Dream Project

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Turknatr12
360 GamerTag:turknatr
Location:Richland Center, Wisconsin, USA, North America, Earth
Dream Project

Post by Turknatr12 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:14 pm

I was trying to sleep last night, and I started thinking, "why do I keep doing *attempted* portables of these systems, when I know only one holds a special place in my heart?" I was thinking, "why don't I just go after the project I've been waiting for all my life?". My all time favorite most memorable system is the Genesis, by a long shot. I was raised by such noble heroes as, Sonic The Hedgehog, Toejam and Earl, The Monopoly Guy, Ryu, and Mr. X. (well maybe not Mr. X.)

I have decided that no matter how much it costs me, before I get a full time job for life, I MUST make a Sega Genesis Portable. But I don't want just another nomad. I want a very good effort, top notch design, good efficient battery life, minimal wasted space, fully operational Genesis Laptop (think Wii laptop sized).

So I was wondering what everyone's dream projects are. Please make it something that is actually possible but you just don't have the time, money, motivation, skills, etc.
"Look at you, flying through the air majestically, like an eagle piloting a blimp."
http://www.youtube.com/user/RMSJaggers?feature=guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:17 pm

I wish I can build a PS1 portable or even a NES.

I don't have the funding. :(

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:36 pm

A portable that plays GBA, NES, GBC, GBO, SNES, SMS, and atari 2600 games, with expandable storage, a backlit screen, membrane buttons (Not tact switch) a GPS system, bluetooth headset sound, FM radio, universal IR tv remote, USB charging, USB gadget charger, 20 watt amp, built in li-po battery, emergency AA slot, multiplayer port, MP3 player, video player, ebook reader, and a standard headphone jack.

All in a case the size of a GBO.

That is my dream portable. I don't think it will ever be built though, the awesomeness would be so great as to make the earth explode. :lol:

Excellent

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 pm

dreamcast portable. the perfect way to honor my favorite system
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:29 pm

i would love to have the smallest possible snes portable using original hardware. that is by far my favorite system, and it deserves to be completely awesome as a portable.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:24 pm

My dream project would be the N64p I've been meaning to make for about two years now. :lol:
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

chad78

Post by chad78 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:34 pm

A pocketable handheld that could play (emulate?) everything from an Atari 800 to an Xbox ... Hey, you said to dream, right? With a 4" high-res screen and a projector. And all the controls you would need for that.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:53 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:My dream project would be the N64p I've been meaning to make for about two years now. :lol:
Same here, but its been three years for me.

kasar

Post by kasar » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:23 pm

my dream portables would be :

* the smaller gcp posible,with dvd patched with xenogc, and mobo patched with a qoob pro + bba, controller, batteries and screen built in (wich support ntsc ,pal50 and pal60 ) and lot of discs of homebrew and linux apps for it

*a modified laptop with at least 2 or 3 patched wireless wificards for run it under aircrack and aireplay (listen and inject packets) and with lot of battery life and some homemade directional and omnidirectional antennas (the perfect tool for any wifi network intruder)

my cuarent old laptop can only capture packets with airodump and take its time to crack wep with aircrack :?

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:37 pm

My dream one is an xbox laptop(Original)
CNC casing(First halo style)
Softmodded/Hardmodded
Full functioning keyboard and mouse
A screen the size of the mobo(Just like a real laptop)
as thin as possible
And batteries in it-It can be done!(Note above I said "As posible)

Now all I need is the money, tools,know how(Suck at softmods)and where to find a screen the size I need that is not a fancy 19" Vga- like a 10-15"(Have looked for 2 years now and can not find any that I need :x )

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:44 pm

To be honest with you, for the longest time I was going to undertake a project where I got some ultra tiny form-factor motherboard, custom wired controls and the like, wired up a screen, etc. and ran an ultra slimmed down Windows distro (or maybe Linux, I wasn't sure) and use it as an emulation hub for PS1/N64-ish and down. I was actually going to start buying parts for something like this, and in my search, found the BeagleBoard. Thought it would be perfect, but lo and behold, someone already beat me to it. :lol: Now if the damn thing ever comes out...

As far as a project within my grasp goes, there was a guy who built a portable SNES (not on this site, unfortunately), that had some sort of flash device in it preloaded with every SNES ROM ever that ran via the original SNES hardware. Something like that would probably be my "dream" project, using the RetroDuo and a PSX screen to make an ultra thin, super small SNESp. I still might do it someday, but probably not at least until my Senior year of high school. Junior year's gonna suck so hard!

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:46 pm

Build my own car.

-Ben

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:26 am

benheck wrote:Build my own car.
:lol:

I would love to see ben´s land master
Last edited by kasar on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:04 am

I just adored Vomitsaw's Super Genintari. I'd love to build one of my own, and add N64, 32X, maybe substitute a 7800 for the 2600... I'm not sure. His idea was so brilliant. I'd really love to add my GC and PS2 into the mix, but I'm not too keen on the idea of multiple disc drives. I think they take up a lot more room than cart slots, but I suppose it doesn't matter if it's a home console.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:01 am

My dream project? Sega Neptune portable. Have it partially designed already. Might throw a CD-addon for good measure :wink:
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."