" DVD Drive (like gamecube) and a 20GB hard drive, which will run games directly from the 3" CD's and save to a compact flash card, also games can be installed.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

makuraken

Post by makuraken » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:38 am

I can write emails with a small Japanese cell phone very quick (and in Japanese and english). Just takes some practice but your fingers are naturally very nimble little things.
When in Japan with access to just about every system ever made and those that have yet to see international soil, gather your forces, and make the cool ones your own.

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:14 pm

I can do text messages easy, i'm just going to make mine without a keyboard, if it works properly, it won't even need one.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:02 pm

You could always get a Pocket PC PDA. Dell has some real performers for not much money.

On my Pocket PC I have emulators for:
SNES (Pocket SNES Bleeding Edge)
NES (Pocket NESter)
Game Gear/SMS (CE/GG)
Atari (Stela)
PC Engine/TurboGraphix (YameCE)
Game Boy Classic/Color/Super Game Boy (YameCE)
Game Boy Advance (Morphgear)

I have emulators for Sega Genesis, but can't get them to run. :( There are PSX emulators (need a beefier PPC than the one I have now to have full speed), DOS emulators (play those old school MS-DOS games), Amiga emulators, and more. You can fit a fair amount of roms on a 1GB SD card.

Control isn't all that great on most PPCs, but there are gamepads for certain iPaqs, a Bluetooth gamepad coming out, and this IR PSX pad adapter might come out sometime soon.

I'm considering building an Ultra-Portable PC as well. I already have an EBX formfactor (footprint of a CDROM drive) Socket 370 motherboard, decent low-power processor (Via C3), and a 20GB laptop HD. Now all I need is money for the rest. :?

this-is-me
Location:Sitting here watching the shootout between Unidentified Assilant and Electric Rain on my TV

Post by this-is-me » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:30 pm

All you need for a mini keyboard is this:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41136

I have one and it is great for a small pc. It's tiny and still has almost full functionality.
Who else would I be?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:39 pm

Neat little keyboard,you found This-is-me. Would be a nice easy way to get a PDA sized keyboard and without having to hack a PDA keyboard (which are typically low-voltage serial).

Any novell ideas for batteries anyone? I'm thinking of using a PSOne battery, 7.5V in a not too terrible formfactor. Question is how many Amp Hours it can provide. Looks like the typical one can provide 2 hours of use for a PSOne with LCD, how many Amps does the PSOne draw?