The Dark Knight

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:54 pm

CFC Fodder wrote:Incredibly intelligent and artistic, he's also maniacal, homicidal, and a touch psychopathic and schizophrenic.
Just 'a touch' psychopathic? That, my good sir, is an understatement.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:43 pm

Life of Brian wrote:Just got back. I'm so glad they changed the actress for Rachel Dawes. Much much better.

I kept laughing at what the Joker would do, and then felt bad about it immediately after because it was so wrong... but awesome.
I feel you on that last part, man. So many people in the theater were chuckling at his actions, and I sat there and thought to myself, "How the hell is that funny?" The sheer duality of it all was brilliantly done.

Though the first part, I'd have to disagree with you on. I didn't think Holmes was very good as Dawes in the first movie, but Gyllenhaal was just AWFUL in my opinion. The one bad spot, I'd say. Batman Begins set her up as a character who was diligent and hard-lined against crime, but in this one she played the simple ditzy damsel role. Maybe it was just the writing, but meh. :P
Last edited by CronoTriggerfan on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:09 am

I found this movie to be quite good, though I still consider the gold-standard comic book movie to be Spider-Man 2 and found the original Batman Begins very overrated.

(Compared to Batman begins) Action is filmed better, movie starts faster, Heath Ledger is quiet awesome, and the movie "breathes" better than the first (is longer and thus doesn't feel as rushed)

I didn't have any real problems with Katie Holmes in the first film, and Maggie doesn't really do anything better in my opinion. Though Bale does ham it up a bit, croaking out his Batman lines in such a way it's borderline comical (especially near the end)

Gary Oldman is great as always, for someone who usually plays a villain, it's amazing how good of a "good guy" he can play.

Probably technically a better "movie" than Iron Man, but not nearly as fun.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:35 am

did they change the batmobile to be more recognizable than the Batman Begins one? I thought they took it a little too far with that one.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Well, they blew it up so there's definitely going to be a new Batmobile in the next movie.

Edit: Oh yeah, spoiler alert...
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:59 pm

Even if I wasn't a fan of the comics, that movie was so well done it could have starred Boogerman in place of batman, and it still would have rocked.

Joker was like "woah" you're thinking "this dude is really crazy!" you dont even think about the acting. Not at all what I was expecting for the part, joker typically being a laugh happy moron. So it was much better than what I expected.

Batman, eh, i think Christian was great as bruce wayne. As batman, he sounds way to pissed off all the time. His head looked to big for his neck too... :| And some of the gadgets were over the top even for james bond. But all was still amazing.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:19 pm

Chapel wrote:
CFC Fodder wrote:Incredibly intelligent and artistic, he's also maniacal, homicidal, and a touch psychopathic and schizophrenic.
Just 'a touch' psychopathic? That, my good sir, is an understatement.
Okay, especially given the new movie, I have to hand you that. He's quite insane. :D

I went and saw the new one, and I liked it. The only thing I didn't like was the music. It felt like I was at a rave closer towards the end of the movie, with the music drowning out the dialogue- especially the last line that was said. I'm sure it was something beautiful and inspiring, but at that point, I was so angry about the music getting progressively louder, that I couldn't have cared less what it was, even if I could hear it.

gamecube6

Post by gamecube6 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:10 pm

Life of Brian wrote:I kept laughing at what the Joker would do, and then felt bad about it immediately after because it was so wrong...
That proves just how dark this movie is. like the scene where he makes the pencil "disappear"

It's really a shame that the actor for the joker died. He played the part perfectly.

combatking0

Post by combatking0 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:54 am

I'll be seeing this in a week or two hopefully.

I'm just glad George Clooney isn't in this, as his bat suit had too much detail around the chest area.

How does Christian Bale rate against Adam West as Batman? I saw Batman Begins a few years ago, and I've forgotten most of it now. I'll have a sort through my DVD collection and see.
The difference between breaking and hacking is skill.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:49 pm

gamemasterAS wrote:I think that might have been the best movie I ever saw.

When it ended I was sad it had to end, such a good movie.
Agreed.

Great movie, just great.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:52 pm

I'm going to see it again later this week I thought it was so good. :D

Did anyone else get psyched about the Watchmen trailer? I read the comic a while back, and it was really good, I recommend it to anyone who likes superhero drivel but also has half a brain and can appreciate the multi-layered complexities about humanity it presents. Anyways, I was sniffing around their site, and it seems David Hayter did a lot of the work on the screenwriting. For those of you who aren't MGS fans, he was the voice actor for Solid Snake, among many other things.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:58 am

I saw it on IMAX and they didn't show the Watchmen trailer there, or any trailers.

HazmatB

Post by HazmatB » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:29 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:I'm going to see it again later this week I thought it was so good. :D

Did anyone else get psyched about the Watchmen trailer? I read the comic a while back, and it was really good, I recommend it to anyone who likes superhero drivel but also has half a brain and can appreciate the multi-layered complexities about humanity it presents. Anyways, I was sniffing around their site, and it seems David Hayter did a lot of the work on the screenwriting. For those of you who aren't MGS fans, he was the voice actor for Solid Snake, among many other things.
Biggest problem is that the author of Watchmen doesn't want it to be made into a movie.

DK

Post by DK » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:50 pm

I loved and hated that film at the same time. I loved the darker aspects of it, but I always loved the Golden Era Batman so it was a bit weird to watch, especially the change to Two Face's and Jokers back stories. Still advise everyone to watch it.

Just hope they bring back The Riddler soon, always loved him :D

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:44 pm

HazmatB wrote:Biggest problem is that the author of Watchmen doesn't want it to be made into a movie.
Yeah, I hear you on that one. The only problem I see is that they won't be able to capture all of the complex societal statements in a two hour movie. I mean, there's a lot to that series that shouldn't be brushed over. Robert Downey Jr. as The Comedian looked great. Wonder who they got to play Rorschach, best character ever, IMO.

I guess it's a toss-up if it'll be good. His last comic translated to a movie, V for Vendetta, turned out pretty damn good, but I can't say the same for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...
DK wrote:Just hope they bring back The Riddler soon, always loved him :D
No doubt in my mind he'll be the main villain in the third movie. What with the cops after Batman now, and all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't The Riddler get his start helping the cops track down Batman to fuel his own agenda?