Portable-Palooza (voting thread opened!)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Pass

Post by Pass » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 am

I know my opinion doesn't really matter, but I don't see why gordan can't just finish 10 days early. Unless that time has already passed, in which case I'm a moran. (Moron? Spelling?)
Last edited by Pass on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:16 am

Maybe I'm missing something here:
6) Portables will be encouraged to be STARTED on the day of commencement of the contest, so the time limit will be forced onto everyone. Go ahead and cheat though, whatever. :P

Pass

Post by Pass » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:22 am

^That was before there was a huge, awesome, mega, super, deluxe prize though.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:24 am

hailrazer wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here:
6) Portables will be encouraged to be STARTED on the day of commencement of the contest, so the time limit will be forced onto everyone. Go ahead and cheat though, whatever. :P
ok. i would like to enter the handyduo then. i've only been working on it since march. but if we can cheat, whatever! :roll:
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 am

lovablechevy wrote:
ok. i would like to enter the handyduo then. i've only been working on it since march. but if we can cheat, whatever! :roll:
I'm wondering who died and made you PortablePalooza official Spokesman ?
You obviously think you are.

Roll your eyes at someone else and try to have a mature discussion will you ?

If the members think Gordon is cheating, then they won't vote for him.
Seems quite simple to me.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:43 am

hailrazer wrote:
lovablechevy wrote:
I'm wondering who died and made you PortablePalooza official Spokesman ?
You obviously think you are.

Roll your eyes at someone else and try to have a mature discussion will you ?

If the members think Gordon is cheating, then they won't vote for him.
Seems quite simple to me.
wow.

i never claimed to be the official spokesman. and no, i by no means think i am, thank you very much.

i've stated several times that this is where i stand. i know i am not the final decision maker on this. i am just pointing out the obvious.

fine, he can enter. whatever. but what is the point in having official rules of a contest if we're not going to follow them.

and i was rolling my eyes at how utterly ridiculous it is to agree we can all cheat. obviously i'm not going to enter a project i've been working on since march because i believe in following rules. i've been pointing out all the obvious in very mature ways. there has been nothing immature about what i've said. if you want to take it as i was rolling my eyes at you, go right ahead. but that is not how that was meant to be taken.

and i case you hadn't noticed, hailrazer, i am not alone in believing he should not be able to enter.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:49 am

lovablechevy wrote:
wow.

i never claimed to be the official spokesman. and no, i by no means think i am, thank you very much.

i've stated several times that this is where i stand. i know i am not the final decision maker on this. i am just pointing out the obvious.

fine, he can enter. whatever. but what is the point in having official rules of a contest if we're not going to follow them.

and i was rolling my eyes at how utterly ridiculous it is to agree we can all cheat. obviously i'm not going to enter a project i've been working on since march because i believe in following rules. i've been pointing out all the obvious in very mature ways. there has been nothing immature about what i've said. if you want to take it as i was rolling my eyes at you, go right ahead. but that is not how that was meant to be taken.

and i case you hadn't noticed, hailrazer, i am not alone in believing he should not be able to enter.
Ok sorry then, I misunderstood some posts I guess.

And yea it does seem weird but why do the rules state to cheat ? That one was strange to me. Maybe it should have been "Go ahead and cheat if you didn't already post about it so everyone knows you're cheating" :)

And I personally don't think Gordon1 should be able to enter either, but this isn't my contest to decide that, so I was just going to not vote for him :) (Sorry Gordon....but I do admire you trying to fit all that in a ZN-40 case)

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:51 am

Yup. I too am not bothered about a prize. I stated this a while back. For me, pride and reputation is the buzz in this compo, not financial reward.

In fact, I would go as far as saying, completely truthfully, and I state it clearly now, that if I were to win, I would be extremely elated by having my project on Ben's front page; maybe a booster title like "Master Portablizer" or similar title. I would happily offer all of the prizes on offer (generous of your offer hailrazer BTW) to anyone who will portablize them and gain benefit from them or who offers the most to a charity for them - I would let hailrazer decide (his prize offer after all).

It is not a case of "there would not be an issue if there was no prize" but IT IS is a matter of integrity; hence a project that started before the compo started has to be automatically disqualified, else it makes a joke of the event.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:01 am

Anyone have any WIP pictures? My parts for my second entry should be coming in soon
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:38 am

Oh I love it when people single me out! A good argument is a beautiful thing!
Gordon1 wrote:
mothatrucka wrote: No, I'm not saying that. I owned my parts before the compo, but all the planning, designing, and most importantly, the work have all happened within the competition deadlines. Now that you've admitted you've done bondo work before, I'm even less inclined to accept it.

Of course, you've yet to prove you can finish it early, so until you do, that's a moot point as far as I'm concerned. Until it's done, you haven't proved you're even capable of working under the same time limit.

