japnese phones

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

grahf

Post by grahf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:38 pm

Harshboy wrote: In America, A company like Verizon would sell that phone for like $300.
Yeah they definitely would. Actually, if you buy it here without a contract, it would cost almost the same. Contracts here are easy to get though, no credit checks.

About all the "useless" features, they aren't so useless here. In the US, I drove everywhere. So even though I had a T-Mobile Sidekick, I didn't really use it's features during my commute. Here in Japan (in Tokyo at least), EVERYONE takes the train or subway. In fact there is never more than a 10 minute walk to to the nearest station. The trains can get really crowded, and talking on the phone is considered super rude. There are signs everywhere making sure you don't forget it either.
So consider sitting or standing on a train for your 30 minute ride to work/school. Those useless features seem mighty interesting! Watching TV on a 3" screen? Its not bad when you're holding the phone in front of your face on the train.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:15 am

I don't consider them useless...

Phoning people is old fashioned. Say I go down town too meet people? A quick "where are you? i'll meet ya in 15 mins @ HMV" or something kind of text is useful.

Browser, say i'm going birmingham for the day it's a 40 minute train ride, a browser on my phone? pass time?

Games, see above.

Some of you seem a bit out of touch with this =/
(Especially when people use them while driving, or in any public place for that matter, and tune out the world around them. And most of the time the conversation is completely pointless.)
Yeah, talking in public is what mobile phones are for?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:50 am

Negative_Creep wrote:
(Especially when people use them while driving, or in any public place for that matter, and tune out the world around them. And most of the time the conversation is completely pointless.)
Yeah, talking in public is what mobile phones are for?
Talking is one thing. Yelling into the phone / Bluetooth earphone so loud that you can be heard halfway across the store while simultaneously plowing down the aisles with reckless abandon is completely different.

EDIT:
Valium wrote:The only thing I hate about cellphones, are when you are talking to someone in person, and they get a text, and then proceed to text the person back. It's rude.
UGH I HATE it when people do that!
Last edited by bicostp on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:00 am

The only thing I hate about cellphones, are when you are talking to someone in person, and they get a text, and then proceed to text the person back. It's rude.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:50 am

Valium wrote:The only thing I hate about cellphones, are when you are talking to someone in person, and they get a text, and then proceed to text the person back. It's rude.
It's rude to ignore people when they text you.

My mate is always texting someone when he's talking to me. Doesn't bother me =/

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:18 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:

It's more rude to interrupt a conversation to text someone back.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:00 pm

Valium wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:

It's more rude to interrupt a conversation to text someone back.
Most people can talk and text back at the same time. It's not exactly difficult, perhaps some people are just really uptight and need to not take everything as ignorant? Seriously.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:08 pm

I know growing up, if I interrupted a conversation my mom was having on the phone, I'd get smacked.

Consider too, that if you're talking on a cellphone while waiting to get served at the bank or a deli for instance, they might refuse to service you while you are on your phone- it is seen as quite rude to have more than one conversation going on, I hate to say. Ignorant? No, people like to know that they are your focus, not something else.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:10 pm

If a pimply faed loser working in a fast food joint ignored me my service because I was probably texting i'd knock him out, or just go somewhere else where they value custom.

At a place like a bank, talking on the phone shouldnt be allowed.

I really don't care though when somebody is texting somebody else and talking to me. No reason to get all mad =/

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:30 pm

Yes, it is impolite and, in my opinion, completely unacceptable. The person sending you the message can wait until you finish your conversation. When you go do something else, it conveys to the person you're talking with that you aren't at all interested in what they're talking about and would rather play with your phone. There's no reason you can't leave a text message sitting for 5 minutes, or let a call go to voice mail.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:If a pimply faed loser working in a fast food joint ignored me my service because I was probably texting i'd knock him out, or just go somewhere else where they value custom.

I really don't care though when somebody is texting somebody else and talking to me. No reason to get all mad =/
The only thing I hated about cell phones when I used to work at Starbucks was the people who would come in wearing their blackberries all the time (what are they Borg or something?). They would then start talking on their phone without you realizing that they even picked up their phone. So you are standing there answering someone who doesn't know you think they are talking to you.

It makes me angry just thinking about it... at least don't stare at me when you are in your little blackberry induced trance. :evil:

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:52 pm

God, I hate the earpieces, how hard is it to hold the phone to your ear when not driving? Many a time have I been lured into there trap.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:35 am

Chapel wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:If a pimply faed loser working in a fast food joint ignored me my service because I was probably texting i'd knock him out, or just go somewhere else where they value custom.

The only thing I hated about cell phones when I used to work at Starbucks was the people who would come in wearing their blackberries all the time (what are they Borg or something?). They would then start talking on their phone without you realizing that they even picked up their phone. So you are standing there answering someone who doesn't know you think they are talking to you.

It makes me angry just thinking about it... at least don't stare at me when you are in your little blackberry induced trance. :evil:
I will agree with you on that one for sure, I copulate hate people who work around trying to look all important with their goddamn bluetooth crap. If you want to wear a bluetooth headset and not look like an arse, become a business man.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Yeah I still don't have a cell phone. :x When I get one I'm gonna look for an unlocked one with a QWERTY keyboard.

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:15 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:
Chapel wrote:

I will agree with you on that one for sure, I screw hate people who work around trying to look all important with their goddamn bluetooth crap. If you want to wear a bluetooth headset and not look like an arse, become a business man.
ughh those headsets are so annoying :x