I suppose, if you really want to enter it, you could. It is a vote open to the entire forum, and I'm not the only person who looked at that shade of orange and felt like puking. Besides, one of the things voting on is originality, and another N64 in a pre-formed case? Booooo-ring.

Apparently, you missed as well the entire point of the competition. It's not to win, it's to have a portable you're proud of. I know I'm not going to win, you all hate me and think I'm an ass. Your opinions, think that all you want. Doesn't bother me. However, at the end, if all goes well, I will have a portable I am proud of, and that's what it's really all about. Others agree with me on that, even if they don't like anything else I have to say.
Well, unlike most of you I just plan as I go. That is why so much stuff got ordered in late July. As I'm sure you know, bondoing in plastic takes maybe 2-3hrs. what I did do from July 20th on is all of the hard stuff. Not to mention like 10+hrs of screwing around with spot putty. as for the until it's done statement, I explain my situation later in this post. You know what, I like the colour of my portable, and if you don't, you can piss off. I like my orange, I am PROUD of my portable. Since you seem to know everything, I would really like to see something you have made. Really, because it looks to me that you are all talk and no action. So, until then stop mouthing off until you earn some respect/credit from other people. Also as far as I know, this will be if not the smallest n64p (the dimensions of the n63 lite are unknown) it will be pretty damn close. And it even has an internal battery. Do you wanna guess how much my case cost me? I will tell you anyway..... $0.00.

Also, My goal it to only use the zn-40 and zn-45. I is more of a challenge (and more fun) to make a console fit the case you have at hand than to build your own.

Ok, so in review; I am sick of all this BS, so here is where I stand; I only have till Friday morning to finish this thing. So, on Friday morning if I have it finished I will post it as a competition entry. From Friday on, I am in Toronto and will obviously be unable to work on it. You guys can accept it or not, I am really quite sick of all of the politics that have been swarmed around a competition that was designed to be fun (and encourage people to work one these). I also strongly believe that there would not be an issue of there was no prize. I could really care less about the prize, I just like to show my hard work to people I thought I liked. As far as I am concerned most of you are being whiny little brats about this. If you look at it, I am building something in the span of 5 weeks. It is less that the time given, but 10 days off. So, I have 24 things to do on this project and I'm going to bust my ass to get it done. And if that isn't what a competition is about then yes I am very mistaken on my understanding of a competition.
First and foremost, yet again, you seem to have missed the point I was trying to make. People do this so much. Is it really so hard to read everything before you start typing? Go back and read the part I made bold. Again, NOT my final decision to make, whether it's accepted or not, but if majority votes it's acceptable, I'd abide by that decision. However, if you lose and start whining again, that's your own damn problem. Interestingly enough, neither I nor Chev are alone in thinking it shouldn't count.

I also, coincidentally, plan as I go. Keeps the mind limber, I find. I've hit a few rough spots in this, but I've worked my way past them all. Interestingly enough, you've managed to miss yet another point of mine. In the end, you are right. It is YOUR portable, it can be any colour you like. (Pink Floyd FTW!) However, when it goes to the vote, people are going to be affected by that. Accept it. Be proud of your work, by all means, I encourage that. Don't expect everyone else to be as big a fan of it as you are, though.

And yet again, missing another point, I have posted a WIP, just not in this thread. Since I know you'd rather female of the dog species than go look for it, here it is, so you can continue griping at me without feeling this nagging thought in the back of your mind that you really are ignorant.
I don't post everything I do here because I lack the camera equipment and the desire to want to impress people like you. I'm here for the knowledge, not the show-and-brag. I'm more interested in working than posting huge pics and logs of every time I look at the case. Frankly, I couldn't care less about this "respect and credibility" you're blathering on about. I am NOT a popular member here, and I don't give a flying rat's rear end. I get what I want from here, you're all perfectly free to think I'm an ass. Makes no difference to me.

So you say we can "accept it or not"? Interesting. Seeing as that's what was going to happen anyway, your rant doesn't really seem to matter. I don't know why we needed to know about your entire life's situation in relation to this, TMI as far as I'm concerned. As far as their being no issue if there was no prize, now honestly ask yourself this: would you be female of the dog species so much about not being accepted if there was no prize? The only people I see playing politics are the people trying to bend the rules to their advantage. As far as I'm concerned, Triton's SNES is unacceptable, Chev's Handy Duo is unacceptable, Bacteria's Full-size multi-platform is unacceptable, LoB's Commissioned SNES is unacceptable, your N64 is unacceptable, and HBN's HBN64 (assuming it ever sees the light of day again) is unacceptable. You are the only one whining and crying about this, the others have all turned their energy to different projects. You could take a lesson from them all.

Oh, Rekarp, I guess I am posting a WIP here. It's actually got a slightly different screen now, though.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:51 pm

i would HARDLY call setting parts on top of a case "being started" on building a portable. what, if anything, did he actually DO construction wise before the start of the contest? if all he did was gather parts and kinda figure some things out i would NOT consider that to be starting ahead of time, MANY of us have parts on hand at any given time i wouldnt consider that cheating.

and just for the record unless you are using it in a VERY unorthodox way or radically modifying it i consider the ZN40 case to be the epitome of lack of creativeness as far as portables are concerned.

also if people cant stop pissing and moaning about the rules and whatnot on this contest as far as im concerned it can be called off, it was supposed to be a fun little competition to show off our skills!
Triton's SNES is unacceptable, Chev's Handy Duo is unacceptable, Bacteria's Full-size multi-platform is unacceptable, LoB's Commissioned SNES is unacceptable, your N64 is unacceptable, and HBN's HBN64 (assuming it ever sees the light of day again) is unacceptable.
all of this was established when the contest timeline was set out, i was against such a short deadline to begin with but i aparently didnt have a say in the matter, in my personal opinion 6 weeks is scarcely enough time to do a portable when you have other obligations to fulfill (eg work, comissioned projects, family obligations etc)

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:59 pm

Triton wrote:
i would HARDLY call setting parts on top of a case "being started" on building a portable. what, if anything, did he actually DO construction wise before the start of the contest? if all he did was gather parts and kinda figure some things out i would NOT consider that to be starting ahead of time, MANY of us have parts on hand at any given time i wouldnt consider that cheating.
i would agree that gathering of materials and planning is perfectly fine. but he has admitted to actual work. he bondoed the screen in before the contest started (20th). even before the rules were set in place (18th).
Triton wrote:aslo, if chevy gets to enter the handyduo i wanna enter my snes! that should make for lively competition, even tho i started it 4 or 5 months ago :lol:
LOL! i was just kidding. i'm not gonna enter the handyduo. however, i do believe i've finally figured out how to finish it and will do so after the contest.
Triton wrote:all of this was established when the contest timeline was set out, i was against such a short deadline to begin with but i aparently didnt have a say in the matter, in my personal opinion 6 weeks is scarcely enough time to do a portable when you have other obligations to fulfill (eg work, comissioned projects, family obligations etc)
amen!

btw, i really like your snesp you're working on!
Last edited by lovablechevy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 pm

Triton wrote: and just for the record unless you are using it in a VERY unorthodox way or radically modifying it i consider the ZN40 case to be the epitome of lack of creativeness as far as portables are concerned.

ago :lol:
Why is that?

It's a case that has to be modified to make a portable system.

It's no different than using a N64 case an modifying it, or even using a large controller and modifying it.

If what you're saying is true , the only real creativeness would be a vacuum formed case or a CNC case.

And when the first person used a Zn-40 case EVERYONE thought it was awesome. But now because a few people have used them, it's not ????

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:03 pm

Triton wrote:
Agreed.
and just for the record unless you are using it in a VERY unorthodox way or radically modifying it i consider the ZN40 case to be the epitome of lack of creativeness as far as portables are concerned.
The ZN40 case is cool but I have been seeing more modders lean on this pre built case. Now if you don't have the facilities to build your own case I understand but I want to see a bit more creativity when it comes to case design. Its basically getting to the point where its like. "Oh another ZN40..." (sry LoB!! 8) )

See Triton's franken cases to see what I mean. I am pretty sure all he does throws parts in a box and shakes it up till something resembles a case. :P There is no way you plan those creations Triton! :lol:
also if people cant stop pissing and moaning about the rules and whatnot on this contest as far as im concerned it can be called off, it was supposed to be a fun little competition to show off our skills!
HEY thats skillz with a Z!
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:08 pm

i think they can look nice and be of nice quality but taking a ready made project box and putting holes for buttons and a screen in it isnt exactly creative in the least, reusing the original system shell in an unusual way, building frankencases like i do, designing a custom vac formed case etc are all much more creative than using a glorified project box. its just to me a rectangle wit buttons and a screen = boring, be unorthodox with your designs, do something new instead of following the herd and using a zn40 because its easy or because everyone else is and its tried and true.

also i was going to say in my last post i think gordons entry should be allowed, at most he did a couple hours work before the contest began i would hardly call putting the screen frame and buttons in the front of the shell a massive head start or anything.
See Triton's franken cases to see what I mean. I am pretty sure all he does throws parts in a box and shakes it up till something resembles a case. Razz There is no way you plan those creations Triton! Laughing
your damn right i dont :lol: i start out with a rough idea of what i want and just start building till i get there! its mostly trial and error with a good bit of experience in building stuff like this that gets the results that i do